New TOS at YouTube - if you post your SL videos there you might want to read this :D

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1065 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For those of you using YouTube for your videos --- and ignore or filter info I am pasting in the newest changes to the TOS there. Happily they TELL YOU EASILY what has changed (clapping there).  Not so happily they of course have the power ("if you didn't pay for the product - you ARE the product") so you may not be too happy with some of the changes. 

Note this apparently affects those outside the US as well :D. 

While I still have my channel, I got tired of the absences of power a long while back so this really doesn't matter much to me.  

image.png.ee2ef6df319c987089464c5a6c1839aa.png

YouTube's 'right to monetize' - This to me reads like they intend to put ads on content that the creator did not want monetized.

Usually the reason the so-called big creators that everyone watch do that is the topic is about someones death or something serious like that where it's inappropriate to be making money off. In general it's because they think it's inappropriate to make money off the subject. But here Google's CEOs are stooping to new lows I suppose.

Curiousity prods me to ask - does their stipulation regarding facial recognition and other identification details apply only to real-life faces, or are they saying that pubishing facial details of a Secondfe or Opensim Avatar is also a breach of their ToS?

I'm assuming that because of the forum this has been posted in, the answer is veering towards a Yes?

When I got this e-mail I was not really surprised but definitely saddened.

I hate YouTube ads, I understand the banner & on-page advertising as they have bills to pay, indirect advertising doesn't affect me legally, but when I click on a 2 minute Tutorial the last thing I want is a commercial pre-video. I want to see the animation you have for sale, not a commercial for an amazing new Lifestyle product.

I post help and tutorial videos for my store and don't want people that see them to have negative feelings from ads being shoved down their throat.

As my channel is not monetized I can post all the (RL) drone footage I want. Without the need for a Drone license.

If they put ads on my content then it becomes 'for profit' and I would be required to get a license and file flight plans every time I wanted to go play with my drone.

Lotta work and a lot of money, possible thousands in FAA fines for not complying.

Looks like it's time to rent a server and go back to hosting my own content, if I want to keep flying and not have ads shoved down my customers throats.

Maybe I'll hook up an OS region too, haven't messed around there in a few.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1065 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.