Constant Harassment from a resident

Sinister Muircastle

Question

I know the idea is to file abuse reports - but do they even work?

We run a roleplay sim, and recently a disagreement lead to one of the leaders leaving and starting his own and since then he has decided to IM anyone and everyone he can from our sim and harass them until they leave. one of the sim owners is leaving sl for a while to even take a mental health break because it's gotten so bad. we haven't been dragging him or his sim to anyone. we answer questions honestly when their asked. But he's going too far and it's affecting peoples enjoyment of second life.

we want them to stop, but abuse reports I've heard, don't go anywhere. 

9 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Sinister Muircastle said:

We run a roleplay sim, and recently a disagreement lead to one of the leaders leaving and starting his own and since then he has decided to IM anyone and everyone he can from our sim and harass them until they leave. one of the sim owners is leaving sl for a while to even take a mental health break because it's gotten so bad. we haven't been dragging him or his sim to anyone. we answer questions honestly when their asked. But he's going too far and it's affecting peoples enjoyment of second life.

we want them to stop, but abuse reports I've heard, don't go anywhere. 

Have everyone block the person and immediately block any other account that suddenly pops into your IMs harassing you.

• Like 2

Linden Lab doesn't intervene in resident-to-resident disputes and they don't intervene when tools exist in the viewer to handle it yourself. In this case, Block and Mute. 

If this person is making many alts to get around it, you can (at least in Firestorm) set your preferences to allow IMs from friends only. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

You can (at least in Firestorm) set your preferences to allow IMs from friends only. 

One of the joys of SL is meeting new people, it seems that limiting IMs to friends would be counterproductive to that goal. Also since the OP runs a RP sim, I would presume they're interested in having new people join the roleplay, this also would be more difficult if interested people can't send IMs asking about it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BiliEyelash said:

One of the joys of SL is meeting new people, it seems that limiting IMs to friends would be counterproductive to that goal. Also since the OP runs a RP sim, I would presume they're interested in having new people join the roleplay, this also would be more difficult if interested people can't send IMs asking about it.

In general I agree but it can be effective used on a temporary basis. Trolls stop trolling if they get no attention/feedback.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nova Convair said:

You can not be harrassed by IM's because you simply block that avatar then. I don't see a problem here.

You don't even have to block them. Just don't answer the IM and they will think they are blocked.

• Like 3

Basically when it comes to inworld harassment there is a few things you can do that helps from my understanding at least for me it does.

1.) Mute / Block the users causing the problems within the RP sim and group. I know there is a limit on people who can be removed from the group and sim I think 300 accounts.

2.) Use payment info option, some people tend to make alternate accounts in order to cause problems I've dealt with this before on land you can check this box it should deter the alts causing problems.

3.) Use a security orb that can limit the accounts under a certain age to prevent alts. (Caspa tech has this I have my orb up its very useful along with the other options as well to keep a roleplay sim free of unwanted people or use only members of the group can join the RP sim in general.

Hopefully this helps you out. :)

• Like 2

On 5/19/2021 at 6:12 AM, Sinister Muircastle said:

They do ... however, they need to be clear, concise & free from interpersonal drama or ranting. It can help to reference the exact part of the SL ToS that is in breach in your report.

It's also important to have an idea of what action the lab could take to resolve the issue without getting involved (or having to talk to anyone).

On 5/19/2021 at 6:12 AM, Sinister Muircastle said:

There is no way to stop someone messaging people. 

Persistence and harassment are not the same thing.

If those being messaged do not want to talk to him / or hear anything they have to say, they can and should just block him, but it is their choice.

Don't fall into the trap of copy pasting chats logs inside SL, that is something that is easily actionable if reported to LL. Likewise, telling everyone to block or abuse report a certain person is it's own form of harassment.

At the end of the day, visitors to your RP will either stay and play, or not, and the only thing you can do is make your location a more fun and positive experience. Drama can be engrossing, but it's also exhausting and people get burnt out quickly.

• Like 4