Advice requested on what should and shouldn't be allowed in posts

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 71 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Posted (edited)

There is a tradition in this forum that it is not appropriate to ask for somebody to write them a script. Such requests are referred to the employment forum.

Should this also apply to people who are apparently asking for advice but in fact are trying to get somebody to visit them inworld to solve their problem for them? 

I feel that soliciting for a helper to go inworld and do something for them is very similar to somebody asking in the forum for a script to be written for them.

The advantages to the forum method are that many people can see and benefit from what is posted, and people can find help by searching the past posts. 

The disadvantages to one-on-one inworld assistance are that nobody else can benefit, offer further advice, or point out errors that both parties might have overlooked. There is no record available to assist future searches for help.

Am I being unfair here? Or should we, when recognising that an attempt is being made to get somebody to go inworld and do stuff for somebody that any competent scripter/builder should be capable of doing themselves, refer them to existing inworld places such as builders brewery, much as we direct script-creation requests elsewhere?

(Note, I am not adverse to going inworld to help, but I do not like to being pushed into doing so)

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku

2 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

There is a tradition in this forum that it is not appropriate to ask for somebody to write them a script. Such requests are referred to the employment forum.

Should this also apply to people who are apparently asking for advice but in fact are trying to get somebody to visit them inworld to solve their problem for them? 

Yes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Or should we, when recognising that an attempt is being made to get somebody to go inworld and do stuff for somebody that any competent scripter/builder should be capable of doing themselves, refer them to existing inworld places such as builders brewery, much as we direct script-creation requests elsewhere?

yes

when a person is wanting inworld personal tuition/coaching/debugging help then I think is appropriate to direct them to ask for this in Wanted or Employment forum.  I think is also appropriate to direct them to inworld scripting service providers like Builders Brewery, NCI, etc who do provide these inworld services

if I wanted to be a inworld scripting coach then I would answer Wanted ads, and/or be a team member of a inworld scripting service provider

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The point of this "rule", as Void Singer once explained it to me, is twofold.  First, the forums are not meant to be places for creators or merchants to drum up business.  Freebie scripts here can be viewed like the "gifts" that shops give to encourage you to walk in and buy more.  Frankly, I am not convinced by that argument.  After all, posting anything in this forum increases a scripter's visibility and does almost the same thing.

Void's second argument, though, was that giving freebie scripts here undermines scripters who are offering their services for pay in the InWorld Employment and Wanted forums.  We are denying our fellow scripters a chance to offer the same scripts and earn L$ for them.  I find that argument more convincing, although I recognize that there is a fuzzy line.  It seems unfair for any scripter to charge for a script that is barely more complicated than "Hello, Avatar", so I feel justified in posting an occasional baby-level script here.  It's up to each of us to decide when a script has crossed the line from being "baby level."    (It's also true, of course, that anyone can post a complicated script in the Script Library.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Void's second argument, though, was that giving freebie scripts here undermines scripters who are offering their services for pay in the InWorld Employment and Wanted forums.  We are denying our fellow scripters a chance to offer the same scripts and earn L$ for them.  I find that argument more convincing, although I recognize that there is a fuzzy line.  It seems unfair for any scripter to charge for a script that is barely more complicated than "Hello, Avatar", so I feel justified in posting an occasional baby-level script here.  It's up to each of us to decide when a script has crossed the line from being "baby level."    (It's also true, of course, that anyone can post a complicated script in the Script Library.)

i always have to keep the thought in my mind that tiers have to be paid for, and that scripters have this cost same as every other creative

and I don't subscribe to the philosophy that all your stuffs wants to be free

i had this discussion one time with a RL teacher who at the time had the view that all your stuffs wants to be free. And they explained that when it wasn't then it made it expensive to obtain the materials needed to support teaching. In that think of the children way

and I said well creatives need to eat as well as teachers. And maybe in the think of the children way, they (the teacher) could consider that all their salary wants to be free as well, and they could share it with the creatives who would provide them materials for free, for the sake of the children. And the teacher went hmm! and I went hmm! back

this said. I post stuff in Script Library sometimes. Stuff which falls into two basic groups

the first group is gotcha-like situations which are kinda ubiquitous/widespread. Like the gotchas that come with vehicles, cancelling unwelcome animations playing on us, less aggressive ways to deal with visitors, etc.  And I think that a complete script example is a good way to get across the points that need to taken into account when scripting these things up

the other group is pretty obscure stuff which might only ever be used by one person, and sometimes none persons.  Mostly stuff that touches on random, ordered sets and bit packing

and if anyone else takes what I have posted/shown and work the principles shown into their products so they can pay their tiers, and/or make a little bit of money to support their RL, then I am good that they do this

but if a person approaches me personally and wants me to write/debug/fix the production code (which is not the same as example code) to enable their commercial products then I am not going to do that, and refer them to the appropriate forums on here

• Like 1

I would want to add a third "consideration" to Rolig's two, that of self-improvement. I think the forums work well at showing how somebody finds a problem and then tackles it.

This point is emphasised by Innula's post asking people to not delete posts after they have solved the problem.The solution to a problem is obviously interesting, but perhaps more important is to see the methods that were used to grapple with the problem. Sometimes this is of more value to others than the solution itself.

Inworld assistance rather than forum postings hides this end reduces the benefits to others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 71 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.