Group Limit

sassywheelz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am not sure if I am posting in the right forum. However, I would like to know how come the group lament is capped at 70? I would think for premium members there would be a way to possibly extend it to 100. If I am posting in the wrong forum please let me know.

24 answers to this question

20 minutes ago, sassywheelz said:

I am not sure if I am posting in the right forum. However, I would like to know how come the group lament is capped at 70? I would think for premium members there would be a way to possibly extend it to 100. If I am posting in the wrong forum please let me know.

They just changed it 2 years ago.  It used to be 60.  Still a lot more than basic at 42.

It used to be 42 for both.

I don't know the technicalities of it but Grumpity Linden said this when they were implementing the raise in group limits.  The initially raised premium and lowered basic.

"We’re not lowering limits out of spite, groups really are quite a strain on our back end for a variety of painful historical reasons, including overloading group functionality instead of having other tools."

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, sassywheelz said:

Hell, I remember when the total number was super low, something like 12-15 or so.  

Anyway, there are all sorts of back-end processes that have their fingers tied into groups.  Someone explained some of it once, but my memory hasn't retained that.  Just suffice it to say that the more groups each person is allowed the harder on the backend systems it gets - and the more inworld issues there are because of it all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sassywheelz said:

nope please,  sims already have a heck of a time when you  get many people in it and some one with a massive group and inventory shows up, the servers have to load that infomation into the sim,  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sassywheelz said:

you could look if the groups also have a own subscription machine, that will free up groups in your profile.
Or join less individual shop groups ( if htey have no value in groupgifts) many spam their stuff also in body groups /head groups you mayb are in already.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 9:05 PM, sassywheelz said:

So, I know this is an old post, and I know autocorrect made it "lament" instead of "limit," but "Group Lament" is now my favorite SL term.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Doreen Garrigus said:

So, I know this is an old post, and I know autocorrect made it "lament" instead of "limit," but "Group Lament" is now my favorite SL term.

funny, commenting on a, most likely, non english speaker but think it's totally ok to start a sentence with "so" ...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

funny, commenting on a, most likely, non english speaker but think it's totally ok to start a sentence with "so" ...

It is ok in a casual conversation or virtual dialog. The assumption is that the person saying "So,...." is continuing a conversation of which the other person is already aware.

And "English" should be capitalized in English, even though the names of languages are not always capitalized in other languages.

(I know it's not proper to start a sentence with "And" either, but I like how it sounds that way.)

• Like 2

On 6/16/2022 at 3:19 PM, Doreen Garrigus said:

The "Lament Configuration" is my favorite Puzzle Box! And when you open it, there's a surprise you won't forget.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

It is ok in a casual conversation or virtual dialog.

for me, in my school english perhaps, "so" is a conclusion, but in that line it's not followed by that but a fact  '"I know this is an old post,""  
In dutch  "informal" is officially only allowed in spoken form, not in writing.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

for me, in my school english perhaps, "so" is a conclusion, but in that line it's not followed by that but a fact  '"I know this is an old post,""  
In dutch  "informal" is officially only allowed in spoken form, not in writing.

I forgot you were Dutch and thought you were just being picky.  😄

English can be very informal in both spoken and written form sometimes. I understood the "So,..." in that sentence to be like someone in a spoken conversation saying, "So anyway,..." which is often used to change a topic of discussion, as someone pausing and thinking about a topic which they then continue a few minutes later, or as just a common but grammatically incorrect way of starting a conversation. An example would be, "So, how do you like this weather we've been having?" or "So, what did you think of the Amber Herd - Johnny Depp trial?" 

• Like 2

Not to get too deep in arcane grammatical territory ... John McWhorter has an interesting editorial in today's New York Times entitled "Sometimes proper speech isn't correct speech."  I don't know whether that link will work unless you are a subscriber, but give it a try. His point, writing as an English professor, is that "correct" written English can sound pretentious and stuffy when it's spoken.  The spoken language allows for comfortable relaxation of the rules.  I suspect that's the case in Dutch as well.  I would go farther and suggest that under many circumstances, the rules for proper English should be relaxed in writing as well.  Strict adherence to the rules can mark you as a pedant and put an unnecessary barrier between you and the reader.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

.. His point, writing as an English professor, is that "correct" written English can sound pretentious and stuffy when it's spoken.  The spoken language allows for comfortable relaxation of the rules

i experience the same with māori language. There is formal māori (grammatical form) language and there is what we call kitchen māori. Formal māori for when we have to stand and speak/orate formally to a formal gathering. Be respectful of the language and to the people present yes

can be shame funny sometimes tho. Like one time this person stood and lectured the previous speakers on using kitchen māori to address what was a formal gathering. Then they switched to english language to explain to the non-māori speakers what was being said. And the lecturing person did this in kitchen english

left themselves wide open, too funny! shame!

was a rush to be the next speaker. To lecture the lecturer on how disrespectful it is to lecture the gathering in kitchen english, on the need to be respectful of language when speaking forrmally

kaumātua quelled the rush, stood and did it a kind way with plenty of humour, while also acknowledging the point the lecturer had been wanting/trying to make, which everybody present took onboard. And to their credit that person stood up again and apologised to the previous speakers and to the gathering. So was all good

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

...puffs out her chest and proudly points to her Pedant of the Year medallion.

Wear it proudly. I come from a long line of pedants and logophiles and have done my best to carry the flag. It's a lonely business, though. I find myself occasionally thinking of the words of some long-forgotten British royal: "One does what one can, but one must sometimes listen to the voice of the common man." In that spirit, I've been learning slowly to choose my battles. Some rules have to be defended at all costs. Others?  Meh.  I'm becoming a wussy pedant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2022 at 10:14 PM, Alwin Alcott said:

I wasn't criticizing anybody's English. I was frustrated by SL group limits, meaning both the number of groups and the number of people who can be active before group chat fails, and it struck me as an absolutely perfect response to the issue. I shall sing my Group Lament!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Doreen Garrigus said:

I wasn't criticizing anybody's English. I was frustrated by SL group limits, meaning both the number of groups and the number of people who can be active before group chat fails, and it struck me as an absolutely perfect response to the issue. I shall sing my Group Lament!

Premium Plus will fix it!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.