AFK/Bot avatars

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I bet this has been talked about many times but since getting back into SL and exploring as many populated places as I can find... The AFK and bot avis are THE WORST. I see 0 point in sims to AFK at... Idk. They only make sense if the sim has a theme that needs some characters added to it.

Edited by AlmondJoy69
  • Haha 1

Their land, their rules I guess.
The use of bots is not forbidden. Being AFK either.
So there is very little you can do about it, but to accept it happens IMHO.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

You don't know if that are bots and you don't know if they are afk. You have no clue if that is a text client playing chat relay or someone playing a hud game or if that is a bot doing something or a bot parking. Besides of that bots are legit.

In other words, you know nothing about things that are not your business. 😎

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AlmondJoy69 said:

They only make sense to me if the sim has a theme that needs some characters added to it.

What makes sense to you, and what makes sense to others varies a lot. We all have our own ideas about what makes sense. So your statement is totally wrong, but I fixed it for you - the red words.

You're welcome :)

Edited by Phil Deakins

3 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

hi, yes, i don't think i asked if there was anything i could do about it. just sharing some SL frustrations, but that doesn't me i'm begging for a way to fix it lol

1 hour ago, Nova Convair said:

You don't know if that are bots and you don't know if they are afk. You have no clue if that is a text client playing chat relay or someone playing a hud game or if that is a bot doing something or a bot parking. Besides of that bots are legit.

it's okay to ask about things in which i don't understand. i didn't know sims could play hud games or do chat relay. when i enter a sim full of 30+ and it's completely silent, it's fine for me to assume they are either bots or just AFK. i've went to Info Hub's recently where default avatars are all in a group, facing the same way, and then some disappear and different ones reappear so I wondered if those were actually bots. maybe they are just new people to SL though. 

so in a way... i can make it my business to try to understand what it means 🤭 

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

What makes sense to you, and what makes sense to others varies a lot. We all have our own ideas about what makes sense. So your statement is totally wrong, but I fixed it for you - the red words.

You're welcome :)

very informative information! you're right that it makes sense to me but I doubt I'm the only one. i now understand that perhaps they serve some type of purpose. i'm just trying to figure SL out and am open to changing my opinion  if someone responds to my frustrations with something useful that will help me learn more about SL 🙃

2 hours ago, AlmondJoy69 said:

when i enter a sim full of 30+ and it's completely silent

I go to several places where there is no local chat and inevitably someone say ,"this places must be full of bots".  In fact, people are often chatting in IM, just there to listen to music and people watch or any number of things.  I'm sure quite a few are afk but in my experience, if I message, I get a response.

If you're talking about those dedicated afk sex places, yeah I don't understand that either.

You can turn the quiet group into an audience for your grand solo performance. I like to use Shakespeare's Juliet, "My only love sprung from my only hate! To early seen unknown and known too late! Prodigious birth of love it is to me, that I must love a loathed enemy!" Be sure to have a bow or curtsy animation ready when the audience applauds. 

24/7 there are 30,000 users online so thats your bots and afk . Half the remainder to account for those who run more than one character simultaneously and your left with a VERY optimistic number of actual users . Each could be given a sim the size of Australia but then things would be kinda silent 🤣

• Haha 1

I suppose it must not have made sense to LL either to have AFK avi's and bots seeing that the option to auto log them out after a set time of being away is still in the viewer. I could be wrong but I thought I had been told by someone that before I came, the Away log out was mandatory until there was enough o a ruckus caused that they made it optional.

On 5/16/2021 at 3:48 AM, AlmondJoy69 said:

. i've went to Info Hub's recently where default avatars are all in a group, facing the same way, and then some disappear and different ones reappear so I wondered if those were actually bots.

There's a problem with bots piling up at info hubs. When their home sim is restarted, some of the bots try to log in again, but their home sim is down. So they get sent to an info hub, because that's what happens when your home location is down. Many of them don't have enough programmed intelligence to get back where they belong without human assistance. I've seen bot avatars forced through walls by the pressure of the pileup.

Maybe info hubs should have some kind of security orb to eject avatars stuck there, maybe after a few IMs ("Hi, are you a stuck bot? If not, move around a bit, or answer this popup, so we can tell you're alive. Otherwise we'll eject you in an hour. Thanks.")

Private property owners plagued by unwanted bots can eject them. It's mostly a problem for un-monitored info hubs.

