The Rolling Restarts Mushroom Farm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1024 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Today (I run on UTC) there will be restarts. The notice is sitting in Status and Inara Pey has reported that the plan got mentioned at the Simulator User Group meeting.

It may be only some RC Channel regions, but these days they never tell us which. I am not confident they will stick to the announced time slot.

Customers, paying or not, are being treated like mushrooms. We're being kept in the dark and fed on bull*****.

• Like 1

Rolling Restarts for Second Life RC Channels May 19, 07:00-08:00 PDT
We will be performing rolling restarts for regions on the Second Life RC Server channels on Wednesday, May 19, beginning at approximately 7:00 AM PDT. Please refrain from rezzing no copy objects and remember to save all builds. Please check this blog for updates.
Posted on May 1907:00 PDT

Note this is an amazing post from the Future!  It is now May 19, 02:50 PDT - Can I have the closing stock index numbers for today, before the market opens?
Thanks,

The restarts are running, and I see Tuliptree, Neumogen, and Obscure are all affected, and all on the SLRR, so that's three places you can check to see if there are effects. Voss and Grishin in the Snowlands. I suspect it's a subset of the RC Channels, but since they never tell us, scared faults might get reported to them, I figure you have to rely on a grump, vulpine, PITA such as myself.

Well the RC Roll is over and done and nary a word on this forum from any Linden as to what was rolled and to which of the release Candidate channels. 

By now I am unsurprised at this.  It is probably not active concealment of what was done, rather utterly unconcerned failure to update us, the great unwashed paying public. 

Sad.

• Like 2

While we are all being a bit grumpy about this, I have one more complaint. I was watching the region where I have a parcel, beginning at 7 AM PDT, when they started. I saw regions all around get restarted, but mine never did. Then at about 8 or 8:30 they announced the restarts were done. So I went back to my parcel, and POOF about an hour later the region was finally restarted, and got the new version.

Not what one might call 'user friendly'.

Similar thing happened with the last RC channel rollout as well.

Nice.  It takes a resident to point us to the release notes.  Thanks @Solar Legion.  

So where is the restart thread?

Anyone home @Linden Lab?

Knock knock.

@Myles Capalini this has happened on my Main Server home twice.  Not good.

Yes I am aware that Mazidox flagged up that there would be something last week but there has been nothing this forum telling us what was being rolled and to what regions.

The fact that LL presumably thought that last week's comment was enough indicates to me how they see how communication with their user-base should be carried out.

Edited by Aishagain

Having visited my list of 47 RC regions, 43 are running 2021-05-12.559669. The 4 that are running 2021-05-12.559679 seem to be the "fruity" RC regions. Intrigued that 559679 has had the llOrd/llChar/llHash routines removed

No sign of the routine Status warning, and the Lindens are gone for the weekend.

Looking at my calendar and counting days, restarts, without new server versions, are very likely next week 

It feels strange to seem to know more about what is going on than the Lindens do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Working from recent experience, the promotion of either of the test versions rolled to small portions of the RC channel does not qualify for due notice in the Linden Lab operations manual.

What rather bothered me this past week is that these revised server versions were indeed rolled to regions hosting several clubs, none of which had ANY advance warning of the rolls, other than the standard 5 minute warning. 

ETA:  Almost as I posted this the notices for the Main Server and RC channel rolls were announced.  Looks like someone woke up.

Edited by Aishagain
updated info

52 minutes ago, Sayrah Parx said:

2021-04-21.558586 is moving to 2021-05-12.559669

How is it that a resident can post this and yet LL cannot in the forum they themselves created for that very purpose?

By the way, other than by observation, how do you know this?

5 hours ago, Sayrah Parx said:

I just have a script in a bunch of regions that tells me when they come back after a restart, and what the version was before and after.

Ah useful, my restart monitor tells me that the region has restarted but not the server version.  My region restarted about 20 minutes after the Roll officially started.

I am going to assume that there will be no official restart post until tomorrow's RC channel version is decided upon.

ETA at1:30am BST (12:30am GMT) 26/5/2021: still nothing about the Rolls on this Forum. *sigh*

Edited by Aishagain
Additional text and grammar correction

One thing I noticed; my home region had its first restart for 21 days.

I suspect the region traffic and new-building levels are low enough that the various things that a restart/reboot fixes don't show.

Inara Pey's Modemworld blog reported the Simulator User Group meeting where the already complete roll-out finally got mentioned by a Linden. They expected a general Wednesday RC rollout with the magic "internal configuration changes", but no server version was identified.

I have been reminded that there are various sort of rot which can be described as undocumented internal changes, until the tree falls down, which is rather obvious.

The SL18B regions are being prepared. The clock is ticking. This is the first SLB of the cloud era, and my enthusiasm is muted.

• 2 weeks later...

And we have another here-we-go-again moment. There are restarts on Tuesday morning, according to the status page. About 40 minutes to the start, as I type.

It's not really a surprise, there was the RC Channel rollout last week, and I expect people have been distracted, but distractions are why you use things such as checklists.

I may be a bit cranky about poor communication by tech companies. It's not just Linden Lab (and I expect I have my own quirks, even if they're essentially differences in how we use language going back to us having different teachers).

I have enough mushrooms in the refrigerator. I don't need any more, really, and they don't keep in this hot weather.

• Thanks 2

Fair point, @arabellajones but looking at this from a Linden's viewpoint (which I try not to do), were I working at a small company getting used to new owners who are not interested in anything other than the profit margins and having just lost my CEO, I might be tad less than massively motivated right now, especially if there are internal issues that are distracting me.

A Linden's priorities might not be mine at this moment.

That said, this silence is worrying to me as a user.

Today's shenanigans with the cloud and global CDN may not have helped. ( Though I gather it only affected Europe, so...)

One thing I do know is that my region was rolled on schedule, so that's one plus.

• Like 1

• Lindens

Usually I just read these topics, but I wanted to take a moment to share that:

• Losing Ebbe last week absolutely had an impact on everyone here at the Lab. My coworkers and I appreciate the empathy and sympathy you all have shown ♥️

• I just got back from two weeks away yesterday and hadn't gotten back into the groove 100% yet. As soon as someone poked me this morning though I made sure to get a deploy plan up ASAP, and you have my apologies for the delay :)

And while I'm here I want to talk about positives for a moment:

• You may have noticed I listed the roll window as starting an hour later. That's intentional! We're letting our engineers sleep in a bit later for rolls, permanently! And it's because...

• We've made so many improvements to the roll process and tools over the last six months that we are now rolling in under half the time we needed for the same number of regions in the colo. This means shutdowns and startups are both faster so even if we start a bit later we'll still finish well before the 11 AM Pacific end time. And this is just one of a large set of improvements we're making to Second Life behind the scenes, and we have no plans to stop!
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1024 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.