Gaeta Continents

SarahKB7 Koskinen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all. :)

Earlier today, @4lice Cerise (using an online SL Map browser by @Eddy Ofarrel) created a new map of the Gaeta continents (below) that contained regions reserved for the completion of Gaeta I and regions reserved for the additional Gaeta continents (II, III and IV) that should have been added to SL,  but due to circumstances were not. You can read her original post  here.

Gaetas!.thumb.png.a086bb6d1a7d6c67b4f312

(Created by 4lice Cerise ^)

With 4lice Cerise's permission, I've re-edited her map (below) to try to imagine what Gaeta II, III and IV's terrain might have looked like. I've not included lakes, rivers, roads or mountains as that would be pure guess work. But we can map out the most probable continent shapes from these hidden reserved regions.

I've kept strictly within the regions assigned to the reserved Gaeta regions and have not added more.  I've given the outer edges protected water coastlines which alIow full circumnavigation by boats.  Yes, the continents are not linked together, but I'm sure that they would have been, eventually.

If you squint your eyes, they look less basic and blocky.... and is it just me who thinks Gaeta IV looks like a flat sole shoe?!

686605488_Gaetasterrain2.thumb.png.c9f70a4e77d278508aa4d0d315b8219c.png

Gaeta_5_in_2013.png

Gaeta V was the first Gaeta continent to be built, which began on 14th April 2008 and was completed on 25th May 2008. Magellan Linden "discovered" Gaeta V on 14th April 2008 by crash landing his airship onto the beach of Gaeta V's Squall region on the west coast of Gaeta V. Wreckage still remains there (on the beach and in the sea), along with a Magellan Bear. :)

The next Gaeta continent to be started was Gaeta I (uncompleted) and was created in two stages; the first section containing it's whole west coast and peninsular sections were built in a single day on 4th June 2008 (only two days after I joined SL!). 

Linden Labs then "brought in a moratorium on rolling out new mainland in July 2009", according to @Tyche Shepherd Source: http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/327/48/313677/7.html

Then on 15th September 2008, the Lehman Brothers went bankrupt and caused the global financial recession. This also caused a contraction in SL and seems to be another reason why work on Gaeta I was halted. This may also explain why continents Gaeta II, III and IV were never built at all.

map_004.jpg

(^ Image by Tyche Shepherd, 31st March 2009)

Gaeta I's second section (hightighted above in red) was added on 31st March 2009 to the north-east coastal section, which contained a rectangular block of 17 new regions. Sadly, the remainder of the continent has never been completed, with 102 regions of its east and south-east sections still missing.  Gaeta I also remains isolated as no physical link exists between it and the rest of the SL continents.

Now that we have a complete map of Gaeta I, perhaps @Linden Lab @Derrick Linden @Patch Lindenwould consider completing Gaeta I to its original specification and style? This could be done without creating brand new regions by recycling some of the old Linden Homes Nascera continent(s) regions instead of deleting them. Moving, re-terraforming and renaming these old regions to complete Gaeta I would be an efficient and pleasing thing to do. And link it to Corsica with a north-south sea corridor too!

Gaeta I will be 13 years old on 4th June 2021, please give it a birthday visit - or a "gift" (completion) if you're from LL... :)

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Earlier today, @4lice Cerise created a new map of the Gaeta continents that contained regions reserved for the completion of Gaeta I and regions reserved for the additional Gaeta continents (II, III and IV) that should have been added to SL,  but due to circumstances were not. You can read her original post  here.

(I’m flattered by all the attention!) More details about this map are in this other post. I love to see the possible land use, a sensible suggestion considering Gaeta V and the known half of Gaeta I; not likely that some of this land would have very different terrain, like Nautilus or Heterocera.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I would love to see Gaeta finished. I had a store in Gaeta 1 and the region crossings were horrible, The pod tours even mention something about how bad they are before they cross. Not sure if its gotten better since the uplift but even riding a bike along Sandy Beach Trail was near impossible. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Its a shame they were never finished but I really don't see it happening, with all the abandoned mainland there is right now it makes no sense to add more.  If they could be part of Bellisseria then maybe, but they're a long way out from there.

