Double click attachment add, not replace!

Tinkarbell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

True. I was going to suggest it to Firestorm but they do not have a section for suggestions even in the contact us site.

I thought there would be a way to do it with scripting.

A HUD that when activated, automatically reattaches (add) the last attachment that was removed?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Tinkarbell said:

A HUD that when activated, automatically reattaches (add) the last attachment that was removed?

/Technically/ you might be able to do that with RLV if the removed attachment was in the RLV folder, but would be a bit tricky to write well and not that useful due to the limitaitons.

As to the practical problem of not detaching when you wear something, the next-best thing to a viewer fix is to wear your fitted mesh on sane attachment points: Put your body, head,hands and anything else you really don't want to detach on something unusual like your left hind foot, and have a consistent place for everything else. (for example: pants on groin, shirt on stomach)

If you make sure you're not wearing everything on your right hand, you might find that the the default behavior can be put to advantage.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tinkarbell said:

True. I was going to suggest it to Firestorm but they do not have a section for suggestions even in the contact us site.

Firestorm already has this feature.  I cannot check right now as I am not with my computer but I will update with where to find it later unless someone beats me to it.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, bobsknief Orsini said:

You have my vote on that feature.

Currently the only way i know of avoiding detaching items by accidentally double clicking items in your inventory is locking them with RLV.

I'm curious to know more about this .

3 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Firestorm already has this feature.  I cannot check right now as I am not with my computer but I will update with where to find it later unless someone beats me to it.

just looked through the options again . no luck , unless its in the debug settings

8 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

wow yay. you are right

FSDoubleClickAddInventoryClothing

in debug.

thank you!

• Like 3

I have one more problem with second life so I might as well ask it here. Someone might solve it by scripting a vehicle or something.

When you fly in FP (mouse look), you move forward in the direction that you are looking. that is frustrating when you want to fly straight and look down. which is most of the time. I want an option where pressing the arrow keys moves you along the X and Y axis. looking around with the mouse doesn't change that. and pg up/pg dn for Z axis.

9 hours ago, Tinkarbell said:

When you fly in FP (mouse look), you move forward in the direction that you are looking. that is frustrating when you want to fly straight and look down. which is most of the time. I want an option where pressing the arrow keys moves you along the X and Y axis. looking around with the mouse doesn't change that. and pg up/pg dn for Z axis.

I have a utility with that functionality as a side effect, but it's a bit hard to control as it uses force to push the avatar around and there is no friction while in the air (it's not that hard to control once you get used to it, but you have to come to a complete stop before changing direction, and you need to stop holding down the direction key once you get the speed you want) ; it does not work if your avatar is in the 'flying' state and when it does work your avatar will constantly play a falling animation.

you could buy that from me for 750 linden, or you could try and learn to script an easier to use (has none of the problems above) one yourself:

In broad strokes you probably want to make an attachment/HUD, then put in a simple movement control script that only activates when you are flying:

to detect if you are flying: llGetAgentInfo(llGetOwner())&AGENT_FLYING); in a timer event. save the result in a global variable. if the result changes from FALSE to TRUE, request the perms to take controls, if the result changes from TRUE to FALSE then llReleaseControls()

see http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlTakeControls  for how to take input from the avatar,

and use LlMoveToTarget(llGetPos()+offset); to move your avatar up/down/forward/backward depending on the input (MoveToTarget is the only movement command I've tried that works while you are in flying mode)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Quistessa said:

I have a utility with that functionality as a side effect, but it's a bit hard to control as it uses force to push the avatar around and there is no friction while in the air (it's not that hard to control once you get used to it, but you have to come to a complete stop before changing direction, and you need to stop holding down the direction key once you get the speed you want) ; it does not work if your avatar is in the 'flying' state and when it does work your avatar will constantly play a falling animation.

you could buy that from me for 750 linden, or you could try and learn to script an easier to use (has none of the problems above) one yourself:

In broad strokes you probably want to make an attachment/HUD, then put in a simple movement control script that only activates when you are flying:

to detect if you are flying: llGetAgentInfo(llGetOwner())&AGENT_FLYING); in a timer event. save the result in a global variable. if the result changes from FALSE to TRUE, request the perms to take controls, if the result changes from TRUE to FALSE then llReleaseControls()

see http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlTakeControls  for how to take input from the avatar,

and use LlMoveToTarget(llGetPos()+offset); to move your avatar up/down/forward/backward depending on the input (MoveToTarget is the only movement command I've tried that works while you are in flying mode)

Very informative. Thank you. Not sure if I will learn enough about scripting to make my own vehicle. I might as well give it a try. To prevent the avatar from playing a falling animation, can you make them play the flying animation instead? I'm sure it's not that simple or you would have thought of that already.

Yes I could have fixed the falling animation problem by llSetAnimationOverride-ing the falling animation with a flying one, but it wasn't really an issue for me at the time. The thing I described how to make and the thing I made a while back work on slightly different principals. using llSetForce()  and llSetHoverHeight() is quite fun to control IMO, and you even get pulled off-course by the wind, but it takes some getting used to. I didn't learn 'till a bit later when I tried to build something similar for someone else that llMoveToPos() works while flying.

Since I already posted how to write it, I guess it wouldn't hurt to post an implementation:

Edited by Quistessa
added link
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Quistessa said:

Yes I could have fixed the falling animation problem by llSetAnimationOverride-ing the falling animation with a flying one, but it wasn't really an issue for me at the time. The thing I described how to make and the thing I made a while back work on slightly different principals. using llSetForce()  and llSetHoverHeight() is quite fun to control IMO, and you even get pulled off-course by the wind, but it takes some getting used to. I didn't learn 'till a bit later when I tried to build something similar for someone else that llMoveToPos() works while flying.

Since I already posted how to write it, I guess it wouldn't hurt to post an implementation: <will post in the examples section and add link>

That is awesome, thank you! I'm loving this  second life forum community.

If it's anything like flying but with separate controls for the Z axis then I can't wait to try it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.