Needing help on getting my RP sim out there.

xxVi3perxx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 104 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not an advertisement

Recently I just opened up an urban RP but getting the people to join has been hard. I've posted in several RP groups in world but nobody really participates on when events are going on let alone for variety of jobs open. Even though the RP has just opened two weeks ago and fully operational is there any suggestions on how to get it noticed for people to come. Little to be known its on a homestead not a full sim estate because I cannot afford that with my budget but I am just needing some ideas or tips since posting ads is not allowed here in the forums for RP sims etc. Any sort of advice is helpful to me really. :) 

P.S. We have only had 200 visitors not a lot like most RP places have for second life so I am just wondering how to up the traffic to attract more people to join and participate.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think you are asking yourself a wrong question, honestly. You've had 200 visitors? That's great! So people do see your place and come to check it out. So whatever you are doing to get out there is working. Keep on it. 

Why not focus on why people who  come to check your place are not staying? 

Is there anyone to play with? Empty RP regions are abundant. 

Do you offer anything unique, compared to other urban RPs? 

Is it easy to start at your place? 

Just some food for thought. :3

• Like 3

Littoralis makes very good points.

Personally, I'd prefer a homestead SIM that's there to stay to a full SIM that will be gone because the owner can't really afford it, and while many prins are great, they are no good replacement for good roleplay.

Unfortunately, the few homesteads I've been playing on during my time here, disappeared far too quickly as well, so a homestead doesn't necessarily mean it might be there for a longer time, which might else be an advantage.

But generally, I fear many or most people who check out a new SIM don't even begin to consider playing there, when they see it's "just a homestead".

Main reason might even be not the fewer prims and thus "less sparkle", but first and foremost the idea that the SIM won't take off anyway because it's "just a homestead" (vicious circle there), and then thoughts that even if it would take off, the number of concurrent avatars possible lowers chances to find someone among them that they click with, that if it's busy, they won't be able to get in, or lag so badly they'd give up anyway, and so on.

Some of my thoughts,

- A homestead probably is much more suited for regular RP with a group of friends if one is into that,

- or else maybe it could work if you focus on providing a kind of rp niche that just enough people would like and isn't provided by bigger SIMs,

- or you'd really need to stand out in some other way, like, idk,

have an absolutely awesome lore,

an ongoing story that purposely is made so new people can easily jump in at any point,

be the only place that uses no huds or applications,

have a published "schedule", so people could really be certain to find someone out in the open and ready to play, on Mondays and Wednesdays at 9pm, and on Sundays at 11am, a forum where people can make "rp appointments", ...

things like that are what pops into my head spontaneously. 

And to keep advertising in the RP groups, and in-world in RP hubs, at Fantasy Faire, maybe people are tempted if they see you stick around and active.

Oh, and make sure people are able to find your place when they use in-world search for the right keywords, I've known quite a few places that weren't searchable, not sure if the owners just didn't care, or were not paying the fee lindens to appear in search, or that had some weird keywords, wasting space for things that probably would have worked better (but that's from my perspective, I might be wrong ^_^).

I think you can also apply with your SIM to be listed in the official place directory for the relevant roleplay genre, but I don't know the conditions, maybe worth to find out, at least if you plan and have the means to keep your SIM open for the long run.

Perhaps sharing (SIM rent, decorating, rules and lore set-up, advertising,  ...) with a friend or two if you have really good ones, might work well too, they might be more inspired and invested in making it work if they really are in it, I think it's a too big and too lonely thing to make a place work all on your own.

Well, I hope maybe one or two ideas of the above will help. Good luck!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Littoralis said:

I think you are asking yourself a wrong question, honestly. You've had 200 visitors? That's great! So people do see your place and come to check it out. So whatever you are doing to get out there is working. Keep on it. 

Why not focus on why people who  come to check your place are not staying? 

Do you offer anything unique, compared to other urban RPs? 

Is it easy to start at your place? 

Just some food for thought. :3

I've only had people most of them bots come for like 10 seconds and then leave but then I have had a few people who would look around and not even talk to me when I greet them even in private IMS like last night I had 2 people come in I was right there in plain sight and they both decided to ignore my greeting message and private IMS and just left. I have a roleplay story in the mix with tied to a tv series called TrueBlood but really its urban mixed with a bit of Trueblood lore to it. Its a homestead I can afford each month and big enough to suit anyone's needs lots of hidden places to have fun at if people explore. I offer housing for two apartments along with various adult content related jobs with normal jobs as well. Even put in a Motorcycle club but I think the reason people barely stay is because of the Bloodlines haunt but that is only there for bloodline players to click on for the daily achievement I even post when events are going on but barely anyone shows up. I have like 5 people who are active on the town all the time including myself and I have the landmark set at the start of Main Street. I have a rule that Bloodlines are not allowed to attack anyone without gaining permission first and then if decline just not use the hud system on anyone who declines. I do provide variety of stores, places to hangout at and even roleplay. This is my first time running an urban city RP here on SL.  Urban mixture with supernatural creatures lore is what I plan on doing.

