You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

HELLO I AM A PHOTOGRAPH AND I TAKE MANY PHOTOS OF PLACES AND PEOPLE AT SECOND LIFE. MY WIFE, AND I ARE PHOTOGRAPHERS AND SHARE AN INTERNET BLOG WHERE WE POST OUR EXPERIENCES AS A DIARY. THE PROBLEM IS THAT AS WE DO NOT ALWAYS HAVE SIMULTANEOUS TIME TO LOG IN, (SHE IS YOUTUBER AND I AM A PUBLIC SERVER) SOMETIMES SHE LOG IN TO MY ACCOUNT TO DO SOME PHOTO, OR I LOG IN TO HER ACCOUNT TO MAKE ANY PHOTO OR CAPTURE FOR VIDEO ( MACHINIMA). RECENTLY WE HAD A PROBLEM, PQ I LOGGED IN MY ACCOUNT SHE IN HER AND IN ANOTHER ACCOUNT TO MAKE A MOTHER'S DAY PHOTO, THIS PHOTO IN THE CASE, AND MY ACCOUNT WAS LOCKED, BECAUSE I "WOULD HAVE SENT LOANED AND SHARED MY ACCOUNT" WITH HER. HOW DO WE DO IT? SINCE WE DON'T ALWAYS FIND PEOPLE WILLING TO TAKE PHOTOS OR PARTICIPATE IN THESE ACTIVITIES?web_60944702c90bb53b95ffe2df.jpg

16 minutes ago, kilianjones said:

SOMETIMES SHE LOG IN TO MY ACCOUNT TO DO SOME PHOTO, OR I LOG IN TO HER ACCOUNT

Yep - that is against the TOS.

19 minutes ago, kilianjones said:

HOW DO WE DO IT? SINCE WE DON'T ALWAYS FIND PEOPLE WILLING TO TAKE PHOTOS OR PARTICIPATE IN THESE ACTIVITIES?

You can make multiple accounts for yourself and log those in for your photos.  

• Like 6

and how do I access both accounts? can be using my computer? or would you have to use another computer? my question is how to access the account. since LL don't know if it allows that to happen. some people told me that you cannot access two accounts simultaneously. this can cause loss of account cancellation.

13 minutes ago, kilianjones said:

and how do I access both accounts? can be using my computer? or would you have to use another computer? my question is how to access the account. since LL don't know if it allows that to happen. some people told me that you cannot access two accounts simultaneously. this can cause loss of account cancellation.

You can start the viewer twice on your computer.  Log in on one viewer with one account and log in on the other viewer with the other account.  You may need to set the graphics settings super low for the account that will not be taking the picture.

Just make sure that YOU are the owner of the two accounts.  Do not log in to another person's account.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minuto atrás, LittleMe Jewell disse:

Você pode iniciar o visualizador duas vezes no computador. Faça login em um visualizador com uma conta e faça login no outro visualizador com a outra conta. Pode ser necessário definir a configuração de gráficos muito baixa para a conta que não tirará a foto.

Apenas certifique-se de que VOCÊ é o proprietário das duas contas. Não faça login na conta de outra pessoa.

and how do i create an alt account? identify the account as alt? is it something in creating the account? or does the simple fact that I log in to both simultaneous make them already alt?

Go to secondlife.com -- log out if you are logged in - and then click on Sign Up.  Go thru the process just like you did for your current account. 

While we refer to the extra account as an alt, LL doesn't make that distinction.  They are just "accounts".  

• Like 3

You can have as many of your own accounts logged in at the same time if your computer is up to the task.  I was just at a club where someone had 5 of their accounts logged in, standing around together.  Not sure why though.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You can start the viewer twice on your computer.  Log in on one viewer with one account and log in on the other viewer with the other account.  You may need to set the graphics settings super low for the account that will not be taking the picture.

In addition: If you use the official LL browser, you first have to change the settings of the browser first:
Me>preferences>advanced.
There you check the box before Allow multiple browsers.

Than you can open more than one browser at the time.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

It is easier to log in with two accounts if all you are doing in taking a picture, one account just has to sit on the poseball and can have the settings low, The other actually taking the picture would have higher settings and would adjust the camera location.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kilianjones said:

IN THE CASE, AND MY ACCOUNT WAS LOCKED, BECAUSE I "WOULD HAVE SENT LOANED AND SHARED MY ACCOUNT" WITH HER.

Who exactly locked your account?

There was a long discussion about logging into a TRUSTED FRIEND'S account a few months ago.  The SL TOS is ambiguous about this, warning that you are responsible for who has access to your account in a later SL discussion, and they are not responsible if you do so.  Not going to go there again - just that MANY do allow a trusted partner access to their account in reality in SL.  Just don't ask SL or brag about it.  And of course there will be zero support for that in this forum for the usual reasons...

Alts are fine, it you have the resources in your alt accounts to create a photo - eg the avatar skins, shapes, and clothes.  

• Like 1

Why do you need to log on with multiple accounts from one computer? If you have multiple accounts, and more than one computer, why can't you use different computers for different accounts? In the case of the couple in the OP, why can't he used the computer his wife uses to log in with his alt when she is not home?

• Like 1

My laptop can handle five viewers at a push, for photography, but I rarely do that. What to wear for a start takes forever. And it gets hot, but I use a cooler tray which helps.

Multiple logs I keep to a minimum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ayeleeon said:

Why do you need to log on with multiple accounts from one computer? If you have multiple accounts, and more than one computer, why can't you use different computers for different accounts? In the case of the couple in the OP, why can't he used the computer his wife uses to log in with his alt when she is not home?

