Sign in to follow this  
RumbleR Boa

Scripters needed to join in a further developing of a "mini operating system" type of Hud

Hey guys, I made something like a "mini operating system" HUD, so if you have a little bit of time to check it out.
If you get interested in what you saw and you have some questions or would like to join this idea you can contact me via IM

All the basic things which you need to know about this system are presented in these 2 videos

It is very important that you look the whole videos from start to the end in order to fully understand.
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhEvBq6508w
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KzRCZL9R-4

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please check videos first and then check the text below

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FAQ until now:

[What is this?!]

Idea is to create a protocol which will be easy for other developers (scripters) to make compatible Apps which will "run" within the same Hud platform...

[Why its called The Unnamed Hud??]

Spent long time developing the hud so didnt have time and nerves to bother to find some good name. If you have some idea for the name feel free to suggest :)

[What are Apps]

Think about them as Huds withing one major Hud. When you click some icon Hud will turn on script(s) needed for some App to run; then user will use the App, and when user closes the App, Hud will turn off script(s). App developer has the freedom to decide if his script will continue to run in background if nature of the certain app requires.

[What do you want from us?]

I would like to see some creative experienced scripters to work with me on a further developing of this Hud and compatible Apps. I think that it can be quite a fun and for sure profitable.

[What do I get if i make App for this hud?]

If you make some cool App you can submit it to be checked and approved. App will be checked for some malicious codes and bugs. After its approved it will be posted to a marketplace for these Apps where it will be sold based on profit split

[How can i join?]

Contact RumbleR Boa

[Do I need to pay something to join?!?!]

Hehehe of course not :)

All the best,

RumbleR Boa

This is not the right place for business partners (who in this case are scriptors) you should take this to the Commmerce forums.

Btw: Everybody will see that you're idea is thast of the App Store - at least as far as the business model is concerned - even without you using the Apple icons - I hope you licensed the use of these logos - otherwise this could become expensive ;)

Hehehe yes I used first Icons that I found, only as a test. These are for sure not going to be in the final version. Hud is not published yet.

By the way, my idea is not connected to Apple store... Its more connected with Android store ;) Also, doesnt matter if you call it store, market or marketplace, or flee market... Idea is to have abbility to obtain additional "plugins" for main hud

I need scripters, so i cant post in Commerce forum because I need to post where there are majority of Scripters. I was also thinking to post in Employment section, but the thing is that I am not searching for Employees... My final answer is that I search for scripters to join me. Will they join to earn money or only to spend some time in having fun is not important.

sounds neat but a little script heavy.

With limits in our future on scripting and making sure we are respectful to the SL environment and keeping scripting use to min being the best way to run these days I am having a hard time trying to understand why a designer that is a capable builder and scripter would what to add a 3rd parties hud to a build.

The fact is "if "the Hud OS has a issue the person making a app would have to explain every time to a buyer needing support that it is the huds isuue and not the app makers.

It adds spots on the game view as well to have to work around.

I think what I am saying is the apps look like they take a skilled scripter to make them and SL offers us a OS with cache and all its own bugs  to run funtions on,so what is the need in this? we have a OS to run apps (any hud made or script is a app of the SL platform)

I am glad that you asked about number of scripts. I can conclude that you didnt carefully check explanation about lag management. Doesnt matter if you have 100 scripts in this hud, they will be off when not used. Just for any case, lets say that it happened that Hud didnt turn of some script, hud user is always able to check if there are active scripts running in background and force their shutting down.

Your second question about the usability is excellent. I was trying to think about the final user and the way how to manage multiple huds. Of course that in system that we already have its totally normal to have stand alone huds. People are making these huds years and years back... But that doesnt mean that we cant try to make new approach and see how it would go.

Sounds pretty interesting; i always thought there should be a central system for such things, so i don't have to rez some prim with a script or constantly attach and detach 10 huds.

Seems quite interesting, might IM you on that :P

Wow, this might work out well for many who wish to sort of make thier own multihud!

My question is...how will you prepare for the new script limits? Will this product be better for that, or not much different from present multi funtion Huds, as far as Kb's and number of scripts go?

I say this because I know an avatar that might be interested, so I will quickly ask these questions here and now since I am logged in. Plus, others might like to see the answers and it helps us understand the product a bit more. Thanks for any response!

EDIT: I do not want anyone under any NDA to be trpped up here, so if there is any beta with script limits testing...please watch you don't get in trouble! lol.

Hehehe its amazing how people do not read carefully :) This is what I posted few posts above yours as a reply to wrable Amat:

"I am glad that you asked about number of scripts. I can conclude that you didnt carefully check explanation about lag management. Doesnt matter if you have 100 scripts in this hud, they will be off when not used. Just for any case, lets say that it happened that Hud didnt turn of some script, hud user is always able to check if there are active scripts running in background and force their shutting down."

By the way thank you for your positive feedback. There will be no NDA... Personally I think that the whole story about NDA is usually overblown. I am not making a space **bleep** or time machine. All the "secrets" about this hud you could have seen directly in the video :)

If you know person who is willing to join tell him/her to contact me inworld.

Two things to note about script limits:

1. It is about the amount of memory they consume, not whether they are active or not, so your comments about disabling those not being used misses the point, they will still occupy memory simply by being rezzed.
  2. LL have said the script limits is on-hold for now anyway, so none of this may matter to you.  The only trouble you may have is with sim-crossings, where all scripts have to be handed-over to the new sim (slow, currently buggy) and inactive scripts are reset (https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-1853) so will lose any stored information.

yes, this resetting when scripts are off is really  irritating, but there are always workarounds to store important params.

Hhm. I was refering to the script limits that are arriving sometime in the future. These where mentioned as part of an effort to make SL more scalable, in order to handle growth. Not only growth of population but growth of "stuff" in inventories.

There is another component to it that would give each avatar a "pool" of resources for thier scripts attached to them. So, the idea is hair will be borken, people will scream and makers get angry notecards lol. If a script is sitting inactive it still takes up resources from a server, but far less. They can add up and that is one of the things they where talking about. Hair with scripts in each prim will be dead! So a rash of prim resizers, color changes ect. where made and put in the library lol.

But, I don't know about these limits, as far as what they will be. So, I figure CPU cycle/time, and KB's...right? I guess you know as much as anyone, which seems to be not much at all lol.

The NDA was in reference to anyone on LL's script limit alpha, beta or otherwise.

BTW, since I am here. You can find free fonts and even some guidelines to use if you search for "Tango icons" but these are under some open license...I assume you would need to check all that out.

Anyway, neat project. Good luck as I know LSL can be tricky!

How I look at this issue... Having some engine doesnt mean that you need to use it excessively. Its the same with land. you have limited usage and thats it, but even if you have some limit it doesnt mean that you are obligated to always use its maximum.

So if some person is happy with the system where he/she can combine certain number of cool apps so that doesnt need to fill the screen with several huds, or to search/attach/detach constantly then I think that we have one target group of people who would be satisfied with this product

Lets also think from this persective. Some Multi Huds are very very good, but some people do not use all of their features, so for them it might be good if they can simply permanently Remove those unsed features, but sadly they are not able. Or... Imagine that person has the hud which has some cool option but its just that one cool option which is missing and sadly person is not able to add it...

There will always be things such as What if this, What if that... so I totally understand, but I see that people are mainly pointing out the limits when it comes to script numbers and also the lag management. Even if this new rule comes to life it will not be such a nightmare as people are trying to present it.

About the icons... hehe yes, they are already changed :)

And thank you for you feedback :) As always very very appretiated :)