Jump to content

Where to find hotspots for black people?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 179 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I appreciate your opinion however, let's agree to disagree. I think she was being racist and you don't. Neither one of us is going to change each other's opinion. AND on that note that is all I will say about it.

And for me that is the real tragedy of these conversations. People get so wedded to their opinions they can no longer perceive what is inarguably objectively by-dictionary-definition true.

I can be of the opinion that the moon is a giant ancient space ship that mind-controls the entire human race. Or that Bill Gates is microchipping us through vaccines (I wonder if he put one in Melinda too?). Or any number of crazy things.

But unless I can offer some proof that is grounded in objective reality, most people will probably (rightly) tell me that I'm a moron. 

Edited by AnnabelleApocalypse
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, AnnabelleApocalypse said:

And for me that is the real tragedy of these conversations. People get so wedded to their opinions they can no longer perceive what is inarguably objectively by-dictionary-definition true.

I can be of the opinion that the moon is a giant ancient space ship that mind-controls the entire human race. Or that Bill Gates is microchipping us through vaccines (I wonder if he put one in Melinda too?). Or any number of crazy things.

But unless I can offer some proof that is grounded in objective reality, most people will probably (rightly) tell me that I'm a moron. 

I still say the moon is made of cheese!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like most people, the OP just wants to meet people she'd have more in common with, but because of the wording it could come off differently to some. Black and white are colors, and for me I've been taught to not judge people by the color of their skin. But if it's cultural background, like hey I'm African American, anyone share the same background instead of the whole I'm looking for black people. Or hey I'm looking for Irish people like myself, comes off differently than I'm looking for white people. And same for those looking for Asian friends.. like, what kind of Asian is fairly important especially for language barriers. The idea of wanting to hang out with people based on the color of their skin.. I mean I get it but not everyone's going to love it.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AdminGirl said:

Like most people, the OP just wants to meet people she'd have more in common with, but because of the wording it could come off differently to some. Black and white are colors, and for me I've been taught to not judge people by the color of their skin. But if it's cultural background, like hey I'm African American, anyone share the same background instead of the whole I'm looking for black people. Or hey I'm looking for Irish people like myself, comes off differently than I'm looking for white people. And same for those looking for Asian friends.. like, what kind of Asian is fairly important especially for language barriers. The idea of wanting to hang out with people based on the color of their skin.. I mean I get it but not everyone's going to love it.

We'll refer to ourselves as African-American to avoid the black and white issue.  Even  though a good majority prefer black, we can adjust to make people feel better.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

We'll refer to ourselves as African-American to avoid the black and white issue.  Even  though a good majority prefer black, we can adjust to make people feel better.

 

eyeroll in spanish.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Just like hand gestures mean different things in different languages, and some head gestures..eye roll could too!!

eye-rolling was used commonly as an expression of desire or flirtation. 😅🙄

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

We'll refer to ourselves as African-American to avoid the black and white issue.  Even  though a good majority prefer black, we can adjust to make people feel better.

 

8 hours ago, AdminGirl said:

Like most people, the OP just wants to meet people she'd have more in common with, but because of the wording it could come off differently to some.

I did say some people, so yes while I agree with you that most can appreciate and understand what is meant by the reference, that's my read on why posts like these tend to get debatey.

People can use whatever term they want, but at least be aware it's not going to be received well by everyone.

Personally, I cater my wording when I post on forums and it's not to make anyone feel better but because I know it is going to be read by a bunch of strangers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, AnnabelleApocalypse said:

And for me that is the real tragedy of these conversations. People get so wedded to their opinions they can no longer perceive what is inarguably objectively by-dictionary-definition true.

I can be of the opinion that the moon is a giant ancient space ship that mind-controls the entire human race. Or that Bill Gates is microchipping us through vaccines (I wonder if he put one in Melinda too?). Or any number of crazy things.

But unless I can offer some proof that is grounded in objective reality, most people will probably (rightly) tell me that I'm a moron. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, debbie Ziplon said:

there is nothing wrong with that question

, only jerks bring race into everything , are you white???

