Second Life History - what happened to......

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dakota Buck's Whippet and Buck (and Savvy before that). Gorgeous hand textured clothes. Some of it is still available on the marketplace but I want new things! Dakota was my platonic SL partner for over 12 years. She even stayed partnered to me when I left SL for several years. She hasn't logged into SL for ages.

Saeya Nyanda's Kyoot, I miss her work, great creativity and skill. The last day I saw her online she was quite insistent that she will not return to SL to make more things. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Nicky is still around last I checked. Pixeldolls has been gone for what... 5 years now? maybe just 2 or 3. I was able to get the dresses I had been coveting for a long time right before she closed up shop.

I used to love Pixeldolls too:) It still exists as a $10 linden shop now (not new stuff )...

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Chartreuse/227/105/22

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Being the vintage girl that I am, i am disappointed in the way mesh seemed to kill the best creations.

Top of my list is Ivalde. I was lucky enough to be one of the models so I have a huge wardrobe left of the stuff. A lot of the stuff still holds up.

Also Icing and Jetdoll were great for the vintage stuffs.

Ingenue is still around, but she seems to mostly do shoes. I loved her wonderful collection of vintage clothing and hair.

Donna Flora....another vintage place with a flair for the unusual and some really pretty jewelry Sadly Squinternet passed away, Must have been, geez I dunno, maybe 8 years ago?

I really miss the Swing Times sim

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Madison Talon said:

Being the vintage girl that I am, i am disappointed in the way mesh seemed to kill the best creations.

Top of my list is Ivalde. I was lucky enough to be one of the models so I have a huge wardrobe left of the stuff. A lot of the stuff still holds up.

Ingenue is still around, but she seems to mostly do shoes. I loved her wonderful collection of vintage clothing and hair.

Donna Flora....another vintage place with a flair for the unusual and some really pretty jewelry Sadly Squinternet passed away, Must have been, geez I dunno, maybe 8 years ago?

I knew Squinternet personally. At the time, I was teaching Blender and she wanted to learn, but her severe illness slowed her down and passed away before being able to release anything mesh made entirely by her, without the help of any collaborator. She was a lovely lady, very intelligent and humble. Very humorous too. Fun fact about her SL name: being Italian, her name was the result of merging "squinternata" (mess-minded/unhinged) with "internet"

Edited by OptimoMaximo
  • Like 3

On 5/9/2021 at 3:26 PM, Charlotte Bartlett said:

I was looking at some old groups today.  I was in the Gnubie group (GNU Wave Architects) which some older users may remember as one of the original "freebie" stores set up in Second Life.  The group still lives, but I looked at some of the members who haven't logged in (some for 10 years!).  I wonder where they are today, what they are doing, if they are still being creative :)

Who are people you miss in Second Life?   Persons and their creations....

Some names I remember and miss!
Six Kennedy - first hair I ever brought in Second Life - I think her brand was called GuRL.   There was even GurlyWorld if I remember.
Siggy Romulus - Pools (and made the Swimmer HUD from memory) - Waterworks!  I think he still is on SL.
Kim Manilow - made pools and decking areas (I remember her stuff when I first came to SL!) from memory left in 2013 for WOW.
TaP Shepherd - Fleur Skins - I think left in 2014 
Gala Phoenix - Curio Skins

Nyte Caligari - Nyte and Day - again think she didn't do much after 2016.
Nonna Hedges. - Gowns - I think Nonna still may log on I am sure I have seen her active.
The Paper Couture designers (alts - used the family name Lu) from Tableau etc - how I miss their collections which still to be are hands down the most creative clothing ever brought to Second Life.
Scope Cleaver and Maximum Minimum - we did the Bartlett House project together back in I think 2007 or 8 - both extraordinary creative and talented folk.

I need to add my nostalgic regions/areas I miss too.

The greatest loss of a creator in SL was Scope Cleaver, in my view. He was an extraordinary and visionary architect and built so many sites, including the first real-life consulate of Estonia.

When mesh was put in -- and rather aggressively, served up with a heap of scorn against people who wouldn't "move with the times" and abandon sculpties and prims, he simply deleted all his builds and left SL.  By that time, Estonia was gone and some of the other sites were gone of their own accord. Today, I don't believe a single one of his builds survived.

It's a real shame, and he should have remained and kept building with prims. I certainly still value them. I have the building by Juro Kothari which is the Society of Virtual Architecture in Warmouth, for example.

Siggy died in RL, sadly leaving a wife also once active as a creator in SL and twin children.