11 hours ago, Meccha Suki said:

Littoralis makes very good points.

Personally, I'd prefer a homestead SIM that's there to stay to a full SIM that will be gone because the owner can't really afford it, and while many prins are great, they are no good replacement for good roleplay.

Unfortunately, the few homesteads I've been playing on during my time here, disappeared far too quickly as well, so a homestead doesn't necessarily mean it might be there for a longer time, which might else be an advantage.

But generally, I fear many or most people who check out a new SIM don't even begin to consider playing there, when they see it's "just a homestead".

Main reason might even be not the fewer prims and thus "less sparkle", but first and foremost the idea that the SIM won't take off anyway because it's "just a homestead" (vicious circle there), and then thoughts that even if it would take off, the number of concurrent avatars possible lowers chances to find someone among them that they click with, that if it's busy, they won't be able to get in, or lag so badly they'd give up anyway, and so on.

Some of my thoughts,

- A homestead probably is much more suited for regular RP with a group of friends if one is into that,

- or else maybe it could work if you focus on providing a kind of rp niche that just enough people would like and isn't provided by bigger SIMs,

- or you'd really need to stand out in some other way, like, idk,

have an absolutely awesome lore,

an ongoing story that purposely is made so new people can easily jump in at any point,

be the only place that uses no huds or applications,

have a published "schedule", so people could really be certain to find someone out in the open and ready to play, on Mondays and Wednesdays at 9pm, and on Sundays at 11am, a forum where people can make "rp appointments", ...

things like that are what pops into my head spontaneously. 

And to keep advertising in the RP groups, and in-world in RP hubs, at Fantasy Faire, maybe people are tempted if they see you stick around and active.

Oh, and make sure people are able to find your place when they use in-world search for the right keywords, I've known quite a few places that weren't searchable, not sure if the owners just didn't care, or were not paying the fee lindens to appear in search, or that had some weird keywords, wasting space for things that probably would have worked better (but that's from my perspective, I might be wrong ^_^).

I think you can also apply with your SIM to be listed in the official place directory for the relevant roleplay genre, but I don't know the conditions, maybe worth to find out, at least if you plan and have the means to keep your SIM open for the long run.

Perhaps sharing (SIM rent, decorating, rules and lore set-up, advertising,  ...) with a friend or two if you have really good ones, might work well too, they might be more inspired and invested in making it work if they really are in it, I think it's a too big and too lonely thing to make a place work all on your own.

Well, I hope maybe one or two ideas of the above will help. Good luck!

I have advertised on Facebook about the RP along with posting in several groups but people tend to say oh no thank you not my style and basically makes it harder to find people when it comes to the roleplay part. I have a few adboards up along with other things posted but it seems like SL is dying down on the roleplay aspect with the way things are picking up in RL with stuff. I didn't have the money to open this city up but I can afford the homestead because its within my budget of less than 30 bucks a month for a 1/4 parcel rented. But thank you for the advice :)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

If you can't advertise your roleplaying sim IN the roleplaying forum where can you? I have a roleplaying sim as well with some rentals that I would like to get information out there.

You could post in the events section about events on your RP region, or buy classifieds and whatnot from LL.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, xxVi3perxx said:

I've only had people most of them bots come for like 10 seconds and then leave but then I have had a few people who would look around and not even talk to me when I greet them even in private IMS like last night I had 2 people come in I was right there in plain sight and they both decided to ignore my greeting message and private IMS and just left.

Wow, that's weird, sorry to hear that. I always reply if I'm greeted while visiting a place, perhaps also compliment them on some aspect I like, in any case, the least thing I'll say is thank you if they already greet me.

Well, I suppose you're better off not having those people there, even if it means you're alone, better to be alone than in bad company ^__^

Edited by Meccha Suki
bad grammar and my Kittie smiley got swapped for a yellow one ^__^ trying if special wide mouth helps

On 5/12/2021 at 6:32 AM, xxVi3perxx said:

Not an advertisement

Recently I just opened up an .... RP

there are more RP regions/places than RP'ers .. everybody who likes RP opens a own place because not liking others, rules or color of the roofs... it's like clubs, all fishing in a small pond.. but there's only so much fish for a few.