Who are you asking..because you might be very surprised by my answer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/14/2021 at 11:49 PM, Caroline Takeda said:

Know the saying "never judge a book by his cover"?

that is a cultural conditioning response. The people we see are not books they are people

a black person is black. A white person is white.  A brown person is brown. And so on

a often response from those who don't want to acknowledge a difference which is staring them in the face is to say "I don't see colour, I treat everybody the same, as we are all people"

this is very comfortable position to take. Like as I don't see/acknowledge the difference between me and the other person then I  can relate to them from the comfort of my own cultural perspective. I don't have to see or acknowledge their cultural perspective, because according to my cultural perspective we should all be the same sharing the same cultural perspective, namely mine. This way of thinking is predominant in mono-cultural societies

when we see and acknowledge the differences, and we look at ourselves and others thru the other person's eyes and note the differences from their perspective, then this way of thinking is predominantly found in multi-cultural societies

i live in a multi-cultural city society.  I am maori person. When I stand on my back porch, to my left is a pakeha guy sharing with a muslim couple who escaped the first Iraq-Iran war as refugees. Next to them is a recent English migrant family. Behind me is 3 young people from India doing their doctorates at the university - the house owned by a migrant family from China. On the right side is a row of 4 houses. Maori couple with kids, then retired Scots lady who migrated here as a child after WWII, then next house a elderly Samoan couple, and last home a couple with 2 kids, one parent pakeha and the other whose parents came from the Philippines

none of us see each other as the same. And we don't care that we aren't the same. We know that we are all different from each other and we just get along with each other as neighbours. While also knowing that we are subject to the laws of one country legislated by a democratically-elected parliament. The fact is even tho we are legislatively/governably treated the same, this can no more make me a pakeha than it can make me samoan or scots or white or black

and sometimes I just wan to hang out with maori people like me. So I do. And sometimes my muslim neighbours have muslim people around their house, some of the women wear head scarves. And sometimes my Indian neighbours throw a party and play indian music and lots of indian people come. And sometimes there are all these samoan people visting my samoan neighbours house. And sometimes my English migrant neighbours converse with each other in their garden in their native tongue

and if it was suggested to me and my neighbours that we are all a bunch of racists for doing this then we would look at each other and go: what ?!

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/14/2021 at 4:37 PM, Rowan Amore said:

 

As far as racism comments, please check your definition.

a belief that race is a fundamental determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Nope.

That is a very outdated definition. Mmodern science has proven, that human races do not even exist. Maybe this knowledge did not cross the Atlantic Ocean yet. I wouldn't be surprised.

Here is how we define racism today:

Racism, also called racialism, the belief that humans may be divided into separate and exclusive biological entities called “races”; that there is a causal link between inherited physical traits and traits of personality, intellect, morality, and other cultural and behavioral features; and that some races are innately superior to others. 

Source: Merriam-Webster on Britannica Encyclopedia

You can be a racist without discriminating anyone. You might not even be aware of your racist mindset. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mollymews said:

that is a cultural conditioning response. The people we see are not books they are people

a black person is black. A white person is white.  A brown person is brown. And so on

a often response from those who don't want to acknowledge a difference which is staring them in the face is to say "I don't see colour, I treat everybody the same, as we are all people"

this is very comfortable position to take. Like as I don't see/acknowledge the difference between me and the other person then I  can relate to them from the comfort of my own cultural perspective. I don't have to see or acknowledge their cultural perspective, because according to my cultural perspective we should all be the same sharing the same cultural perspective, namely mine. This way of thinking is predominant in mono-cultural societies

when we see and acknowledge the differences, and we look at ourselves and others thru the other person's eyes and note the differences from their perspective, then this way of thinking is predominantly found in multi-cultural societies

i live in a multi-cultural city society.  I am maori person. When I stand on my back porch, to my left is a pakeha guy sharing with a muslim couple who escaped the first Iraq-Iran war as refugees. Next to them is a recent English migrant family. Behind me is 3 young people from India doing their doctorates at the university - the house owned by a migrant family from China. On the right side is a row of 4 houses. Maori couple with kids, then retired Scots lady who migrated here as a child after WWII, then next house a elderly Samoan couple, and last home a couple with 2 kids, one parent pakeha and the other whose parents came from the Philippines

none of us see each other as the same. And we don't care that we aren't the same. We know that we are all different from each other and we just get along with each other as neighbours. While also knowing that we are subject to the laws of one country legislated by a democratically-elected parliament. The fact is even tho we are legislatively/governably treated the same, this can no more make me a pakeha than it can make me samoan or scots or white or black

and sometimes I just wan to hang out with maori people like me. So I do. And sometimes my muslim neighbours have muslim people around their house, some of the women wear head scarves. And sometimes my Indian neighbours throw a party and play indian music and lots of indian people come. And sometimes there are all these samoan people visting my samoan neighbours house. And sometimes my English migrant neighbours converse with each other in their garden in their native tongue

and if it was suggested to me and my neighbours that we are all a bunch of racists for doing this then we would look at each other and go: what ?!

