Are the clouds to blame? x3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I start to get really annoyed but since the cloud uplift was completed, things went south!

When I change something via HUD (makeup, hair etc.) it occasionally happened back then, that those changes were not saved. But lately? Its the norm NOTHING is kept as you changed it.

Which is especially annoying since you seem to crash at every 5th TP on some days!

Also my region, in all my 14 years in SL I never had to contact live chat help....since uplift? I had to contact the 3 times for my region not booting up again after the rolling restarts.

And the Lindens that helped me were the sweetest people ever so don't think I have an issue with them T^T they were fast and always super helpful and nice ❤️

I have really good machine because I also need it for work (10k+ its a shame y.y) and fast internet 1GB download and nice upload too, so its not that or the router xD 

I am wondering if I am alone with this? Have you noticed changes? I mean beside the group chat being even worse than ever? And I really was like at the beginning "give them some time everthing will be fine when the uplift is completed" well...now? I do not think like that anymore, and the worst is that you do not get the feeling that LL does care much for it anymore -_- no one seems to address those issues...HONESTLY not the sugar coating version. I can handle a "oh ya thats crappy right now BUT we know it and we are working on it"

~~ Thanks for reading my annoyedness <33

Edited by Gwin LeShelle
  • Like 2

Just now, Lucia Nightfire said:

Do you use Malwarebytes? If so, see this bug report and its recommended workaround.

nah. I do not use that becaue it cr*p x3 and I do not crash every 5th TP but on some days it is really really bad lately so just take that as annoyed overexaggerating from me  xD and really this is nothing on my end! All those things are defenitely SLs fault, the performance over all has really gone worse since then. But thank you so much for caring enough to even read my rant -_-❤️

1 hour ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

I am wondering if I am alone with this? Have you noticed changes?

I've seen some of what you mention, especially the TP-crash and subsequent loss of floaters opened, increasing more during the past couple of weeks, but I don't think it's necessarily the cloud, nor even LL's code. The cloud move took place some time back and the recent increases can't therefore be attributed wholly to it.

I think it's showing network traffic on some routes is causing delay in your viewer and the region communicating and then a time-out forces a disconnect.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
  • Thanks 1

The fact that you are crashing so much would be a major cause for your problem with your changes not saving.

This has always been a problem, not a fault of the uplift. I do understand how frustrating it is, and in order to prevent it, whenever I make a change to any item I detach it, wait a few seconds and then reattach it again. This should then save the change, and in the event of a crash (which prevents the changes updating that occur during a normal logging out process) the save will already have been made.

I have followed this practice for many years, and it does seem to work for me.

• Like 2

Just now, Sister Nova said:

The fact that you are crashing so much would be a major cause for your problem with your changes not saving.

This has always been a problem, not a fault of the uplift. I do understand how frustrating it is, and in order to prevent it, whenever I make a change to any item I detach it, wait a few seconds and then reattach it again. This should then save the change, and in the event of a crash (which prevents the changes updating that occur during a normal logging out process) the save will already have been made.

I have followed this practice for many years, and it does seem to work for me.

Thats why I said I know this problem happened x3 but I never happend to crash that lot...ok when I take an adult look at it and not the bratty annoyed look I would say I crash about oce or twice in 3 days lol But I never crashed that much before and the problem I have is it does also seem to happen now when I do not crash and jsut log out <.<

4 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

I've seen some of what you mention, especially the TP-crash and subsequent loss of floaters opened, increasing more during the past couple of weeks, but I don't think it's necessarily the cloud, nor even LL's code. The cloud move took place some time back and the recent increases can't therefore be attributed wholly to it.

I think it's showing network traffic on some routes is causing delay in your viewer and the region communicating and then a time-out forces a disconnect.

My husband said something like this too! I should listen more and just be less annoyed...thank you so much everyone for listening <33

1 hour ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Do you use Malwarebytes? If so, see this bug report and its recommended workaround.

I've used Malwarebytes for over 20 years on several desktops and laptops on different connections and never had any issues/conflicts with SL. There is more to this issue than Malwarebytes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I've used it both ways over the years. Never had any issues with realtime protection. 

That is great, but the majority of the people mentioning problems in that bug report later confirmed that they run Malwarebytes and that adding the viewer executable to the Allowed list solved their issues of crashing when trying to return to a region they visited on the same session.

27 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

That is great, but the majority of the people mentioning problems in that bug report later confirmed that they run Malwarebytes and that adding the viewer executable to the Allowed list solved their issues of crashing when trying to return to a region they visited on the same session.

I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying there is more to it that just Malwarebytes since there are those who have had or are having the same issues but do not have Malwarebytes installed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Please be very very specific.

Step by step, what you do, what you see the viewer do, everything - What happens when you crash on a TP.

If it makes you happy x3

I clicky TP -> Blue bar loads but no such thing like "contacting new region appears -> I know I will crash but still wait until I hear the official DING

thats it xD and no its no specific regions or such its just random happening and as I said up there in the answers...it happens like 2 or 3 times in 3 days or so but it surely never happened or really really rare before that!

