'Banned' while flying at Bellisseria

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1041 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Hmm, laying out one major reason to never move existing, Non-Bellissaria Linden Home users to homes there ... Right in this thread no less.

Quote please? My eyes aren't being very cooperative today so I must have missed it?

2 minutes ago, Odaks said:

And turn Bellisseria back into mainland wild west. No thank you!

Ah yes, because allowing someone to restrict their parcel access to a Group at any point, for even a short time, will somehow make it just like Mainland, where there is no Covenant on the majority ... Oh yes, Mmhmm! That's exactly what'll happen ...

If you cannot tell, that was absolutely dripping with sarcasm.

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

Mainland will allow that and most private regions will typically allow that. 

Part of what LL wants for the Linden Homes is the 'community feel/aspect'.  

Their place, their rules.

That's nice. If that's what they want for it, that's fine and dandy - as long as it never becomes the only option for Linden Homes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

Ah yes, because allowing someone to restrict their parcel access to a Group at any point, for even a short time, will somehow make it just like Mainland, where there is no Covenant on the majority ... Oh yes, Mmhmm! That's exactly what'll happen ...

If you cannot tell, that was absolutely dripping with sarcasm.

That's nice. If that's what they want for it, that's fine and dandy - as long as it never becomes the only option for Linden Homes.

Would honestly love group-only for my private estate rented property. I'm so sick of bots and nosy neighbors constantly setting off my orb.

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You are totally correct there, but what LL wants is that the person simply be ejected to outside the parcel, which will put them on LL owned land, never sending them to any sort of hub.  It is considered the friendlier way of removing someone from your property.

LOL If I am removing them from my property I'm not being friendly to begin with. What an oxymoron on LL's part. 🤣

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

While I finish reading the thread I have one question that has been bugging me for years.

What is so wrong with being sent home by an orb? It beats the hell out of being sent to an overcrowded hub infested with trolls.

For starters, if your home is unavailable for some reason it can permanently break every scripted item you're wearing.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RitaCallisto said:

Would honestly love group-only for my private estate rented property. I'm so sick of bots and nosy neighbors constantly setting off my orb.

There are plenty of rental properties that allow such.  I'd start searching for a new place.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

For starters, if your home is unavailable for some reason it can permanently break every scripted item you're wearing.

I don't buy no copy. And if your home isn't available you get sent to elsewhere. Like an overcrowded troll infested hub.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

1 minute ago, RitaCallisto said:

Funnily enough .... The place I have set up on the plot I rent uses a stratified Security system. Two places that are restricted access while the rest is either wholly public or semi-public with a parcel wide Security orb present but shut off the majority of the time - after all, unless explicitly banned from a parcel, an individual user is/was at one time only prevented from crossing into/over the parcel near ground level, up to a set distance above it (fifty meters I think it was).

The Linden Home I have does not have/use a Security system and is occasionally set to only allow members of the Friends and Family group I have set up in addition to a set list of individuals that are not in the Group.

22 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Don't like how Ban Lines look? Debug settings, Show Ban Lines. Set it to false.

This has always been a complaint and reason giving on many estates too.  Why can't LL set default to OFF instead of on.  Makes more sense to me since as soon as you bump into that invisible barrier, you realize what it is.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

There are plenty of rental properties that allow such.  I'd start searching for a new place.

Unfortunately I am not renting an entire region, merely a parcel on a region, so I don't think it's possible in that case?

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

This has always been a complaint and reason giving on many estates too.  Why can't LL set default to OFF instead of on.  Makes more sense to me since as soon as you bump into that invisible barrier, you realize what it is.

Perhaps because - until recently - they treated it/understood it for what it was: Bellyaching over a visual indicator that was - at worst - a very minor nuisance.

There are far worse visual irritations than ban lines.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, RitaCallisto said:

Unfortunately I am not renting an entire region, merely a parcel on a region, so I don't think it's possible in that case?

That depends on who you're renting from.  Some owners allow and some don't.  I've always rented from those that do.

10 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I remember the first time I ever encountered an invisible ban line... I think I broke every bone in my avatar's body before it finally dawned on me. I can imagine what that would be like for a newbie that has no clue about ban lines.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

4 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Perhaps because - until recently - they treated it/understood it for what it was: Bellyaching over a visual indicator that was - at worst - a very minor nuisance.

There are far worse visual irritations than ban lines.

I always have ban lines turned off.  I don't really feel the need to belly ache over something I can easily fix myself.  If people need them on when flying or driving, of course, turn them back on otherwise, they're unnecessary.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I remember the first time I ever encountered an invisible ban line... I think I broke every bone in my avatar's body before it finally dawned on me. I can imagine what that would be like for a newbie that has no clue about ban lines.

I hope you recovered quickly! 😊. The first time I did encounter invisible ban lines I WAS a noob.  Luckily, no permanent damage was done.  Noobs encounter a few things that limit their access to places.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I always have ban lines turned off.  I don't really feel the need to belly ache over something I can easily fix myself.  If people need them on when flying or driving, of course, turn them back on otherwise, they're unnecessary.

Meh, to each their own on that one.

Either way you'd have people griping, though for different initial reasons.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I hope you recovered quickly! 😊. The first time I did encounter invisible ban lines I WAS a noob.  Luckily, no permanent damage was done.  Noobs encounter a few things that limit their access to places.  

Yes, but most of those things they encounter are visible and easy to navigate. Things you can't see like invisible ban lines? Not so much.

• Like 1

If you are driving a vehicle, flying a plane or sailing a boat, the usual effect of hitting a ban line is that the driver becomes detached from the vehicle. Both go their separate ways. Ban lines loom into sight when you get close to them; if a bit of lag is in force, you have no chance whatsoever and, as often as not, by the time you see them anyway it may be too late to avoid hitting them. If all that happened was a harmless bounce, things wouldn't be so bad. Unfortunately, that is not what happens and your journey ends there in disarray. Turning ban lines visibility off only has aesthetic value. It only worsens the traveller's situation.

@animats toiled to script a solution. I cannot remember the outcome, but I seem to remember he made good progress. I don't have time to research at present.

Edited by Odaks
  • Like 1

That's nice.

Been over that countless times and quite frankly (and personally) view the sort that keeps their parcel restricted to Group-Only all day, every day (among other things) to be the problem.

If Linden Lab is - as they once suggested they would do - planning on rolling existing Linden Homes users into the new continent (for any reason) then they really do need to remove that restriction or set aside entire segments that do not have it.

"Oh but you could go buy a Mainland Parcel or rent from a Private Island!" Already renting a place that is built with being visitor friendly in mind on an Island that actually has the LI bonus on it. Not going to shell out a lump sum to purchase a Mainland Parcel that is 512 or 1024 with double the LI allotment (which would be required to be able to put down even a low LI, decent home and still be able to put things inside of it - one of the major selling points of Linden Homes is/was the fact that the house does not count against the LI of the parcel).

39 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Yes, but most of those things they encounter are visible and easy to navigate. Things you can't see like invisible ban lines? Not so much.

I meant more like access denies because of avatar age or no payment info.  We get a few here now and them asking why they can't access a region.  I panicked more when I encountered my first security orb.  OMG I'd entered a restricted area!  All of a sudden I'm tossed off somewhere with no idea what happened.  Ah good times.

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Noobs encounter a few things that limit their access to places.  

I wonder what that does for SL's retention rate -- you're happily walking along exploring the place and start bouncing off invisible obstacles for no apparent reason.   

That wouldn't really impress me with the quality of the platform if I was a new user taking a look at SL for the first time.    

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1041 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.