Script IM and group services not very reliable or not sufficient:

- If you ban some one from group, another moderator can send invitation person can join group again despite being banned from group so moderator have to check ban list every time.. (correct me if I am wrong or it is fixed.).. only solution, disable "anyone can join option" and organize group joins with a bot and only allow invitation via bot.

- If resident rents a place some one have to send out private group tag.. this is only possible to automate via bot and same bot have to remove renter from group when rent time over with a kind warning.

- In a place with busy local (clubs with gesture spams) chat messages sent via LSL usually ignored by user. Best option using bot to send private IM.. if user not interested s/he can block it.

A bot apparently a must for proper management and service. We have multiple bots but they always sit on same SIM and perform tasks instructed via LSL.

2 hours ago, RunawayBunny said:

A bot apparently a must for proper management and service.

I guess you are trying to explain why bots are in SL.  Large businesses with tens of thousands of customers probably need bot automation.  But there are not that many in that category, and they are usually all in the same region as the main shop. Most of these functions can be handled by a 1 prim sign.  No avatar/bot needed, just the scripts loaded in a prim.

Smaller businesses and clubs do not need bots to function.  We prefer personal attention by the staff.  That is why we hire a real-time staff.  Group invitations are only sent by personal invite by a staff member - no impersonal bots involved.  That allows us to screen group members as well, which keeps the griefers under control.

To the OP:  Trying to understand SL by finding the bots seems like a poor way to enjoy SL. Maybe it's just a curiosity and you find real live people in SL too, I hope so :)

Edited by Jaylinbridges

Just now, Coffee Pancake said:

LSL Spam is ignored. Bot spam is more invasive. Gotcha.

Yep.. if you know better way to inform your costumers with a private way about lost stream password / stream port details for the service they have purchased let me know.

1 hour ago, RunawayBunny said:

Yep.. if you know better way to inform your costumers with a private way about lost stream password / stream port details for the service they have purchased let me know.

Just a couple scripts in a sign prim, in your store. I'll send you a scripter and store example.

• Like 2

On 5/16/2021 at 12:49 PM, Nova Convair said:

Yes, but bots are a problem and they are my business if they enter any of my regions - a landowner has the option and legal right to be discretionary about who to invite and who to block. Its unfortunately a futile exercise to block identified bots using the land tools available.  A better exercise would be to come up with a script which searches profiles and blocks those avatars identified a bots.  Or Linden Labs should offer this as an option. 

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2021 at 6:23 AM, animats said:

There's a problem with bots piling up at info hubs. When their home sim is restarted, some of the bots try to log in again, but their home sim is down. So they get sent to an info hub, because that's what happens when your home location is down. Many of them don't have enough programmed intelligence to get back where they belong without human assistance. I've seen bot avatars forced through walls by the pressure of the pileup.

Maybe info hubs should have some kind of security orb to eject avatars stuck there, maybe after a few IMs ("Hi, are you a stuck bot? If not, move around a bit, or answer this popup, so we can tell you're alive. Otherwise we'll eject you in an hour. Thanks.")

Private property owners plagued by unwanted bots can eject them. It's mostly a problem for un-monitored info hubs.

Ejecting bots from private regions is possible, but who wants to spend their limited time in sl identifying and ejecting/blocking bots?  Its a problem which can be addressed easiest by Linden Labs or alternatively by implementing a script to identify and eject bots automatically. 

• Haha 1

On 5/16/2021 at 11:26 AM, Sid Nagy said:

If its my land I make the rules.  Bots are a nuisance, especially on homestead regions.  Identifying and blocking bots is a waste of time as well.  This is something which seems to be getting worse and Linden should consider offering land owners a means to regulate this proliferation which detracts from the free enjoyment of SL.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Marcus Bremser said:

If its my land I make the rules.  Bots are a nuisance, especially on homestead regions.  Identifying and blocking bots is a waste of time as well.  This is something which seems to be getting worse and Linden should consider offering land owners a means to regulate this proliferation which detracts from the free enjoyment of SL.

The discussion is more about land owners using bots on their own land.  The random bots showing up on YOUR land is a whole other thread somewhere.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

The discussion is more about land owners using bots on their own land.  The random bots showing up on YOUR land is a whole other thread somewhere.

Thanks!  I can't seem to find any discussion on this... at least since 2012.  Maybe I am the only one being bothered by unwanted bots?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.