But I also stated that I might be just impatient today earlier xD work has been stressful this week in RL so maybe I was overreacting x3

5 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

but no such thing like "contacting new region appears

I can confirm this, (with Catznip, usually the most reliable of the viewers I use) - the screen goes black as expected but then no further progress bar change occurs. It is possible sometimes to cancel the TP attempt but this results in being unable to move or perform any other activity, after some period the " you have been disconnected...." message appears. Without cancelling, he black screen can last for several minutes before being shown the greyed out scene with the disconnection message.

On reconnecting, the location is the first login location, not the point from which the TP attempt was made, and the inventory floater is no longer opened.

Upon clicking on the attempted destination before the crash, an immediate and successful TP occurs. Also, going back to the location from which the TP attempt failed and trying it again also invariably succeeds.

When tying to TP and failing, there are no precursors to warn of a probably failure, textures are all fine, moving around is fine, no rubber-banding or chat lag, this applies to the whole sequence of successful TPs up till the fail point.

• Thanks 1

I've also noticed on trying to log out, I get more times than not, viewer not responding, so I click exit again and get the popup asking if I want to wait for it to respond or continue logging out.  Not 100% of the time but close.  That's regardless of where I log out from.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I've also noticed on trying to log out, I get more times than not, viewer not responding, so I click exit again and get the popup asking if I want to wait for it to respond or continue logging out.  Not 100% of the time but close.  That's regardless of where I log out from.  

same! 

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

OK, that's a time out. The viewer will exit if it doesn't receive anything from the servers.

I saw stuff in the log file suggesting timeout, but what I am puzzling over is, did the region I was trying to TP to not get the message to say "incoming!", or did the region I was going from not get the message "trade for you!". I couldn't tell from what was there (and ther's masses of stuff to wade throuh).

It would be useful for debugging if it were possible, when stuck like that, to force a re-transmission of the whole TP-request thing in case it can be resolved by a second bout of messaging.

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

I've also noticed on trying to log out, I get more times than not, viewer not responding,

I see that but just leave it and after 60 seconds or so it does indeed close down. I'm usually doing other stuff at exit time so it's less fraught than when I'm TP-ing around. 

10 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

I see that but just leave it and after 60 seconds or so it does indeed close down. I'm usually doing other stuff at exit time so it's less fraught than when I'm TP-ing around. 

True although if I do need to shut down quickly, it does sometimes act like a crash and attachments that I had edited and forgotten to detach and reattach, will be in the unedited position upon logging back in.

9 hours ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

I start to get really annoyed but since the cloud uplift was completed, things went south!

When I change something via HUD (makeup, hair etc.) it occasionally happened back then, that those changes were not saved. But lately? Its the norm NOTHING is kept as you changed it.

Which is especially annoying since you seem to crash at every 5th TP on some days!

Also my region, in all my 14 years in SL I never had to contact live chat help....since uplift? I had to contact the 3 times for my region not booting up again after the rolling restarts.

And the Lindens that helped me were the sweetest people ever so don't think I have an issue with them T^T they were fast and always super helpful and nice ❤️

I have really good machine because I also need it for work (10k+ its a shame y.y) and fast internet 1GB download and nice upload too, so its not that or the router xD 

I am wondering if I am alone with this? Have you noticed changes? I mean beside the group chat being even worse than ever? And I really was like at the beginning "give them some time everthing will be fine when the uplift is completed" well...now? I do not think like that anymore, and the worst is that you do not get the feeling that LL does care much for it anymore -_- no one seems to address those issues...HONESTLY not the sugar coating version. I can handle a "oh ya thats crappy right now BUT we know it and we are working on it"

~~ Thanks for reading my annoyedness <33

Nope, you’re not alone. I crash randomly (every 4th or 5th to) and relog to find myself, not in the last location but the one before the last location EVERY TIME. And I’m always never in one piece. Either my shirt fell off or something. It’s weird and wild and annoying. My system is pretty much solid like yours and built for intense gaming. Gig Ethernet too. 

edit: I don’t use malwarebytes or any equivalent.

Edited by Chris Nova

I don't have a superb custom-built desktop as it was built for SL specs (SL's recommended) by someone who just looked up the specs here on the SL website about three years ago now and I have an integrated chip and cannot run EEP now because of my low graphics integrated card but I NEVER crash, never.  I get the 'viewer not responding' when I need to shut down and that's it.   This is way weird.  Why my lesser machine fine while the super machines crashing? o.0  I have no teleport issues whatsoever either (and I zip all around for Friday sales and the Saturday and Weekend Sales events), only during sale madness times or free head giveaways do I ever have trouble TP, things like that.

Edited by FairreLilette

I do have a superb custom-built desktop but also never crash.  The worst I get is that sometimes I will get logged out during a tp but that is a different thing and not very frequent.  The takeaway here is that your mileage may vary in these things and it isn't easy to find out what factors are increasing the frequency of crashes for an individual case.  It may not even be the PC, it may be a slow and unreliable network exposing timing bugs for example.

21 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I do have a superb custom-built desktop but also never crash.  The worst I get is that sometimes I will get logged out during a tp but that is a different thing and not very frequent.  The takeaway here is that your mileage may vary in these things and it isn't easy to find out what factors are increasing the frequency of crashes for an individual case.  It may not even be the PC, it may be a slow and unreliable network exposing timing bugs for example.

Hmmmm, interesting.  I think my network provider is really good then.  I did a quick Google search on Second Life and Timing Out which brought up an old archive and some thought perhaps a router issue, but OP says not a router issue.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.