Temporary attachments

Tinkarbell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1053 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello!

I'm trying to find some information about temporary attachments.

Does anyone know how many an avatar can wear at once?

Also  how long they can be worn? (maximum time limit) and how that is determined using lsl?

Finally what are their limitations? Will they stay attached when moving from one region to another.

Thanks in advance for any info you might provide.

T.

18 minutes ago, Tinkarbell said:

Hello!

I'm trying to find some information about temporary attachments.

Does anyone know how many an avatar can wear at once?

Also  how long they can be worn? (maximum time limit) and how that is determined using lsl?

Finally what are their limitations? Will they stay attached when moving from one region to another.

Thanks in advance for any info you might provide.

T.

You can wear as many as there are attachment slots. (38)

They have no time limit.

They will be detached when you log out.

8 minutes ago, Tinkarbell said:

read that already. none of the answers are in there.

you you have any answers or no?

If the wiki doesn't mention something, most likely there's no difference to normal behavior. See the caveats section on the wiki for all the limitations.

Likewise if the wiki doesn't mention a feature (such as a time limt), most likely it doesn't exist.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Tinkarbell said:

just so I'm clear. If I'm already wearing 38 regular attachments, I cannot put on any temps?

Right.  A temp attachment counts the same as any other attachment.  The only difference is that when you detach it, the temp attachment does not go back to your inventory.  You only have temporary ownership of it while it is attached.

• Like 3

In case you were thinking about it, there no advantage at all to temp attaching something that you own. As I just noted, the only difference between temp and regular attachments is the matter of ownership. The whole idea of temp attachments was to make it possible for merchants to temp attach demo items without actually giving customers permanent ownership.  You script a vendor to rez the demo, and you script the demo to ask the person who clicks for PERMISSION_ATTACH.  Assuming that the person gives permission, that script then uses llAttachToAvatarTemp to attach the demo.  Linden Lab (and some residents with Experiences) also use temp attachments to give players a game HUD in places like Linden Realms.  Just as in the vendor case, the temp attached HUD vanishes as soon as the player finishes the game and detaches it.

I can see those as being good uses for the feature. In my case, I had thought I read some where that you can have  4 additional temp attachments. Since everyone is always complaining about how 38 is not enough, I was going to come up with a HUD that allows you to temp attach 4 items. Thus increasing total attachments to 42. Guess it wasn't meant to be.

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

For the rest of your questions you could have just used the script command and wandered about in SL. 

It would have been quicker.

wow, a little spicy are we.

but no, my coding is weak and I know that rolig knows everything.

• Haha 1

I don't have much use for animesh attachments, so I'm not 100% sure they count towards the same 38 attachment limit. My guess is "yes" but it's slightly weird in that Premium subscribers can have two animesh attachments whereas basic avatars get one (in case you were wondering which of your friends have Premium accounts).

11 hours ago, Tinkarbell said:

Will they stay attached when moving from one region to another.

As cited by Coffee in the first post, the wiki says something relevant but not the exact answer:

• If attached via a Land Scope Experience script, the object will be forced detached by the server if the owner enters a parcel that does not have the Experience allowed.

but objects temp-attached by a land scope Experience will stay attached across a region change if the arrival parcel also enables that Experience.

[ETA: I meant to mention that the attachment script can of course detach itself on CHANGED_REGION, which is very often the case, as with AVsitter experience temp-attached props.]

Edited by Qie Niangao

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1053 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.