It would probably be more practical to shift current Gaetea 1 residents into abandoned regions in other continents, and just sink it for ever. I don't think anybody actually likes it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

That map goes up to 1132 north and 1218 east. Further clicking around the Gaeta general area, I’m fairly sure it likely the Gaeta plan doesn’t go beyond that:

From region row 1133 northwards (and eastwards from 1188) there’s a ~28×29 checkerboard of regions (straggered with voids) in a large private estate, almost all named Serena Something. Even to the south of that there’s 2×2 regions, at 1197,1131-1198,1130, named "Linden Lab Meeting 1" to "Linden Lab Meeting 4" (I should add those four to the map).

• Like 2

Wow - thanks for making this map.   I've always wondered what that unfinished area might look like. 

Those of us up here on Gaeta I have come to love our quiet, and largely undiscovered corner of the grid. One of my neighbors put up small replica of San Francisco on Untersberg and some of the coastal properties are nice. You can rez a boat or floatplane over on Blinter in the far northeast and sail or fly counter clockwise around our little continent.  If we see you sail by from the beach, we'll be sure to shout out a warm hello.

Even if these Gaeta islands are never finished, it would be nice to connect our southern coast to the now-connected continents to our south.  If that happens we might even put out a bar for thirsty explorers looking to make a grand tour of all the continents.

Cheers and happy exploring :)

• Like 9

Thank you for the great map. I have never seen it before. I love the sandy beaches of Gaeta 1 and the road Linden made along the North West Coast is really nice. If Linden would complete it, add some nice roads and maybe a mountain it would be an even more wonderfull place. A connection to Corsica would complete it all  🙂 

Why not complete it? The land is no longer empty, even away from the coast its inhabited. Anyway most of Gaeta 1 is coast, people just dont look under the sand sometimes 🙂

Chears to Joe, his and Bella's land is one of the most beautifull in SL and his bar should be more famous and visited

• Like 6

Here is my imaginary Gaeta I concept, which is based on actual reserved regions, but never used for its creation.

I've added a couple of extra regions at the bottom to show what a link to Corsica might look like too.

Gaeta I completed concept v2.png

^ Click a few times for full screen size.

• Like 9

Turn it upside down and it looks like a fat cat seen from behind.

I noticed when this topic started that Gaeta I, II, III, IV resemble an arm and hand giving a thumbs up, or hitching a ride.

Edited by LibGwen
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Following my Gaeta I map, I decided to create new maps of Gaeta II, Gaeta III and Gaeta IV - using only the regions reserved for it in the ocean void.

As these were never actually created inworld, I have left their details deliberately vague and soft-focus to maintain a sense of "mystery", although they do occupy the exact same regions that were reserved for their creation.

I added some extra regions (in blue) to act as links to neighbouring Gaeta continents as I'm sure the links would have been added in time.

Once again, thanks to @4lice Cerise and @Eddy Ofarrel for the data and inspiration. :)

Gaeta II Revealed v1.png

Gaeta III Revealed v1.png

Gaeta IV Revealed v1.png

Gaeta I : 141 regions (current), 243 (completed)

Gaeta II : 109 regions

Gaeta III: 99 regions

Gaeta IV : 350 regions

Gaeta V 385 regions

(*link regions not included)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We can dream!!

Zindra is so far off from the rest of the mainland, imagine a nice water trail to sail on from Zindra to the rest of mainland, maybe a few island stops along the way. That would be super cool. But I would love to see the Gaeta's get completed as well as Zindra though the completion might make a few people angry since they would lose their water views. But even if it was nothing more than a coast line added so you aren't looking under the map on those edge parcels would be nice...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Malin Sabra said:

We can dream!!

Zindra is so far off from the rest of the mainland, imagine a nice water trail to sail on from Zindra to the rest of mainland, maybe a few island stops along the way. That would be super cool. But I would love to see the Gaeta's get completed as well as Zindra though the completion might make a few people angry since they would lose their water views. But even if it was nothing more than a coast line added so you aren't looking under the map on those edge parcels would be nice...

Imho that wouldnt be so cool… Some of us dont want Zindra that close tbh… no offence ❤️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.