Making it difficult to shop are we?

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 878 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a link in my browser to the Marketplace.  I "now" get this error (for a couple of days anyway)

image.thumb.png.06074483592cd8edf66e4c188d432e1b.png

SO I went to the main Secondlife.com page directly from Google. From the main entry page which I could get to -- wooooot -- I clicked on the Marketplace link at the top of the page.  

I STILL GET THIS SAME PAGE.  

I do not WANT to clear my cookies. I like my cookies very much (peanut butter in real life).  This is not good.  I can get to the marketplace in Edge I suspect, but this is not helping merchants.  

Perhaps testing should be on the agenda. 

skipping off to Edge to see if I can get there to BUY SOMETHING SPECIFIC.   

:SwingingFriends:

Edited by Chic Aeon
had "in" instead of "on" :D
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This is an old hiccup I remember happening a few months ago in little spates, though none of them on SecondLife. I recall that nothing I could do from my end cured the problem. I think it went away on it's own.

ETA

found a diary entry that switching from Firefox to Vivaldi got round it.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku

Well I tried a LOT of things including running some utilities.  Nothing helped.  I gave up on Firefox long ago as SO MANY things didn't work :D. Sadly.  I did send in a "doesn't work" page to Brave.   I CAN get there in Chrome but it takes literally fifteen seconds when most (non-cached) pages load instantly for me.   Things were VERY bad for me on Flickr and they did eventually get fixed. So hopefully it will.

MEANWHILE when I went to the Marketplace in Edge I could see the page. BUT when I tried to log in it told me my information was incorrect (EVEN THOUGH IT LOGGED ME IN) === and, it redirected to my Marketplace account page where you have your email address etc.  Now THAT has nothing to do with BRAVE LOL. 

Hopefully that will get fixed too :D.  Or maybe they don't want us to save our logins on the Marketplace for some reason.  Hard to say.

• 1 month later...

I've been having this issue with Chrome for some time now, and I decided to put some work into finding the answer.  I could load the market fine in Firefox, but Chrome kept presenting the same white screen error :  Too Many Redirects.  It was being caused by Ad Block.  To fix it, follow these steps for a SPECIFIC SITE:

1. Go to the market and when the white screen error appears (with too many redirects)
  2. Click on the 3 dots in the upper right corner (where all of your Chrome settings are), click Settings
  3. Click Privacy and security on the left, and go to Site Settings on the right and click it
  4. In the very first section, find "View permissions and data stored across sites" and click that.
  5. At the very top of that next page there is a search box.  In there, type market.  This will bring up results showing secondlife.com (click this one).  Any site on this domain will be listed below now and you can click on the marketplace.secondlife.com link to expand it.
  6. Look for Pop-ups and redirects (about 8 down from the top of the list) and change that setting to Allow.
  7. Now go back to your market page with the error and refresh the page.  You should now be able to load the market.

Please note the steps above are for a specific site - not all sites.  There is a setting that allows Pop-ups and redirects for ALL sites, but I do not recommend you do that since AdBlock will then become mostly pointless.

This same process can be done for ANY page that is doing this to you suddenly.  I was able to pinpoint it to happening when I did a Chrome update.  That setting had been switched after I refreshed the browser.  I hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

Slightly off Topic maybe but concerning Marketplace...as of today it has started  logging me out after EVERY use.  I cannot stay logged in now and it's a right royal PITA.  Is there a way around this?

1 hour ago, Aishagain said:

Slightly off Topic maybe but concerning Marketplace...as of today it has started  logging me out after EVERY use.  I cannot stay logged in now and it's a right royal PITA.  Is there a way around this?

Burn all the cookies for all of SL's domains and relog into everything from scratch.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, IttyBittyKitty Littlepaws said:

Look for Pop-ups and redirects (about 8 down from the top of the list) and change that setting to Allow.

Thanks, @IttyBittyKitty Littlepaws, but unfortunaltely that did not work for me. Following a similar route, I got rid of all rhe cookies assciated with marketplace.secondlife.com.

That solved the problem but my cookies are gone now and there's no telling what will happen on subsequent logins. Presumably, the cookies will build up again. We'll see!

Update:

I've now logged out and back in again, no problems. This is on a Windows 10 laptop that is refusing (or someone is) to update to the new Windows 10 20H2 (stuck at 61%). Maybe that's infuential?

Edited by Odaks
Added PS

6 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Oh no, don't use that. 

It's not kept up to date like a regular desktop browser, and depending on your viewer can be very out of date and missing critical security patches.

Hmm, that is not what I was told and since I only use it for SL MP, I will take the info under advisement.  Nevertheless thankyou Coffee.

• Moderators

Greetings, All!

While I can provide no information on why this happens, I can provide an easy way to clear it in Chrome.

Right click on the page and choose Inspect from the Menu Options.

