New Website

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1041 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have experienced SL as being every bit as beautiful as what we see expressed in these homepage scenes...

Good advertising should evoke a feeling, depict how people feel when experiencing whatever is being advertised, and not be literally representational -- I mean how could that even be possible when every individual apprehends sensory input differently?

Sure, we don't want advertising to be terribly misleading, but a video depicting how people feel when assuming new characters and exploring beautiful scenery is not misleading.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do other "video games" promote their newest games with marketing NOT taken from the actual game?  Do their promotional videos show things not seen in the game itself?  Just wondering since I never look at those.

• Like 2

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

Do other "video games" promote their newest games with marketing NOT taken from the actual game?  Do their promotional videos show things not seen in the game itself?  Just wondering since I never look at those.

These days? A fair few were (and still are) doing so. Some have transitioned into playable tech/scenario demos, some of which present things you'll not actually see in game (Resident Evil Village (8) for example)).

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

No, they show actual game play.. I'm just wondering why they used RL people for a virtual platform. I mean, people who use SL dont look like that. Show regular people becoming the fantasy figures. 

• Like 3

Gamers have been burnt many times by releases that spectacularly failed to live up to promotional material and staged in engine footage, to the point there has been a shift away from prerendered cut scenes and faked in-engine content towards the actual game content. It's not uncommon for smaller publishers & indies to lead with gameplay.

The notable exception are Nintendo, who will happily sell products on hype and DMCA takedowns.

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

These days? A fair few were (and still are) doing so. Some have transitioned into playable tech/scenario demos, some of which present things you'll not actually see in game (Resident Evil Village (8) for example)).

The trailers I just looked at were all in game or at least didn't show real people.

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

The trailers I just looked at were all in game or at least didn't show real people.

Very few games over the last decade or so have used real people in their promotional material - outside of things promoting VR anyway.

There is a reason I used Resident Evil Village as an example: While all of the promotional material is taken from actual, playable demos, the scenario presented does not actually appear within the game itself. One could make the argument that in that specific case, the demo is a glimpse into an event that happens prior to the main game (one of the Maidens at Castle Dimitrescu attempting to escape her fate and failing rather brutally). The prior game - Resident Evil 7 (stylized as Resident EVII) - did something quite similar.

Do note that I am counting the past decade or so in this.

• Like 1

That's more what I was eluding to and the only thing I think LL did wrong in their promo.  There was no need to use real people.  The avatars they did use were more than enough to entice someone IMO.  

The addition of real people was odd to me and possibly to anyone unfamiliar with SL and it's workings.  No, you can't pick an avatars exactly how you look or wish to look.  Imagination is great but there are limits to what you can do here.  I feel the promo may have mislead in that area.

Quick!  Somebody make avatars that look like the video and put them on Marketplace!

Somebody else make the scenery and sets!

If that's the crowd that's coming and what they will be expecting them meet them, greet them and cater to their expectations.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

Quick!  Somebody make avatars that look like the video and put them on Marketplace!

Somebody else make the scenery and sets!

If that's the crowd that's coming and what they will be expecting them meet them, greet them and cater to their expectations.

The actual avatars are totally doable with a lot of help in putting it all together which is why they should have used them exclusively.  I don't see the need for the real people.  Plus, if they had only used avatars, they could have saved money and not had to pay whomever they had to pay to play the part of an avatar.  Or is that what the linden fee increase was for?  Hmm?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Now that I seen the whole video instead of just the picture of the person dressed like an elf, it's soo much better..

When i first seen it like a week or two ago, it was just the still image..

Now that I seen where they went with it, I love it!! \o/

I can't say I do. It's pushing the deceptive advertising envelope a little too hard. 

I understand the concept behind it but that concept  does not fit SL at all. The one thing that does fit is how much time putting together an avatar takes. Waaaay too much if you go with a mesh body. For some of the actors, they have to spend more than an hour or two every morning in getting  into makeup and costume, depending on the complexity. Getting out of all that can take just as long. It's not unheard of for actors to put in 18 hour days for weeks and months at a time. With no time off.

Sorry but reality heavily outweighs the illusion they're trying to present and that is one of the reasons LL has always had horrendous retention rates.

• Like 1

Probably the first scene should have been a newbie trying to place a sofa in their home, shooting it through the walls into the nether regions of the sim, and then messaging the landlord screaming "I LOST MY SOFAAAAAA!!!!".    :)

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

The actual avatars are totally doable with a lot of help in putting it all together which is why they should have used them exclusively.  I don't see the need for the real people.  Plus, if they had only used avatars, they could have saved money and not had to pay whomever they had to pay to play the part of an avatar.  Or is that what the linden fee increase was for?  Hmm?

I only see one avatar that was based on a real person.

I imagine they hired a professional marketing/creation team without SL building experience, and there would be quite a lot to learn to build inworld and create these effects, so I bet they had to go with the skillset of the outside people they hired.

I don't know that we have a team in SL that could have pulled it all off...maybe...like the Moles...although I'm not sure some of the film editing tweaks are possible inworld. The problem is that an in-house team likely does not have RL marketing skills...and we've wanted SL to focus on RL advertising to bring people inworld for a long while.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I only see one avatar that was based on a real person.

I imagine they hired a professional marketing/creation team without SL building experience, and there would be quite a lot to learn to build inworld and create these effects, so I bet they had to go with the skillset of the outside people they hired.

I don't know that we have a team in SL that could have pulled it all off...maybe...like the Moles...although I'm not sure some of the film editing tweaks are possible inworld. The problem is that an in-house team likely does not have RL marketing skills...and we've wanted SL to focus on RL advertising to bring people inworld for a long while.

The avatars they actually used were made inworld.  By whom, I have no idea but I'll assume an LL employee. I couldn't care less about the sets that were built.  I'm specifically addressing their use of real people 'dressed' as avatars.  It was unnecessary and misleading.  IMO

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I can't say I do. It's pushing the deceptive advertising envelope a little too hard. 

I understand the concept behind it but that concept  does not fit SL at all. The one thing that does fit is how much time putting together an avatar takes. Waaaay too much if you go with a mesh body. For some of the actors, they have to spend more than an hour or two every morning in getting  into makeup and costume, depending on the complexity. Getting out of all that can take just as long. It's not unheard of for actors to put in 18 hour days for weeks and months at a time. With no time off.

Sorry but reality heavily outweighs the illusion they're trying to present and that is one of the reasons LL has always had horrendous retention rates.

When I first seen the home page, it was an rl human dressed like an elf. That was it.

Now that they added avatars in there it feels way better to me.

When i say something like what i said, it's not me trying to represent anyone else but myself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

When I first seen the home page, it was an rl human dressed like an elf. That was it.

Now that they added avatars in there it feels way better to me.

When i say something like what i said, it's not me trying to represent anyone else but myself.

oO just noticed it. Yes I absolutely love what they did.

On 5/19/2021 at 2:33 PM, Luna Bliss said:

Looks great!  

I was getting ready to say that the N'avi look-alike on the front page when it was static was kind of like the first part of this video, i.e. like a bad school play, but put in context with the motion and other figures, it's better.

Still, I really am done with it. It's pretty much all cyberpunk sort of stuff, which is ok as far as it goes but I don't want to keep looking at it. Can't you just keep me logged in guys? Or have "skip intro" or something?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1041 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.