 

Molly

You are mixing two different things here.

Of course there are cultural differences between people and there is nothing wrong with that. I live in a city (Berlin) which hosts people from more than 100 different countries. This is actually an enrichment. This multi-culti society is what makes Berlin a very special place to be.

Racism is not based on cultural differences, its based on the believe that humans are devided in different BIOLOGICAL entities with different abilities. 

And no, a black person does not always have the same cultural background as another black person. A black Manhattan stock broker has not much in common with a black Nigerian muslim. The only thing they share is the colour of their skin.

 

Edited by Caroline Takeda
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Caroline Takeda said:

Nope.

That is a very outdated definition. Mmodern science has proven, that human races do not even exist. Maybe this knowledge did not cross the Atlantic Ocean yet. I wouldn't be surprised.

Here is how we define racism today:
 

; that there is a causal link between inherited physical traits and traits of personality, intellect, morality, and other cultural and behavioral features; and that some races are innately superior to others

Source: Merriam-Webster on Britannica Encyclopedia

You can be a racist without discriminating anyone. You might not even be aware of your racist mindset. 

Your definition says the same basic thing just with more words so nope

 

link between inherited physical traits and traits of personality, intellect, morality, and other cultural and behavioral features; and that some races are innately superior to others

 

 

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/9/2021 at 7:26 PM, Maddiiieee said:

I've seen many of these forums that have a full debate about racial issues on SL, but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm a black, bi-sexual woman, and I'm honestly in such of areas that I can hang so that I'm able to meet new people. I don't have an issue with other races it's just that for me personally I'd prefer to spend my time in area where there's more people like me. I joined SL a year ago, though I've never really gotten into until this year. I strongly desire an area for me to make friends and such but it's hard to do that as a new come. No my avatar does not look the bomb.com but I'd still like to meet people and make friends. I've searched via YouTube as well as other forums to find hotspots, I've even asked the question in a few discords however I always come up short because the discussion always turns racial. I just want a place to hang, and meet new people. So if someone could provide landmarks for me that'd be great. You can IM @Maddiiieee in world for you'd like to be friends. 

If you haven't already, you could try doing a few different searches in the groups part of the SL search.. There are a few in there..

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/9/2021 at 8:26 PM, Maddiiieee said:

You can IM @Maddiiieee in world for you'd like to be friends. 

Ima skip the thread debate nonsense and get straight to the point mate. lol A lot of places in world is word of mouth these days last time I checked. I haven't been on the scene in a while myself personally so I'll ask around and try and put you in touch with some people if I can. Also I really wouldn't worry about that whole people playing other races thing either. I personally know a lot of people on here who play the race of the culture they are part of and base their avatars to closer symbolize that. Which at the end of the day is what you really want to connect with. I'll contact you in world when I get a chance. If you need to leave me an offline or PM me do it on the forums though. I have half of SL in my inventory and I don't get my offlines as much now days. Talk soon. Enjoy your day.😎

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Your definition says the same basic thing just with more words so nope

link between inherited physical traits and traits of personality, intellect, morality, and other cultural and behavioral features; and that some races are innately superior to others

 

You din't get my point yet.
,"the belief that humans may be divided into separate and exclusive biological entities"

To "sort" or divide people into "races" and to give them attributes based on their assumed race is already racism, even without claiming superiority or without discrimination.

Human races do not exist!

For a variation of a species to count as race, the difference in the DNA needs to be 30% or more. The maximum difference between one human and another is 5%.

Our common genetic disposition is almost the same. Differences between come from exposition (culture, religion, education etc.) not from disposition.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

22 hours ago, Caroline Takeda said:

Racism is not based on cultural differences, its based on the believe that humans are devided in different BIOLOGICAL entities with different abilities. 

And no, a black person does not always have the same cultural background as another black person. A black Manhattan stock broker has not much in common with a black Nigerian muslim. The only thing they share is the colour of their skin.

 

 

38 minutes ago, Caroline Takeda said:

To "sort" or divide people into "races" and to give them attributes based on their assumed race is already racism, even without claiming superiority or without discrimination.

Human races do not exist!

For a variation of a species to count as race, the difference in the DNA needs to be 30% or more. The maximum difference between one human and another is 5%.

