Newly created orange clouds in Lost Caves area

Rufferta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1036 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been out at Lost Caves twice today, and I keep seeing orange clouds with what look like randomly-generated names and no profiles.  Some of them appear to be inside the stilt houses but aren't moving or rezzing. This is an area which has apparently not been released yet. Anyone have any idea what/who these are?

• Like 1

I took a look at the ones there two of them rezzed as newbie library avatars one has some profile info. if they aren't bots for something like tiny empires or some other purpose, one or more people must be using accounts to monitor/try and get one of the stilts when they're released

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milk Pixelmaid said:

They're other residents. You might need a better computer, or bump your settings up higher!

Speaking as Rufferta's alt:  

Some have profiles and names (one says it is a member of the Naraka Role Play Group)  but they are not responding to chat. Some have no profiles.  There is still one of these latter at Plage Marsouin 95/255/24.   

I remember back in the early days there was a Bellisserean parcel that had an orange cloud that would not go away - I think Patch exorcised it and left a plaque in the spot.  They could also be some of a group of very old avatars that were turned into zombie-bots.

My feelings are hurt that you would think I couldn't tell the difference between a regular resident and an anomaly.

Edited by FluttersAfar
Forgot I changed bodies
  • Like 1

Keep in mind that the log cabins in Lost Caves and Prairie Schooner were recently released, though the stilts are still Protected.  A few lucky residents have been spending time there, doing a bang-up job furnishing their catches!  I've also seen 2 or 3 alts just camping out in the stilt areas, stalking their eventual release.  I haven't been hopping lately, so I didn't recognize those particular alts.  In fact, I left an alt of mine there for a few hours yesterday and today, just to see what was up.  Didn't see any orange clouds, or anything else out of the ordinary.  Today no one started a conversation with my alt (would not have been successful, since I was mostly AFK), tho I did have a nice chat with a homeowner yesterday.  *shrug*

It's a pretty area, tho frankly I am more enamored of the cabins than of the stilts on that coast.  If anyone wants to release a cabin with a water view, I can make some time to try for it ^^ !

• Like 4

Here is a photo of the orange cloud at Plage Marsouin.  (There are actually two there now, both with random number/letter names, no profiles, and no interaction. I tried to pay one a Linden and there was no response.

The orange-cloud-with-a-profile is still at the stilt-house in Lost Caves, although it has moved underwater, indicating some level of intelligence.

I'm still curious - does putting an orange cloud on a to-be-claimed parcel increase your chances of getting it later?

Just wondering. 

plaguephoto.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rufferta said:

Here is a photo of the orange cloud at Plage Marsouin.  (There are actually two there now, both with random number/letter names, no profiles, and no interaction. I tried to pay one a Linden and there was no response.

The orange-cloud-with-a-profile is still at the stilt-house in Lost Caves, although it has moved underwater, indicating some level of intelligence.

I'm still curious - does putting an orange cloud on a to-be-claimed parcel increase your chances of getting it later?

Just wondering. 

plaguephoto.jpg

Yes and No...

No putting an avatar on that plot will not increase your chance of getting that plot.  But in my experience what people are doing is trying to monitor the release of a region.  Now I'm sure Abnor may correct me if I'm wrong on this.  But generally these regions that are going to be hand released because they are not of the cloned variety will at some point get a visit from a Linden to do whatever the Linden needs to do to them before a release.  At some point then that region gets a fresh restart.  

What these people are doing is to try to track a region's release by loitering on those lots usually during the business hours of Linden Labs.  Now say a Linden comes by and restarts that region.  We all know what happens.  Your computer gets that annoying BONG BONG BONG alert like an alarm clock warning you that it is going to shut down.  Now that person loitering there with their avie/alt will ready up their 1, 2, 3, 12, 45 premium accounts to hit the webpage as soon as that region comes back online because most likely that means a release is coming once that region has a Linden present and a restart.

I live in one of the Log homes on Lost Caves so I see this play out EVERY SINGLE WEEKDAY...

And yes it is annoying.... Please Linden Labs just release those stilts already and stop doing half region releases so those of us with homes on the half that are released don't have to see our new home region littered with loitering alts.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rufferta said:

Just wondering. 

plaguephoto.jpg

Thanks for the visuals! I have never seen orange clouds before, just blobs when people aren’t rezzed. I admit I don’t venture off my platform much lol 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milk Pixelmaid said:

Thanks for the visuals! I have never seen orange clouds before, just blobs when people aren’t rezzed. I admit I don’t venture off my platform much lol 

How unrezzed/rezzing avatars look is controlled by the viewer. The main viewer has ghostly white blob clouds. Firestorm has fiery orange clouds. Who knows what excitement other viewers have!

I did take a look at a cloud. They don't appear to be stuck like the old ghost problem, so no need to bring out the gravestones yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

I haven't checked one out, but my guess is that the orange cloud avatars are not unrezzed, but wearing a full-body alpha and a particle system. 

SO amusing.

I started seeing these orange poof cloud avi's after they moved stuff to the cloud. They are just avatars who for one reason or another aren't rezzed to you yet so they show as orange clouds. I don't think they are ghosts or avi's using particle systems. Its just SL being SL lol. As for them being at Lost Caves, I agree with everything Evangeline said. 

