Gift Certificate for Service

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 144 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I am looking to offer gift certificates in MP for portrait services. My thought was to set these up for each specific package, each with its own price. Not sure how this is best done so I thought I would start here. 

One thought I had was a prim set to transfer only. The recipient would then hand it to me at the time of the session. That way the purchaser can buy it for themselves, buy it for someone else, or either could give it to a third party. But my concern has to do with tracking that back to the original purchase, so I know it was purchased on MP. Is there a means of doing that? I'm also a little concerned about the potential for 'scalping' (reselling it like a gatcha). Just needing a basic chain of custody kind of thing.

Again, thanks for the help!

--Mig

Posted (edited)

You can script an object to record it's owner on rez. And to record the new owner on owner change. Trick is they have to rez it in world for that to work.

If someone buys it from the MP and transfers it from inventory without rezzing it, then the new owner does the same, there's no way for the script to know either person ever existed since they never rezzed it.

(Removed a bad suggestion as it was bad information)

Edited by Artorius Constantine
  • Like 1

You /could/ add some sort of owner tracking script:

list ownerkeys;
{
  	touch_end(integer i)
    {	integer index = llGetListLength(ownerkeys);
     	while(--index>=0)
        {	llSay(0,(string)llList2Key(ownerkeys,index);
        }
    }
	changed(integer c)
	{
		if(c&CHANGED_OWNER)
        {	ownerkeys+=[llGetOwner()];
        }
	}
}

but that's not foolproof.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Artorius Constantine said:

If it's no copy and no mod just copy the UUID before putting it up on the MP. Then when someone presents it, check the UUID to make sure it matches the one you listed..

pretty sure that's not foolproof either; I'd be wary of keeping track of the UUID of anything that can potentially be rezzed and taken back into inventory, even if it is no-copy-no-mod. Perhaps including a no-copy-no-mod notecard or something would work.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

That would be an interesting test. UUID's are supposedly unique and a no copy item, you would think, would keep it's original. But you're right, this is SL and nothing is ever foolproof.

I think I'm gonna test this with an alt just because now I'm curious! lol

Edited to add, not only is it not foolproof, it (the UUID) isn't persistent at all. Just taking and rezzing it changes it. Handed to someone else it changes when they rez it too. Learn something new every day!

Edited by Artorius Constantine
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Is there a way on Marketplace to sell individual items (each being unique, set nc/nm/t, with different textures having unique serial numbers) under the same listing, but when one is bought, that one is no longer available? An analogy would be selling individual cards from a deck ... you go and buy from the same listing and you get a card, and no one else can get that card since you bought the only one, but they can buy another card from the same listing?

Edited by Miguelito Shilova

1 hour ago, Miguelito Shilova said:

Is there a way on Marketplace to sell individual items (each being unique, set nc/nm/t, with different textures having unique serial numbers) under the same listing, but when one is bought, that one is no longer available? An analogy would be selling individual cards from a deck ... you go and buy from the same listing and you get a card, and no one else can get that card since you bought the only one, but they can buy another card from the same listing?

You could do this - you would need to create a listing of each item and set to limited quantity 1.  I am not really clear though why you would do that.  Would it be easier to use Caspervend Gift Certificates or something similar. Those can be gifted and can be no transfer (so keeps your chain of custody) and just do it in world versus MP.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Greetings!

Users can sell Vouchers and Gift Certificates through the Marketplace.  There is a specific category for those listings under Business - Retail - Gift Cards and Vouchers. 

If the item is not an actual gift card/certificate or voucher, the item can be listed in the Services Category. (portrait packages can be listed in either category as both categories are equally appropriate). 

Items in the Gift Cards & Vouchers category should be listed for the full selling price. So if you are selling a L$500 gift card for your in world store, the price on the listing should be L$500.  Or if you are discounting a gift card, for instance, selling a L$1000 gift card for L$750, then the listing price needs to be L$750.

If you are selling a Service that doesn't have a set price, for instance if the final price depends on what the buyer chooses as additional options, then the price of the listing needs to be at least 50% of the cost.   This is primarily for sellers who make custom content. If you offer custom shapes, or skins, or landscape or interior design, etc., then the listing price should be around 50% of the final cost that the buyer will be paying. 