Our common genetic disposition is almost the same. Differences between come from exposition (culture, religion, education etc.) not from disposition.

racism is not a scientific measure. Humans and chimpanzees have more than 98% of their DNA in common.  The DNA differences between humans is less than 0.1%. When we consider percentages like 5 and 30 then we are talking about differences in whole species 

seeing and acknowledging that there are biological differences between humans, same as biological differences between humans and chimpanzees, is an observation of fact

the common dictionary meaning of racism is: "The belief that different races possess distinct characteristics, abilities, or qualities, especially so as to distinguish them as inferior or superior to one another."

is the last bit that matters: ".. especially so as to distinguish them as inferior or superior to one another."

racism is a belief. Beliefs are cultural

we can't discuss racism without discussing superior/inferior, as without this then the dictionary meaning of racism is moot

 

intersectional ids and isms (race/ethnicity/gender/age/politics/religion/culture/etc) that go wrong in a person (and a whole society sometimes) fundamentally comes down to a feeling of superiority. Whether that superiority is true in practice or not, doesn't alter how that person(s) feels

when this person is successful in their life (successful by their own superiority measure) then it reinforces their feeling of superiority in a system that enables this. The person works/endeavours/donates to maintain the legal/governing system that continues advantaging/delivering to them that feeling of superiority

when the person is not successful then the feeling of superiority can be reinforced by bitterness and resentment. Resentful that the system is not delivering for them, even tho the system does confer actual significant advantages to them. So if I am not successful in this advantageous system then it must be the fault of the Others, those I feel are inferior to me. Resentful of Inferiors who are successful (gaining the rewards of the success that should be mine) despite them not having the systemic advantages that I have. The bitter thought that they must have cheated or something. And the Others who are not successful continue to reinforce my feeling of superiority over them

the insidious bit about all this is that this feeling about the Others is encouraged by the successful superior feelers. Us superior feeling people need to stick together, nevermind that you have not gained the rewards of our superior feeling system that I have gained  

and this is really difficult to break/turn away from - superior/inferior is raw emotion. Emotion nurtured by belief propaganda. Propaganda is a powerful device and is the preferred weapon of the successful (by their own measure) superior feelers. The superior feelers when this weapon is not working for them as well as they would like, will resort to systemised violence. Systemised (systemic) violence is legislative suppression of constitutional and democratic rights, supported by State actors legally authorised to act suppressively

the propaganda kicks in again here. This one is: "As a society we must have respect for law and order. We are a nation of laws, we are not a nation of men. Without respect for the law then we will perish as a society." This is zenith propaganda. The two thoughts here are conflated, the second thought is presented as being logically predicated on the first. The conflation of the two in this way, is not true even when it seems to sound true

and when we buy into this conflation then by legal artifices, many if not most of us end up as serfs in a superior/inferior feeling system. Very respectful law-abiding serfs, governed by a set of laws that keep large populations of people within our society in inferior positions

and some of the inferior placed people like it. We like knowing our place. When the call comes from those we feel are our superiors then we raise our voices in concert with them. And when the superior feeler call to legalised violence comes we willingly raise our billy clubs and beat the chit of those who we feel are inferior to us (inferior people disrespectful of the laws written to keep them in their place). We inflict violence on them to maintain the superior-feeling law and order system in which we (the billy club wielder) know our own place. And if the disrespectful inferiors fight back then we will beat them even more, murder some, and chuck the rest in jail

there are two ways that this goes: the first is where we all dig in, the violence escalates, attitudes harden even more, more legal suppressive measures are enacted, the violence continues to escalate and eventually ends up in civil war

the second is that we constantly strive as a nation of people (individually and together) to maintain our constitutional and democratic societal traditions. Traditions encoded into institutions like the congress/parliament from which all society's laws and government flow

this is not easy either. That feeling of superior/inferior is constantly with us. And we have to try and do our best to not let it overrun our society so that it becomes a norm. Because when it does then we begin to accept it as a societal tradition, a societal norm. And that acceptance when it overwhelms us (both individually and collectively) results in the disintegration of our constitutional democratic traditions and institutions

a last point. Sometimes we conflate superiority with excellence. They are not the same thing. Like a person performs excellently and we reward them for this. Higher wages, an Olympic gold medal, an education certificate, a knighthood, etc. Recognising and rewarding excellence is fine. But that the person has performed excellently doesn't make them a superior person. They are just excellent at what they do

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 179 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...