Also a loving RP player, doesn't make a great sim/place holder, that needs other qualities.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

In terms of advertising in-world, in addition to ad boards at various locations and/or events, there is also the #WoRPG - World of Role Play Games.  They have a location with ad-boards from many different RP's, along with a wall of group joiners for various RP and RP related merchant groups.  They also send out a HUD monthly to subscribers/group members which provides folders of LM's to role play locations, grouped by GOR, Past, Present and Future RP categories.   There is a small fee for RP groups to be included.  I'm not affiliated with #WoRPG, other than subscribing to get the monthly groups of LM's that they send out.  More information, and how to participate as an RP location, can be found at their location: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Nova Island/128/67/3002  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2021 at 2:47 PM, MoiraKathleen said:

In terms of advertising in-world, in addition to ad boards at various locations and/or events, there is also the #WoRPG - World of Role Play Games.  They have a location with ad-boards from many different RP's, along with a wall of group joiners for various RP and RP related merchant groups.  They also send out a HUD monthly to subscribers/group members which provides folders of LM's to role play locations, grouped by GOR, Past, Present and Future RP categories.   There is a small fee for RP groups to be included.  I'm not affiliated with #WoRPG, other than subscribing to get the monthly groups of LM's that they send out.  More information, and how to participate as an RP location, can be found at their location: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Nova Island/128/67/3002  

I have tried that one before but the problem is each time lately I logged in I would get a bunch of notecards and such from WoRPG it was annoying to me where it lagged me out to where I crashed I had to to go on SL beta to block the notices. I have advertised in various groups and such on SL in order to promote but as I have said before the SL groups people are not interested in joining anything RP related just wanting a hookup that is all which is disappointing. 

On 5/12/2021 at 10:38 PM, xxVi3perxx said:

I have had a few people who would look around and not even talk to me when I greet them even in private IMS like last night I had 2 people come in I was right there in plain sight and they both decided to ignore my greeting message and private IMS and just left.

This happens, quite a few people in SL wander around just looking and don't want to interact, they're on a private journey and don't want to be interrupted. They might not even speak your language despite having a name that suggests they do. We tried everything we could think of on the three places I ran, we tried a meet-and-greet approach, sign boards with changing textures showing what was on offer, ready-made adventures, but it made little difference. On reflection, the people who came and ended up staying usually would have stayed there anyway even if we had made no attempts to greet or entice them in: usually the ones who stayed had come because somebody else who was there had suggested they take a look.

All I can suggest you do is to study the profiles of those who came and stayed for more than just the 20-second survey bot time, and try to work out from their picks and groups what they might be searching for, then alter what's near the arrival point to subtly emphasis what you have to offer.

You're up against the stone wall that all new RP venues find themselves behind, most RP-er looking around want to find existing scenarios they can join in with, they're not going to be the types who can start off from cold with nobody else around. Those ones are usually the ones trying to get the new RP-venue off the ground. But don't forget, all the existing well-frequented RP venues also started off from cold, so it must be possible to make it happen,

• Like 2

For me what puts me off whenever I have tried to rp at sims is that I never felt included/welcomed, I know that isn't up to others to do, you should usually try to include yourself, but as a shy person with social anxiety I find that really hard, so I wonder how many shy people or people who struggle with social anxiety there actually are in Secondlife and maybe that might be some of the reasons people don't tend to stick around or roleplay with someone, then there's also people who got really high expectations from other roleplayers and that kinda scares me away, because I know that I'm not the greatest at it and my English isn't perfect in anyway. And of course like someone mentioned earlier, there are more roleplay sims than roleplayers, and people got different tastes in what kind of roleplay they like, if there were fewer sims for each theme I think the sims would be more filled up with people, but now there's so many sims so people are scattered around.

However I do wish you luck with your sim! ☺️

• Like 1

Urban roleplay is like that it seems.  I’ll check it out if you are still open but I have seen many come and go.  The longest running Urban RP I know is Crack Den however

I have worked on some stuff to make it more popular including requesting for it to be put onto destinations part will see if it works if not I am keeping up the city since there is a lot to do and I am promoting it through several ad boards in other sims next month.

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Ginger Shamrock said:

I'd like to come check out your place, but have no idea how to find you.

