I'm going to give up on flying airplanes on SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 949 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Only zero second orbs and ban lines can bring me down.

And they shall, Brooose! (See what I did there, an ELO reference...never mind. Rough crowd)

It isn't like the orbs give themselves away with signage or flashing lights. In time, someone will have just moved into Belli and set their orb to zero warning. Be a cat hanging ten on the ground in short order.

Gnarly dude.

• Like 1

I have flown an aircraft in SL exactly once, when my landlady made the mistake of leaving a seaplane on the water outside my house with group access.  I borrowed it. 

And somehow managed to get it wedged under a bridge by flying through an archway during the moment of lag following a region crossing. When reality kicked back in, I realised that the archway I had passed through was about half the width of the plane's wingspan. If that was RL I would not only have destroyed the plane, but also brought down the bridge and the road with untold loss of life.

Sadly I have no pics of the catastrophe. And fortunately there were no witnesses.

I'll stick with boats, they're safer.

• Haha 3

I wonder if you use your LI allowance up to the last LI on your land. Can airplanes still cross the land?
Isn't it so that they count on the parcels LI the moment they enter the sky above it until they leave the parcel again?

4 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I wonder if you use your LI allowance up to the last LI on your land. Can airplanes still cross the land?
Isn't it so that they count on the parcels LI the moment they enter the sky above it until they leave the parcel again?

Yes, vehicles can enter a parcel with no available prim allowance, I entered a full parcel with my car just yesterday, and even loitered for a few minutes. If the driver stands the vehicle would then disappear regardless of the land settings, but passing through is no problem at all.

A full region is a different matter, a vehicle would not be able to enter.

• Thanks 1

Cramming a parcel or region full to the brim (maxed out LI) is NOT a good idea so please don't think it is a solution to the problem. It's not. You won't do anything but create a monster that will prevent you from entering your own land. Then you'll have to ask LL to fix it for you.

No, I didn't do it. I know someone who did thinking it would keep people out. It did, including him.

• Haha 1

I was just curious that's all. I don't mind if people use my land to fly over it or sail by.
Doors are always open, and the home bar filled with cold beverages for people passing by.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 4:27 AM, Sister Nova said:

Yes, vehicles can enter a parcel with no available prim allowance, I entered a full parcel with my car just yesterday, and even loitered for a few minutes. If the driver stands the vehicle would then disappear regardless of the land settings, but passing through is no problem at all.

A full region is a different matter, a vehicle would not be able to enter.

I thought if you set it to temp it didn't count in the LI.

I fly a lot.  I do much of what you said, flying over water mostly, avoiding corners, trying not to cross too fast.  One big improvement for me has been the creation of what I call my "travel avatar". He is just a simple biped cat with no AO and very few attachments.  Extremely low script count, and few complex textures.  It is important to DETACH your AO.  Same thing with extraneous HUDs. just turning them off will not reduce your script count at all.  I also have an invisible avatar with complexity 1000 and no AO for critical trips.

I have many planes, but these are the ones I like the best for long trips:

McKeenan 757, hands down the best overall for flying all over the world.  Very very large however.
THI JU-52 wasser.  I love this plane too, but recent changes in simcross behavior (servers slowing you down at crossing) will cause it to lose altitude on crossing.  Be careful.

adventure air sky car.  This is extremely fun and also crosses well, like the others.  It also goes underwater and into space.

Pitts Special (the Japan one available at one of the small shops at tulagi 2000m, not the Dani): this plane can do anything.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2021 at 10:45 PM, Jaylinbridges said:

Try flying nude in a hot air balloon, alone of course.

I tried that, but there's a problem. I can't STAY alone. Ten minutes of drifting over the land and there's fifteen or twenty guys in the gondola.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I tried that, but there's a problem. I can't STAY alone. Ten minutes of drifting over the land and there's fifteen or twenty guys in the gondola.

Region crossings are not guaranteed with 20 guys in the basket, even if nude.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Actually one way to avoid sim crossing lag is to fly slow.For example the D-737 can fly without stalling at 25% throttle flap up this somewhat very unrealistic feature actually helps it survive sim crossing better.Also avoid high prim airports where u smash the tarmac before u can do anything.I occasionally fly my cesna 182 in Blake sea and everything seems fine

On 5/27/2021 at 5:55 AM, Janet Voxel said:

I love boating, but now I'm curious.

What's a good low script airplane to try out?

Planes by Mikoto.I often fly her Cessna 182 and Piper 18.Her models are by helijah uploaded by ZZ ,GTFO enabled,and she gave them to me for free!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed AnaM28. Whether in air or on the water, border crossings have slightly improved on the new servers, but it is still absolutely vital to slow down as much as possible when approaching a border. I'm also careful to never cross the point where the corners of four borders meet. And, as several have said, use as simple an avatar as possible and remove as many scripts / AOs as possible.

Having said that, I have several yachts that are simply sooo huge that they inevitably sink or throw up a script error no matter what precautions I take. These are ones I'll rez on a public boat ramp, take over no more than one border, and moor in open water. Nothing's worse than cruising with friends only to have the boat disappear and everyone fall to the ocean floor. Ugghh.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 949 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.