need help with gimp

JaclynFashion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1080 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, JaclynFashion said:

I don't what to paint over everything. 

You wanted to get rid of those black lines, right?

So, lock the image transparency so that the shapes stay correct, use a color picker to pick the red color (since that seems to be the only other color that exists in the image), then use a large brush to paint over the entire image to cover the black lines. You will be left with the same image, but without the black lines.

• Like 2

Try this:

Use the selection tool : select by colour, and click into the white area.

Copy this and paste into a new image. It will give you an outline mask.

Use that and fill the transparent areas with the colour of your choice, then erase or recolour the white surround.

Or use the outline mask and invert it to layer over a swathe of colour of your choice.

Or, even simpler. (Just read Wulfie's response)

Use the select by colour tool, click into a black line, then with the colour picker as Wulfie has described, recolour the selected areas.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

then use a large brush to paint over the entire image

This. Make a huge brush -- like 300 pixels.

Instead of locking alpha, you can select the clear background, then invert selection. Now you can do either the Big Brush method or Fill Selected Area.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JaclynFashion said:

trying to remove the lines in the dev kit mapping, in gimp. 

1: Open the image in Gimp.

2: Convert to a black and white image:   Colors > Desaturate > Color to Gray..

A-min.thumb.png.00caa699dc2c7eb9ded83c60f7685226.png

B-min.thumb.png.fb30a1c8995150be06bf1abf55648b90.png

3: Convert the white to Alpha:  Colors > Color to Alpha...

B2-min.thumb.png.bcac1fadd1edb872105670605c81f050.png

The default color to convert to Alpha is white, so no need to change the default values :

C-min.thumb.png.a86d16f41a8e218505e8b2ff3a6b32e4.png

We now have what looks like a typical UV map. This is usually used as a transparent guide placed above the painting layer when creating the texture.  So we now need to add a new layer(s) to do the painting on.

4: Click on the little "Create new layers icon" . The default values should be OK. ( Fill with:   option set to  Transparency ) .

D-min.thumb.png.bd65f7a7592b578cd9c0510561ca7e22.png

5: Rename the original layer to UV's and move to the top of the stack in the layers panel.

E-min.thumb.png.febc4261d435812926898d83ce7bb31e.png

Select the layer(s) below the UV's layer when painting.

Notes :

When finished painting hide the UV's layer by unchecking the little eye icon to the left of the UV's layer.

Unless you need an alpha channel in your finished texture, before exporting remove the Alpha channel       Layer > Transparency > Remove Alpha Channel.

Edited by Aquila Kytori
  • Like 1

Maybe I misunderstand the question.  I think I read that the desired outcome is somewhat "solid red" images only (rather than the black lines)?

Some stellar ideas above, which came to me first.  Lots of options.  But some a little more time intensive than others.  

If I ever find myself getting great advice and just entrenched in that "oh no, wayyyy to complex! dont wanna!" thinking,  there is always the manual way that is neither fast, nor glam, nor really impressive.

* Add a new "transparent" layer over the one you have and keep it "selected"/draw on this one next 

> ++zoom in if you have to over your image because you need to see the edges pretty well to do next step

> use Free Select tool (lasso) and draw around the outside edge of each image until you meet the point where you started

> change to the Bucket Fill tool, make sure Foreground (FG) color fill, and Fill whole selection are yes-checked, mouseover the two "color" boxes to be certain you know what color this tool will fill within the area you just "lassoed", and click inside your lasso zone.  ++

= see, that inside that area you lassoed, is not that foreground color, painted on your "transparent" new layer.  

> Repeat between the ++ above, until all zones are now filled with your FG color.

> turn OFF your original layer with the lines.  

= You have your one color bits all on a layer with transparent background.

Yah its gonna take loads more time (to me) than all above suggestions.  It isn't a glamorous impressive way to get it done.  But if one is a little thrown by other suggestions and still in the intimidation zone (like I was for years), doing it the long way will be a good learning experience.  

Painful learning experiences spent while avoiding that which seems too complex, have always been wonderful motivators for me to quit avoiding and actually put the time into searching Google and reading the Gimp manual.  Truly if I had know I would still be in SL in 2021, I would have acted on learning Gimp years before I did.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, arton Rotaru said:
12 hours ago, JaclynFashion said:

i know how to remove the background but the lines on the map is there still. but thanks anywas:(

Which lines do you mean then, when It's not the mesh UV lines?

In response to Arton's question you posted a second image this time just showing the UV lines and no colour fill. So my next guess is ...............................the layer eye icon ? 

2147410120_hidelayericon.gif.3af916fa692bd8e1aaa9171661181142.gif

Through a process of elimination we will eventually get to the correct answer.  🙃

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1080 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.