The OP didn't say it was his RL wife.  

• Like 1

It is not against the ToS to allow someone else to use an account but keep in mind that LL will hold the account owner responsible and liable for anything someone else does on your account including banning ALL of your accounts.

Section 4.1
You may not sell, transfer or assign your Account or its contractual rights, licenses and obligations, to any third party (including, for the avoidance of doubt, permitting another individual to access your Account) without the prior written consent of Linden Lab.

Section 4.2
You are solely responsible for all activities conducted through your Account whether or not you authorize the activity (except to the extent that activities occur because someone gains access to
our system without using your identifiers and password).

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Permitting_Others_to_Access_or_Transferring_Second_Life_Accounts#:~:text=Terms of Service%3A-,You may not sell%2C transfer or assign your Account or,written consent of Linden Lab.

4.2 You agree to use an Account Name for each Product that is not misleading, offensive or infringing. You are responsible for activities related to your Account Name, and for keeping your password for your Account(s) secure.

You must choose an Account Name for your Account which may also serve as the name for your graphical representation within each Product (your "Avatar"). You may not select as your Account Name any name that Linden Lab determines may cause deception or confusion; may violate any trademark right, copyright, or other proprietary right or mislead other users regarding your identity or affiliation; or any name that Linden Lab determines in its sole discretion to be vulgar, offensive, or otherwise inappropriate. Linden Lab reserves the right to delete or change any Account Name that violates this paragraph, and will have no liability regarding the use, modification, or deletion of any Account Name.

You are solely responsible for all activities conducted through your Account whether or not you authorize the activity (except to the extent that activities occur because someone gains access to our system without using your identifiers and password). In the event that fraud, illegality or other conduct that violates this Agreement is discovered or reported (whether by you or someone else) that is connected with your Account, we may terminate your Account (or Accounts) as described in Section 5.

You are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and for restricting access to your Internet Device. You are solely responsible for any harm resulting from your disclosure, or authorization of the disclosure, of your password or from any person's use of your password to gain access to your Account or Account Name. You will immediately notify us of any unauthorized use of your Account, password or username, or any other breach of security related to the Service. At no time should you respond to an online request for a password other than in connection with the log-on process to the Service. Your disclosure of your password to any other person is at your own risk. If you lose access to your Account for any reason, Linden Lab may, but is not required to, attempt to restore access to your Account by verifying your Registration Data. In the event that you are unable to provide the Registration Data, Linden Lab reserves the right to suspend your Account(s).

We will not be liable for any loss or damage (of any kind and under any legal theory) to you or any third party arising from your inability or failure for any reason to comply with any of the foregoing obligations.

https://www.lindenlab.com/tos

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

The OP didn't say it was his RL wife.  

True, but still I see no reason why someone should have to use one computer if they have more than one available to them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

True, but still I see no reason why someone should have to use one computer if they have more than one available to them.

I didn't say you couldn't.  I was only speaking to your remark about his wife's computer.

2 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

It is not against the ToS to allow someone else to use an account but keep in mind that LL will hold the account owner responsible and liable for anything someone else does on your account including banning ALL of your accounts.

Section 4.1
You may not sell, transfer or assign your Account or its contractual rights, licenses and obligations, to any third party (including, for the avoidance of doubt, permitting another individual to access your Account) without the prior written consent of Linden Lab.

Highlighting the applicable part of that section:

image.png.ce2e91caf7f7cb09c42b0d180d40d186.png

Per Dakota, on another thread (the bolding is mine):

Giving others, including people you might trust to be a Store Manager, access to your Second Life account is a huge security and privacy risk and is also a violation of the Terms of Service. 

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/436406-store-managers-is-live/?tab=comments#comment-1996110

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Highlighting the applicable part of that section:

image.png.ce2e91caf7f7cb09c42b0d180d40d186.png

Per Dakota, on another thread (the bolding is mine):

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/436406-store-managers-is-live/?tab=comments#comment-1996110

It's right there in the quotes I posted under Section 4.1. 

It also says "for the avoidance of doubt" which does not translate as "no you may not under any circumstances". It refers to the transfer of an account not the use of.

I think @Innula Zenovka has some expertise in translating "legalese".  I'd like to hear her translation if she doesn't mind.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

Well I know a few landlord related accounts that are on duty 24/7, that is only possible when more than one person is at the helmet of those accounts.
So it seems all relative to me. 

And why not if it are strictly business accounts and the said businesses take full responsibility for that.

On the other hand I can totally understand why LL isn't happy when more ordinary residents do the same.
It only brings drama and extra work when 'partners' start doing it. We all know how quickly most partnerships can be down the drain in SL.

Edited by Sid Nagy

6 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

It also says "for the avoidance of doubt" which does not translate as "no you may not under any circumstances". It refers to the transfer of an account not the use of.

I think @Innula Zenovka has some expertise in translating "legalese".  I'd like to hear her translation if she doesn't mind.

I take the "for the avoidance of doubt" to mean --- in order to avoid doubt, we are putting this  "including permitting another individual to access your account" statement here.  Dakota's comment about it being against the TOS seems to support my interpretation of that clause.

In truth, nobody's interpretation matters except for LL's legal team and any court if the matter gets taken to court.

36 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Since part of the ToS is that they're subject to the jurisdiction of the State of California, you'd need to ask someone who knows about CA law to interpret them for you, *if you ever intend to take LL to court over anything* (which hardly ever happens).

My take on "for the avoidance of doubt" in this context is that that, in effect, it means "this is what we say the ToS have always meant, and we're just clarifying things, so don't take this as an admission that before now it was ever OK to share your password."

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.