Sci-Fi Con 13

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 126 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

Yesterday in the Second Life Birthday group people possibly the OP too were chatting about an ACS/RFL event where you could dunk LL employees for a small fee and get their bears 

Yes, the last two days they had a dunk a Linden event at Sci-Fi Con. It was pretty fun. Figured I would share.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I don't like this year's incarnation. Well, that was quite likely after last year's high quality one, especially in terms of building, but I didn't expect it to sink that low.

Most of all, it's extremely laggy for whatever reason, my friend and I both dropped lower than 7 fps with reasonable setups.

My inner facepalm moment was right at the beginning, where you get the advice to set your draw distance to 256m "for immersion". Yeah, I might have a problem feeling immersed with a Tiki hut next to some sort of temple and a SciFi dome on the other side, but thanks for trying. That one plot spamming group invites for some "Wet Club Beach 18+" group did the rest.

Aesthetically pleasant to the eye... umm, nope. If you head up north, in a clockwise direction, you'll soon encounter a path concstructed of an oversized pebble texture (or moonstone or whatever) for the walking paths. The corners of said path: a flat, badly cut out alpha moon thingy. Early 2010s called...
Apparently, there are no parcels cut off or the builders decided to ignore restricting the sound to it, especially when they used those very poorly looped "we've been on SL probably longer than you are!" freebie water fountain sounds.
I found it quite rude that some plots plastered their outsides in full bright textures, while the complete inside stayed almost black, while the overall consent was "we keep it dark as f*** and add lots of flashy, shiny neon lights, making it retro SciFi, yay".

Very, very few RP places advertised and way too much, repeating shops, too many of them leaving you wondering where they hide their SciFi relation. Even seeing that one props shop got tiresome after the third view.

And no rides! Last year, you could travel a sim by taxi, for example... worked like a charme.

Rare exceptions:

• the Borg cube shop setup of Sailor V creations... unlike the open-built Borg inner cube which you cannot enter at all because someone set the entry to effectively block access. Yay for doubleclick TPs!
  • Asian underground garden, except for the floor texture looking like spilled egg liqueur
  • playground with creepy kids
  • train crash set
  • ... yeah, that's quite it.

In total, my least favourite edition by far.

Very sad.

thSnapshot_001.thumb.jpg.3fd4107abe17e415fad4700514d8dba6.jpg

... why, just why...

Edited by Lillith Hapmouche
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

In total, my least favourite edition by far.

Very sad.

thSnapshot_001.thumb.jpg.3fd4107abe17e415fad4700514d8dba6.jpg

... why, just why...

That picture.... WHAT is that supposed to be??? 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Apparently, there are no parcels cut off or the builders decided to ignore restricting the sound to it, especially when they used those very poorly looped "we've been on SL probably longer than you are!" freebie water fountain sounds.

The parcels are sold to the person/group, so sound restrictions can be set. I did for my little shop as constant loud background sound isn't my thing (when I do have sound turned on, which isn't often).

I think it'd help shop diversity if they did more merchant outreach and filled all the pre-built shops. Some of the repeats are because they're going spare.

Edited by Polenth Yue
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, BJoyful said:

Wait... was that Whitney?  You didn't get her hair wet...did you?  😉

A picture says a thousand words. But a video says... I might have gotten her hair wet a tad. xD

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 126 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.