Discussion: Use Cases for llOpenFloater()

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Quistessa said:

Maybe I'm too naive, but couldn't the viewer be configured to 'load' llLoadURL links in the in-viewer browser instead of the system one? having the option to either see web links in-viewer or off-viewer could be the best of both worlds.

I would rather see the built in browser functionality ripped out entirely.

If we must retain MOAP (etc), it needs to be with very limited functionality.

Putting CEF in the viewer is like installing a portal to the nightmare realm under the bed, and figuring it's fine because no one on the other side has found it yet. I'm sure it will be fine .. probably for years and years .. what could go wrong .. nothing .. nothing at all ..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I would rather see the built in browser functionality ripped out entirely.

If we must retain MOAP (etc), it needs to be with very limited functionality.

Putting CEF in the viewer is like installing a portal to the nightmare realm under the bed, and figuring it's fine because no one on the other side has found it yet. I'm sure it will be fine .. probably for years and years .. what could go wrong .. nothing .. nothing at all ..

That's a problem llOpenFloat / llHud might address, or exemplify, depending on design. As it stands, MoaP isn't a viable modern script UI, and apparently there are no others on offer. 

Avatar artists have long gotten a lot of attention. Script UI designers, not so much, starting from the ontology of twelve brief text-labeled buttons. Where's the Bento of script UI? The BOM? The EEP?

The drag-and-drop?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

The drag-and-drop?

Off-topic, but there are actually a few nice drag and drops in SL, you can drag from your inventory into anywhere you could possibly (as far as I'm aware) want to put that inventory: into a prim, onto a prim( having both is kindof awful from a UX perspective. . .), into someone else's IM, or even into a notecard.

We do desperately need a sane HUD api though. My pipe-dream would be some sort of qt dialog box that supports all the common widgets https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphical_control_element

• Like 1

Why isn't this places thing a bigger deal? It's very helpful and a great way to tell people about your land/store/etc. I really like it, honestly it's one of the nicer things I've seen with LL website based stuff.

On topic, there are some good use cases for this. My in world store and SLMP demo rezzing depends on opening up a web page. It would be amazing to be able to automatically open up that page, or something other than a dialog box requesting to open the page in a browser. But I understand a lot of concerns in this thread. In fact I think the dialog isn't that good for my situation already because it has been abused. I open up a dialog to request to open a web page because it's essential functionality for my store. But most people use dialogs to spam people when they enter their land to join groups and all sorts of stuff.  It's pretty obvious to me, in my position, that opening up a web page would be the same idea. And of course if it's any web page malicious people will be storing IPs, it would be trivial to have a script open up a URL with the AV's name and key as URL parameters then have the server get the IP address. LL would have to run their browser through a proxy server kind of like cloudflare does to hide the IP of the user.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.