A seller can absolutely create items with trackable Serial Numbers, with a little bit of work. 

Use a non seller account and create builders boxes (or gift bags, etc.) and set it to No Copy, Modify Enabled, Transfer Enabled.  Send that item to your merchant/seller account. This guarantees that the seller account has items that are No Copy, which will force the Marketplace to only offer that item only 1 time for sale. 

The seller could also buy a ready made Gift Bags created by another user that is already set to No Copy, Modify Enabled, Transfer Enabled. 

The seller then creates Notecards in world and names then with the unique serial number.  For Instance: "Custom Portrait. Package 1. SN 2021526-1" and make sure the item is set as No Copy, No Modify, Transfer Enabled.  

Each successive Notecard would have a change in the last number: Custom Portrait. Package 1. SN 2021526-2:  Custom Portrait. Package 1. SN 2021526-3: Custom Portrait. Package 1. SN 2021526-1-4, etc.

The seller then edits that No Copy, Modify Enabled, Transfer Enabled box or gift bag and changes the name of the item to match the specific Portrait Package and then adds the Transfer enabled notecard into the item.  If using a blank builders box, the box itself can have textures added it to so that it isn't just a plain box. 

The seller can add anything else to the package/item that they wish. Additional Notecards with information about other packages that they offer, landmarks to their in world store, a thank you card for their purchase, sample textures of their work, etc.  

The seller will then create 1 Marketplace Listings per package type.  So if Custom Portrait Package 1 is for a single Portrait, then they would send the box/item named "Custom Portrait. Package 1. SN 2021526-1" to the Marketplace through the viewer and create the initial Listing for that package.  Since the item itself is No Copy for the seller, the system will automatically create the listing with a Stock Folder and place that first item into that Stock Folder.  

Edit the listing and change the name of the listing to remove the unique serial number so that name of the listing shows as "Custom Portrait Package 1".  Once the listing has been created, add all other items with each successive serial number for Custom Package 1 to the same Stock Folder. 

When the item is bought by someone, the system will randomly send 1 item from the Stock Folder and that item will be removed from the folder, since it is a no copy item for the seller themselves, preventing multiple sales of items with a unique number identifier. 

This process would need to be done for each separate package that the seller offers.  So if the seller has Package 1 that offers 1 portrait, and Package 2 that offers 2 portraits, then this would need to be done for Package 2., etc. 

* If the seller has copy enabled permissions on the package prim (box or gift bag, etc.) then the system will not see the item itself as Limited Quantity and the original item will remain linked to the listing and will not create a Stock Folder when the item is sent to the Marketplace. 

* The seller CAN manually set the listing to Limited Quantity and specify the number of sales, but it will not prevent the same unique ID number from being sold multiple times. The system will just unlist the product when the number of specified sales happen.  So if the seller sets an item that is copy enabled for the seller to 10, then the system will unlist the item after the 10th sale. 

The seller can then use a Spreadsheet, either on their own computer, or saved to a Google Drive account, etc, in the cloud, to keep track of the Unique ID's and they can add the name of the buyer of the item. 

If you limit the number of items in the Stock Folder to say 5 items with 5 unique numbers, then when the item is sold, it will be easier to see which Unique ID Number was purchased and the seller can add that buyer and/or receiver name to the spreadsheet entry for that Unique ID number along with the MKT Order Number and sale date. 

This would also let the seller keep track of who bought the item, but hasn't contacted them yet to have their portraits taken.  They could then follow up with the buyer/receiver in world a few days after the sale if they haven't heard from them yet. 

Once the notecard itself is returned to the seller when the portraits are done, the seller can change the Serial Number to increase the number by 1 on the notecard, (creators always have Copy, Mod, Transfer rights on an item they created), set the permissions on the Notecard to No Copy, No Modify, Transfer Enabled, use another Box/Gift Bag for the item and change the name of the item to include the new serial number, drop the notecard into the package, and then add it to the Stock Folder for that package. 

As I said, this does require a bit of work, but it is totally doable. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 144 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.