Where to find hotspots for black people?

Maddiiieee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1047 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've poked my head into this thread a couple times while bored and browsing and I agree with the last few people. I myself have asked where to find other active furry hangout spots or areas that cater predominantly to my age group before, how is that any different from what op is asking? Or if someone came in asking for a hangout for trans folk? Or robot avatars? Or fans of a certain sport? They're just asking where to find more of a certain type of person that they might otherwise be struggling to connect with, not trying to exclude others. 

The "if it was a WHITE person" argument holds no water because white "traditionally attractive" avatars are a dime a dozen and the only reason someone would ask that would be to get a rise out of people, because of the implication that they don't want minorities around at all. And I say all of this as someone so pale you can see my veins through my skin in the right light lol.

Some people just really like to stir the pot and create drama where there is none. 🥴

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LilithServil said:

Some people just really like to stir the pot and create drama where there is none. 🥴

A forum is a place where people post opinions and thoughts.  Just because a person may have a differing opinion than yourself does not mean they are "stirring the pot or creating drama" :) 

P.S. Furry and talking animals are not races. They are characters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Furry and talking animals are not races. They are characters.

Irrelevant.   Sexual preference, age, country are all groups people ask about.  I didn't see anyone complaining about the person asking about people from Singapore or Christians.  The OP asked a simple question...where can I find places where black people hang out.  She didn't ask where to find places that only allow black people.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

A forum is a place where people post opinions and thoughts.  Just because a person may have a differing opinion than yourself does not mean they are "stirring the pot or creating drama" :) 

P.S. Furry and talking animals are not races. They are characters.

But isn't that what I'm also doing? Posting my opinions and thoughts on the situation? Interesting that it's somehow a problem to the extent of you quoting me openly just to jab at my opinion when I peek in and point out the hypocrisy in the room. 🤔 

P.S. Missing the point entirely to state the obvious in a facetious way doesn't really help your case... It's making the issue into a race thing. Gender and sexual identity, age, and interests aren't races either but there's no harm in wanting to connect with people who share them with you. Why is it any different wanting to meet more people you have common ground in? I don't get why it's devolving into an argument.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, LilithServil said:

But isn't that what I'm also doing? Posting my opinions and thoughts on the situation? Interesting that it's somehow a problem to the extent of you quoting me openly just to jab at my opinion when I peek in and point out the hypocrisy in the room. 🤔 

P.S. Missing the point entirely to state the obvious in a facetious way doesn't really help your case... It's making the issue into a race thing. Gender and sexual identity, age, and interests aren't races either but there's no harm in wanting to connect with people who share them with you. Why is it any different wanting to meet more people you have common ground in? I don't get why it's devolving into an argument.

Who's arguing :) I am just stating my opinion just as you are. I quoted you because you assume those that disagree are doing so just to create drama and stir the post and that simply is not true. it most certainly IS a race thing. I really don't see how you don't see that. She wants to hang out with people that are black. How is that not a race thing?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Who's arguing :) I am just stating my opinion just as you are. I quoted you because you assume those that disagree are doing so just to create drama and stir the post and that simply is not true. it most certainly IS a race thing. I really don't see how you don't see that. She wants to hang out with people that are black. How is that not a race thing?

I mean... Using language like " I cannot imagine how a post would go over if someone posted that they were looking to just hang out with white people" was stated with the express intention to cause drama, is it not? Would those exact words be said on a post about someone looking for other trans people? Or someone looking for other furries? Or someone looking for other fans of x music genre?

Or what about a latino person wanting to meet other latino people, because they'd like to meet others who share their culture because they might not be able to share those things with people outside of immediate family irl? Is that a "race thing"? I didn't get anything from the OP's post that's negative. It sounds to me like she just wanted to find other people she feels most comfortable around who understand her experiences and culture as a person of color. There's nothing inherently wrong with that and throwing up the "if this was a thread about WHITE people" angle is really icky and makes a problem out of something harmless...