Click on the Application tab

It should default to the Cookies portion, if not, click on Cookies 

If you have more than one Cookie showing, click on the one for the Marketplace

Right click on the Cookie and choose "Clear" - this should be the only option. 

Close the Inspect window by clicking on the X at the far right. 

Reload the Marketplace web page. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Greetings, So Whimsy!

The "fix" for Chrome isn't a fix.  It is a shortcut to clear the browser cookie. 

Unfortunately, I do not use Firefox so I am not sure if that browser has a similar shortcut to clearing Cache/Cookies, but clearing the browser cache and any Second Life or Second Life Marketplace cookies that are stored should resolve the Too Many Redirects message. 

37 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

@Dakota Linden Now please provide a fix for Firefox. Been having this issue for two weeks now and it's driving me bonkers having to open another browser only for the marketplace....

Here is an article I have bookmarked for clearing individual cookies in Firefox:

https://trustiko.com/delete-cookies-for-a-specific-website-in-firefox/

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

This needs to be fixed, it's driving away a lot of customers. How many people do you think spend the time to come to the forum and ask for help, or who know how to clear the cookies and that that's the problem? And how many people do you think just close the browser and go play something else? Considering LL is shifting revenue from land payments to commission, LL and merchants are missing out on a lot of income from this.

If LL wants to shift from their revenue coming from SLMP instead of land tier they need to ensure SLMP is running at 100% as much as possible, and driving away as little customers as possible too. Land tier always brings in revenue for LL no matter how broken or empty the grid is. If the grid is in bad shape and SLMP is broken for a lot of people, LL won't make as much revenue. Both situations hurt merchants, but the shift to SLMP revenue for LL can really harm their revenue. Just saying.

I sure would hate to see the plans of land prices coming down because they are being replaced with SLMP commission fail because SLMP doesn't work for a lot of people and the SLMP revenue doesn't allow LL to lower the price of land. Please don't let the situation become you've increased the commission on SLMP sales to lower land costs but SLMP is broken most of the time so SLMP sales never increased enough to lower land prices, so we end up with higher commission on SLMP sales and land prices don't come down. I realize there's several factors playing into this, but this August is shaping up to be one of the slowest Augusts I've had in like 4 or 5 years, and I'm not the only merchant I know who has been having below normal sales. I don't mean to be rude, I really appreciate everything LL does.

In case anyone is having this problem in the newer version of Firefox, the menu is different:-

1 - Go to Settings

Click the Hamburger Menu in the Top Right and find Settings:

image.png.7d54e43b593dc7c32f3095055c9c8eff.png

2 - Manage Cookie Data

Select Privacy and Security from the left hand menu,
Scroll down to Cookies and Site Data,
Click Manage Data...

image.png.6046a650355392c4c88b6404eab0e956.png

3 - Delete Secondlife Cookies/Site Data

In the dialog window, search for SecondLife, Select the Sites
Click Remove Selected and then press Save Changes.

image.png.1c40c189f92ff2e3cb2d50e11b32f806.png

Hope it helps

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/9/2021 at 3:45 PM, So Whimsy said:

@Dakota Linden Now please provide a fix for Firefox. Been having this issue for two weeks now and it's driving me bonkers having to open another browser only for the marketplace....

How strange.  This issue continues, even after following the steps provided to clear cookies for marketplace websites.  But, my issue is in Chrome (my default browser).  It just refuses to load the pages.  I have to load up Firefox to get to marketplace.  And you seem to have the issue with Firefox.  How weird.  I wonder if this is not our cookies causing this?

On 7/9/2021 at 3:59 PM, Dakota Linden said:

Greetings, So Whimsy!

The "fix" for Chrome isn't a fix.  It is a shortcut to clear the browser cookie. 

Unfortunately, I do not use Firefox so I am not sure if that browser has a similar shortcut to clearing Cache/Cookies, but clearing the browser cache and any Second Life or Second Life Marketplace cookies that are stored should resolve the Too Many Redirects message. 

Hi.  This is still happening.  I have the latest Chrome browser on Windows 10 PC (also fully updated).  Chrome always worked fine for all SL pages.  Now it seems that in order to load the marketplace, I must clear my cookies for that site every time.  However, if I use Firefox (the other browser I tried when this started), it works fine.  I have noticed one thing:  If I click on a marketplace link to a store or item that someone posted, it opens the site with no issues.  But if I manually type in the marketplace address, I cannot load the page.  Does this information help in some way?  Has any other research been done on this issue?  Thanks.

21 minutes ago, IttyBittyKitty Littlepaws said:

How strange.  This issue continues, even after following the steps provided to clear cookies for marketplace websites.  But, my issue is in Chrome (my default browser).  It just refuses to load the pages.  I have to load up Firefox to get to marketplace.  And you seem to have the issue with Firefox.  How weird.  I wonder if this is not our cookies causing this?

I have had this starting to happen again two days prior, thankfully the fix still worked for me. Again happened on firefox. I too think there is something wrong with the MP itself.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 878 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.