how to get into or learn how to rp in sl?

Saijito

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When you say discord, do you mean as in voicing or writing? If so if it's writing there shouldn't be any different, people have their own way of roleplaying and some people have preferences on how they like to roleplay and some don't really care as much as the roleplay and story is good, usually roleplay sims have different rules and stories to go by, so if you have found a place that your interested in roleplaying at, find the rules and read trough it.

as long as you don't god mode or do the other the typical no no stuff, then you don't really have to care about how you roleplay.

You can always learn over time and so on. ☺️

Also most people prefer that you use /me when you write your roleplay post instead of using stars like these *, whenever your character got something to say use these signs " hello how are you? ", but I'm pretty sure you know of that already!

It's pretty hard to say, because it depends entirely on what experience you have and what issues you are having in changing the platform to SL. There's also no universal 'right way' to do it, people do different things different ways. In terms of the basics, using emotes ( /me) and describing your characters' actions in third person is common (some even in past tense, which personally I find a bit annoying - especially when it's inconsistent), but there's no rule that you have to do so at all times in SL - certain venues may have certain rules though.

The only big difference between roleplay via text only, such as Discord, and a platform where you're represented by an avatar (whether it's SL or any other video game) is that you'll be able to move and interact with things.

In general there's some basic etiquette, but it's hardly unique to SL. Concepts such as post order, meta-gaming, god-(e)moting, power-gaming, lore-breaking, transgressing the IC-OOC barrier, etc. are all there. 

Way back when, there used to be an introduction to RP class at Caledon Oxbridge, whether that's still going I don't know - but you could also just reach out to the people around you and ask for pointers, maybe let them know that you're new to things and maybe that you'd like to observe or ask whether they'd mind you joining them. A lot of RP venues offer 'observer' tags to allow non-members to look around, explore, and meet the community.

One thing to keep in mind, which again, isn't unique to SL, is that many RP communities have a lot of elitist cliques who 'knows the right way' and who firmly adhere to the 'Para-RP über alles' carp. So if one place is unwelcoming, don't expect all places to be like that; there's been many wonderful RP communities in SL over the years, though I haven't personally partaken in any for rather a long while now so I have no idea what the active ones are like.

13 hours ago, PixelBerry said:

When you say discord, do you mean as in voicing or writing? If so if it's writing there shouldn't be any different, people have their own way of roleplaying and some people have preferences on how they like to roleplay and some don't really care as much as the roleplay and story is good, usually roleplay sims have different rules and stories to go by, so if you have found a place that your interested in roleplaying at, find the rules and read trough it.

as long as you don't god mode or do the other the typical no no stuff, then you don't really have to care about how you roleplay.

You can always learn over time and so on. ☺️

Also most people prefer that you use /me when you write your roleplay post instead of using stars like these *, whenever your character got something to say use these signs " hello how are you? ", but I'm pretty sure you know of that already!

I'm actually unfamiliar with how /me works. what does it do? or maybe the question should be how do you do it?

1 minute ago, Saijito said:

what does it do? or maybe the question should be how do you do it?

If you have your preferences set up for it, /me will be italic and denotes actions, much the same way as asterixis do (**). Just type /me before writing, and your text will be marked as an emote. For example:

/me sighs.

Will appear as:

Orwar sighs.

6 hours ago, Orwar said:

It's pretty hard to say, because it depends entirely on what experience you have and what issues you are having in changing the platform to SL. There's also no universal 'right way' to do it, people do different things different ways. In terms of the basics, using emotes ( /me) and describing your characters' actions in third person is common (some even in past tense, which personally I find a bit annoying - especially when it's inconsistent), but there's no rule that you have to do so at all times in SL - certain venues may have certain rules though.

The only big difference between roleplay via text only, such as Discord, and a platform where you're represented by an avatar (whether it's SL or any other video game) is that you'll be able to move and interact with things.

In general there's some basic etiquette, but it's hardly unique to SL. Concepts such as post order, meta-gaming, god-(e)moting, power-gaming, lore-breaking, transgressing the IC-OOC barrier, etc. are all there. 

Way back when, there used to be an introduction to RP class at Caledon Oxbridge, whether that's still going I don't know - but you could also just reach out to the people around you and ask for pointers, maybe let them know that you're new to things and maybe that you'd like to observe or ask whether they'd mind you joining them. A lot of RP venues offer 'observer' tags to allow non-members to look around, explore, and meet the community.

One thing to keep in mind, which again, isn't unique to SL, is that many RP communities have a lot of elitist cliques who 'knows the right way' and who firmly adhere to the 'Para-RP über alles' carp. So if one place is unwelcoming, don't expect all places to be like that; there's been many wonderful RP communities in SL over the years, though I haven't personally partaken in any for rather a long while now so I have no idea what the active ones are like.

i think i know caledon oxbridge, i should check and see if classes are still available. 

on the ettiquette ive never heard of meta-gaming, or god-emoting. though god emoting is probably similar to how go modding works where someone tries to control the other rpers

1 minute ago, Orwar said:

If you have your preferences set up for it, /me will be italic and denotes actions, much the same way as asterixis do (**). Just type /me before writing, and your text will be marked as an emote. For example:

/me sighs.

Will appear as:

Orwar sighs.

i always wondered how people did that. now i know. thank you!

16 minutes ago, Saijito said:

on the ettiquette ive never heard of meta-gaming, or god-emoting.

Meta-gaming is to use information or knowledge gained out of character, in character (i.e. using RL knowledge you might have about the game system or the setting which your character wouldn't have access to).

God-emoting is to include other players' actions in your own emotes without their consent, yes.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.