Profile picks are a good place to check, especially if the person is wanting to get their 'RP sim out there'.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 9:56 PM, Littoralis said:

Yes. There are so many underutilized RP regions. Sanctuary,  New Babbage, and SSOC/Mopire are huge, multi-sim areas with very few visitors.

Cocoon, the cyberpunk sim, seems to be busy. See what they're doing right. "Come for the neon, stay for the intrigue" is their slogan.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 6:12 PM, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

This happens, quite a few people in SL wander around just looking and don't want to interact, they're on a private journey and don't want to be interrupted. They might not even speak your language despite having a name that suggests they do. We tried everything we could think of on the three places I ran, we tried a meet-and-greet approach, sign boards with changing textures showing what was on offer, ready-made adventures, but it made little difference. On reflection, the people who came and ended up staying usually would have stayed there anyway even if we had made no attempts to greet or entice them in: usually the ones who stayed had come because somebody else who was there had suggested they take a look.

All I can suggest you do is to study the profiles of those who came and stayed for more than just the 20-second survey bot time, and try to work out from their picks and groups what they might be searching for, then alter what's near the arrival point to subtly emphasis what you have to offer.

You're up against the stone wall that all new RP venues find themselves behind, most RP-er looking around want to find existing scenarios they can join in with, they're not going to be the types who can start off from cold with nobody else around. Those ones are usually the ones trying to get the new RP-venue off the ground. But don't forget, all the existing well-frequented RP venues also started off from cold, so it must be possible to make it happen,

I don't have a role play sim as such (although people can RP on these sims if they like), but I do have themed sims or sims with quests or hunts or hangouts.

And I often see people land, and if I happen to be near the landing, they skedaddle out of there.

And so sometimes as I see people landing and rezzing, I myself make haste to leave.

Why? Because I think people don't like all the greeting and forced notecarding and such (I don't have any of that) and they dread having to be pressured by some venue owner.

It's like a store, when you go to look at clothes, and the clerk hovers nearby and keeps asking you if you like something or if you want to try something else, and just get in your face and bother you. A lot of people like to look at the clothes in peace, and only when they are ready, approach a clerk who is a respectful distance away.

I myself am a solitary explorer and don't like places that sling me all kinds of junk, ask me if they can take my profile (no, go away) blah blah. If a bot or live person also gets into the act and starts chattering, I leave. I'm capable of clicking on a notecard giver myself without having it in my face or having some fake chat.

I'm aware that some other RP sims have folded recently and I think there are reasons for this, partly as people come out of COVID lockdown and leave SL, partly the usual SL summer slump, and partly just an awful spate of people just behaving badly on the forums and inworld because they are just too tightly wound with COVID and everything else.

I see the successful RP groups show up at events like Fantasy Faire or Raglan Shire and participate or offer to help, Relay for Life is another outlet for many, many kinds of groups, and some of the happiest and most long-living RP groups are those that also have a very strong RFL team they turn out for RFL. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I don't have a role play sim as such (although people can RP on these sims if they like), but I do have themed sims or sims with quests or hunts or hangouts.

And I often see people land, and if I happen to be near the landing, they skedaddle out of there.

And so sometimes as I see people landing and rezzing, I myself make haste to leave.

Why? Because I think people don't like all the greeting and forced notecarding and such (I don't have any of that) and they dread having to be pressured by some venue owner.

It's like a store, when you go to look at clothes, and the clerk hovers nearby and keeps asking you if you like something or if you want to try something else, and just get in your face and bother you. A lot of people like to look at the clothes in peace, and only when they are ready, approach a clerk who is a respectful distance away.

I myself am a solitary explorer and don't like places that sling me all kinds of junk, ask me if they can take my profile (no, go away) blah blah. If a bot or live person also gets into the act and starts chattering, I leave. I'm capable of clicking on a notecard giver myself without having it in my face or having some fake chat.

I'm aware that some other RP sims have folded recently and I think there are reasons for this, partly as people come out of COVID lockdown and leave SL, partly the usual SL summer slump, and partly just an awful spate of people just behaving badly on the forums and inworld because they are just too tightly wound with COVID and everything else.

I see the successful RP groups show up at events like Fantasy Faire or Raglan Shire and participate or offer to help, Relay for Life is another outlet for many, many kinds of groups, and some of the happiest and most long-living RP groups are those that also have a very strong RFL team they turn out for RFL. 

I usually just IM them somethin along the lines of 'buttbums quit ya lurkin and come over here till ur captain gets a good lookin at you'.

Works for me

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 104 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.