• Like 4

They're ghosts! Sometimes it happens for various reasons that the system doesn't quite recognize when someone logs out so it leaves a ghost. This has happened before! There is atleast ONE gravestone that I know about that the Lindens put out to mark one of these ghost phenomena. There is also the legend of the burning bush.  Also, last week there were several times when I wound up as a cloud, unable to fully rez for hours at a time. It happens, but atleast my hair wasn't coming out my butt, nor was I wearing the great stone egg, so there is that. 

https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Phinney/233/79/26

Edited by Gingir Ghoststar
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, Gingir Ghoststar said:

They're ghosts! Sometimes it happens for various reasons that the system doesn't quite recognize when someone logs out so it leaves a ghost. This has happened before! There is atleast ONE gravestone that I know about that the Lindens put out to mark one of these ghost phenomena. There is also the legend of the burning bush.  Also, last week there were several times when I wound up as a cloud, unable to fully rez for hours at a time. It happens, but atleast my hair wasn't coming out my butt, nor was I wearing the great stone egg, so there is that. 

https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Phinney/233/79/26

These aren't ghosts. These are alts waiting to see if these stilts release. Evangeline explained it perfectly. 

• Like 4

Yes, the one in Lost Caves certainly seems to be a stilt lurker; it's underneath one.  I do not, however, know what they would have been doing in already released regions.  Could be a new manifestation of Tiny Empires?  The orange cloud in Lost Caves is wearing a few prims:

11:09:34] name > ((JUNWAVE))YUKO*BROWN*(Click for RESIZE) {Creator} [head]
[11:09:34] name > Skateshoe cherries (l) {Creator} [L foot]
[11:09:34] name > Skateshoe cherries (r) {Creator} [R foot]
[11:09:34] name > prim sock dirteh white (l) {Creator} [L lower leg]
[11:09:34] name > prim sock dirteh white (r) {Creator} [R lower leg]

All these are from reasonable makers, but you can put a particle script in anything mod.  The orange cloud is definitely particles.  The first pic is with particles on in my viewer, the 2nd is with particles off.  I don't know if ghosts that appear as orange clouds are actually particles, it's not impossible, but since particle systems are a script residing in a prim, I kinda doubt it.

ETA: OTOH, why aren't those prims appearing?  What may be happening is this avatar may be logging in from a device that doesn't have enough oomph to bake the avatar, and so it looks ghosted.  If the typist is playing Tiny Empires, I suppose they could be logging in as many avatars as they possibly could from some old computer with no graphics card, why not?

ParticleAvi2.JPG.0edffd05bcb7569f9dd478061cdec619.JPG

ParticleAvi.JPG.1a2b3e15298cb92b282e74449cbfe5fe.JPG

Edited by Nika Talaj

48 minutes ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

The point is that @Patch Linden rezzed a headstone or memory stone himself in both locations. That's all I need to know.  😁

Lol one difference between those orange clouds and these is that those ones did not disappear after LL working hours!

In Prairie Schooner (next to Lost Caves) we currently have.

ParticleAvi.JPG.af444d9a9564584b9cf3df4a581b91a0.JPG

So, now we may know two more facts about this deep mystery. 

1.  They may read the forums.

2.  They have a sense of humor.

This person is wearing only:

[13:24:31] OrangeCloudCamper Resident: OrangeCloudCamper Resident > .:JNS:. Loading Cloud {Creator} [avatar center]
[13:24:31] OrangeCloudCamper Resident: ---------------------------------------------------------------

The only thing unbelievable about this?  Someone apparently paid $L69 for something they can make in their viewer in about 5 minutes.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/JNS-Loading-Cloud/21806031

Build/Object/Edit Particles, folks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Nika Talaj said:

Lol one difference between those orange clouds and these is that those ones did not disappear after LL working hours!

In Prairie Schooner (next to Lost Caves) we currently have.

ParticleAvi.JPG.af444d9a9564584b9cf3df4a581b91a0.JPG

So, now we may know two more facts about this deep mystery. 

1.  They may read the forums.

2.  They have a sense of humor.

This person is wearing only:

[13:24:31] OrangeCloudCamper Resident: OrangeCloudCamper Resident > .:JNS:. Loading Cloud {Creator} [avatar center]
[13:24:31] OrangeCloudCamper Resident: ---------------------------------------------------------------

The only thing unbelievable about this?  Someone apparently paid $L69 for something they can make in their viewer in about 5 minutes.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/JNS-Loading-Cloud/21806031

Build/Object/Edit Particles, folks!

Money is apparently no object for some folks, as we have seen. :) 

• Like 2

I just paid a visit to Lost Caves and saw a day old avi that has a name made up of mine and another forum users name and it's wearing a L$49 Full perm mesh cloud. Some people really do have more money than sense. 

Edited by Fleur Aurelia
spelling
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Fleur Aurelia said:

I just paid a visit to Lost Caves and saw a day old avi that has a name made up of mine and another forum users name and it's wearing a L$49 Full perm mesh cloud. 

Well, that's....straight out of kindergarten. 😂

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1036 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.