Wooster, Worcester, or Worcestershire sauce?

Orwar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1066 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

It's pronounced as has been posted. I would spell the pronunciation as wusstersher sauce, and I've recently started shaking it onto my tomato soup :)

From Yorkshire you should pronounce it Hen..der...sons... re...lish

A proper table sauce from the right side of the Pennines..

8170FRcSixL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 3

A bit extra on the pronunciation up 'ere.

The last syllable in Wusstersher is short. It is the length of 'the' and not the length of 'there'. The 'r' isn't sounded and it doesn't cause the syllable to be longer. I should write it wusstershe but the last syllable could get pronounced to sound like 'she', as in she is beautiful, and that would be wrong.

It's exactly the same with the middle syllable - short. so it's wuss-te-she, with the sound and shortness of the 2nd and 3rd syllables the same as 'the' and 'a'.

These things are very important :)

2 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

No. Thats a North American accent, the R's are too hard.

THIS is how to pronounce Worcestershire in the native English accent.

https://translate.google.co.uk/?hl=en-GB&sl=auto&tl=en&text=Worcestershire&op=translate

That's pretty close to the pronunciation I was brought up with.  Well, maybe a wee bit more OO in the "Wor-" part, but not much.

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

But it's not made by filling a barrel full of fish bits and forgetting about it for months, just not the same.

Hey, that sounds a lot like garum and Worcester is an old Roman settlement! Is there a connection?

(a few minutes of frantic Googling later)

Seems there probably is, that's amazing!

(In case some ignorami stumble across this, garum is an ancient Greek/Phoenician condiment popularized by the Romans so we're talking about a recipe that is more than 2,000 and maybe even 3,000 years old.)

Edited by ChinRey

8 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Not up 'ere, it doesn't. Up 'ere it's always pronounced sher

My sincere apologies for forgetting about regional variations; thanks for correcting me. (With half my family born and living in Yorksher, I should have remembered!)

You'll be hard-pushed to find it ever pronounced "[county]shyre", as a complete county name, though?  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

ketchup

(wait, is that ketchup or catsup???)

or as several have mentioned, pass the Lea & Perrins

but it isn't steak sauce because then everyone yells "No! That's A-1!"

Good god, why would anyone put either on a steak? No no no

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

ketchup

(wait, is that ketchup or catsup???)

or as several have mentioned, pass the Lea & Perrins

but it isn't steak sauce because then everyone yells "No! That's A-1!"

You're back?  

Not letting you get away again!!!!

FarawaySeveralCoqui-small.gif

Edited by Jordan Whitt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you want something to drip on a steak, this one is really awesome..

I use this in so many things I cook..I have to keep a good stock in the pantry because we go through a lot of this..

07fbd1ea-bbab-4257-a0f5-5322ffe86009_1.9

I'd say Tiger Sauce and Louisiana hot sauce, mild version without the heat are used on more things than anything in our house.. Even popcorn..

But Tiger sauce is so good for marinading and grilling and on the table..

Plus, A alot of people can pronounce Tiger.. hehehe

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

If you want something to drip on a steak, this one is really awesome..

I use this in so many things I cook..I have to keep a good stock in the pantry because we go through a lot of this..

07fbd1ea-bbab-4257-a0f5-5322ffe86009_1.9

I'd say Tiger Sauce and Louisiana hot sauce, mild version without the heat are used on more things than anything in our house.. Even popcorn..

But Tiger sauce is so good for marinading and grilling and on the table..

Plus, A alot of people can pronounce Tiger.. hehehe

Oof a good steak doesn't need sauce. I just like montreal seasoning and a tiny pinch of jerk seasoning. And chopped scallion. I dunno why, i put scallion on everything. That sauce does sound good though. Wouldn't mind trying it on a rack of ribs xD.

Edited by Finite

2 minutes ago, Finite said:

Oof a good steak doesn't need sauce. I just like montreal seasoning and a pinch of jerk. That sauce does sound good though. Wouldn't mind trying it on a rack of ribs xD.

If there is one thing I know, it's really good beef..  Smothering a steak at the table, then something is wrong with it.. A drop or two can enhance a good steak even more..

The meat I see in stores looks just terrible compared to what we raise.. I practically have to avoid the meat section in a store because my tummy will start to turn if I look at the beef.. hehehe

About the only time I marinade them is if we are grilling.. I'll do it with the veggies also.

Yes, It is really good on ribs for sure.:)

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1066 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.