Edit: I'll also add that if you change "She wants to hang out with people that are black. How is that not a race thing?" to "She wants to hang out with women. How is that not a sexist thing?" you see just how yikes it sounds. Someone wanting to connect with someone like them =/= some sort of bad and terrible thing that you're making it out to be...

Edited by LilithServil
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

On 5/10/2021 at 1:26 AM, Maddiiieee said:

I'm a black, bi-sexual woman, and I'm honestly in such of areas that I can hang so that I'm able to meet new people. I don't have an issue with other races it's just that for me personally I'd prefer to spend my time in area where there's more people like me. 

Notice that she said "where there are MORE people like me". Not ONLY people like me. Not "where white people are not allowed". 

THAT is why this is clearly not a race thing - for those of you who are incapable of actually, you know...... reading words. 

I've seen many of these forums that have a full debate about racial issues on SL, but that's not what I'm looking for.

..........Oops. 😬

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

There isn't anything wrong with wanting to hang out with people who have the same cultural background as yourself. It has nothing to do with race and everything to do with familiar things. Or you've forgotten the continued existence of First Nations reservations in the US and reserves in Canada and how they came to exist. 

You're treading on thin ice. I suggest you get off the ice before it collapses.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'd like to hang out with people whose ancestors came from Nairobi, Ethiopia, Nigeria.

I am German.

My ancestors came from Afrika, Rome, the middle East, the Balkan, Asia.
They were Huns, Celtics, Romans,  Cherusker, Almans, Franks, Jews, Greeks, Slawics, Phonicians,...and a few more.

Being German makes me a bit of everything. And thats a good thing actually, that is what made us  a strong and succesfull people.

Yes, I know, there was this one guy....who started a little argument in the 30ties over this.
He is dead! Good ridance.

Edited by Caroline Takeda
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Caroline Takeda said:

They were Huns, Celtics, Romans,  Cherusker, Almans, Franks, Jews, Greeks, Slawics, Phonicians,...and a few more.

If you go back far enough, we are all from Africa. Even pasty-pale redheads like me.

Sadly the internet wasn't a thing back then and we all just lost touch.

11 minutes ago, Caroline Takeda said:

Yes, I know, there was this one guy....

.....Bismarck? :P

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AnnabelleApocalypse said:

If you go back far enough, we are all from Africa. Even pasty-pale redheads like me.

Sadly the internet wasn't a thing back then and we all just lost touch.

I only went back about 2000 years, or 5 seconds compared to humanity's existance.

Edited by Caroline Takeda

27 minutes ago, Caroline Takeda said:

I am German.

Being German makes me a bit of everything. And thats a good thing actually, that is what made us  a strong and succesfull people.

Yes, I know, there was this one guy....who started a little argument in the 30ties over this.
He is dead! Good ridance.

My point was that no one would bat an eye if someone wanted to meet people from a predominantly black African county.  Just as no one makes a fuss if it's Brits or Swedes or any other nationality.  Asking where other black people hang out is definitely, to me at least, more about cultural similarity, background, even family dynamics than the color of your skin as "black" encompasses a wide range of shades.

• Like 6

actually.....while were here..............does anyone know where I might find some Ghanaians in SL? lol

I dont hold out much hope, but I used to have some friends from there and they were all, without exception the most wonderful, friendly and joyful people I have ever met. It must be something in the water there. I need more of that in my life. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I'm sorry to hear that because now I know something I'd rather wasn't true but it's staring me right in the face. Oh well.

Your cryptic message is confusing me. If you observe...I'm not the only one with this opinion so let's stop with the "your opinion is wrong" crap.

3 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Your cryptic message is confusing me. If you observe...I'm not the only one with this opinion so let's stop with the "your opinion is wrong" crap.

I never mentioned anyone's opinion. So let's stop with the putting words in my mouth crap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

So, uh... Just because more than one person has an opinion on something doesn't necessarily make it right, per se...

Just gonna leave it at that, lol

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, LilithServil said:

So, uh... Just because more than one person has an opinion on something doesn't necessarily make it right, per se...

Just gonna leave it at that, lol

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But not all opinions are equally valuable.   And I will also, leave it at that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1047 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.