Funny you put Kim Manilow in the list. For 17 years, I had her rather prim-heavy pool at Flamingo Court Motel in Juanita, and it held up all this time although periodically I would be annoyed that it wasn't on "modify" so I couldn't convex some of the prims (not all, as any hollow thing convexed becomes impossible to move into). When I read her profile that she hated SL and left for WoW, I thought, why am I keeping this monument to this hater? So I took it back in inventory and put out Krafwork's Inside Out Pool which was less prims and looked better. I'm not a mesh snob at all and love good prim craftsmanship, but I like beautiful mesh things too. And sculpties, which I think are often best for portraying nature and fantasy builds.

There are some other prim builders who left SL (and in fact Juro Kotharis is one) and I will find their names and come back. One was Foolish Frost, who built the hall in Ravenglass and the big tree house in Carlisle and other well known builds but who left to do 3D art in other jobs and just wasn't interested enough to come back to SL. 

Edited by Prokofy Neva

On 5/11/2021 at 7:19 PM, GoSpeed Racer said:

Frangipani Hair - I had so many of those.

Ordinal Malaprop - She made the neatest gadgets. I still play with my beehive launcher and flare gun.

Ordinal was wonderful. And is still on Twitter. I have so many of her things. Including her sturdy wood table and exploding candies.

• Like 2

Julia Hathor is gone. I used to love wandering through her regions looking at her different designs and cute creatures. Her landscaping was very calming, but some of her decorating was rather flamboyant.

I miss Yadni Monde's wonderful freebie store. I believe Yadni moved on to another virtual reality. One of the freebies in the store was a collection of "Under 40-prim houses" and I recently unboxed the "Chelsea Flat" from it - perhaps it should be in an architectural museum somewhere.

As for flexi hair & clothing, what else can you wear when you are dancing on the ceiling?

sl - dancing on the ceiling good for familyends_001.png

Hathorbedroom1.jpg

Edited by Rufferta
Added flexi hair & clothing, Hathor bedroom
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

There are some other prim builders who left SL (and in fact Juro Kotharis is one) and I will find their names and come back. One was Foolish Frost, who built the hall in Ravenglass and the big tree house in Carlisle and other well known builds but who left to do 3D art in other jobs and just wasn't interested enough to come back to SL. 

As a younger avatar who missed many works of art before their time, I only know Mr. Frost as the guy who sang the Rockstar parody song.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I have a group of her flowers and they are a lot of prims but I treasure them.

I left SL for a few years and came back to find some of my inventory lost. Fallingwater's flowers were among the irretrievable items. I am still disappointed about that.

• Like 1

I lost the Bartlett House too Scope did. painful considering it was a RL funded project and cost a fair bit in USD. It was a one off build still used in a picture somewhere by LL.   I was over 3000 prims from memory but an amazing project.

This blog still has pictures of it plus other projects Scope did.

https://archsl.wordpress.com/category/scope-cleaver/

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Rufferta said:

Julia Hathor is gone. I used to love wandering through her regions looking at her different designs and cute creatures. Her landscaping was very calming, but some of her decorating was rather flamboyant.

I miss Yadni Monde's wonderful freebie store. I believe Yadni moved on to another virtual reality. One of the freebies in the store was a collection of "Under 40-prim houses" and I recently unboxed the "Chelsea Flat" from it - perhaps it should be in an architectural museum somewhere.

As for flexi hair & clothing, what else can you wear when you are dancing on the ceiling?

sl - dancing on the ceiling good for familyends_001.png

Hathorbedroom1.jpg

Yes, Julia Hathor is another one who left because of mesh! I have her Wolf Castle still which I have converted into the Witch's Castle in my Narnia Quest. There was a bling script in every prim piece, I guess glow hadn't been invented then? In any event I had to reduce the script time. It's really a gorgeous piece, sculpty and prim. I also kept her Wolf Grotto up in Tethys and some other builds of hers, I remember how exotic they seemed at the time. I modified them mainly by replacing prim pillows and fixing the seating but really, they are works of art!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

I lost the Bartlett House too Scope did. painful considering it was a RL funded project and cost a fair bit in USD. It was a one off build still used in a picture somewhere by LL.   I was over 3000 prims from memory but an amazing project.

This blog still has pictures of it plus other projects Scope did.

https://archsl.wordpress.com/category/scope-cleaver/

Was this Bartlett House related to you? I don't recall it and I'm glad it survives in pictures anyway.

16 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Was this Bartlett House related to you? I don't recall it and I'm glad it survives in pictures anyway.

It is, I worked on it with Scope and Max - they did all the building and I was the "client" albeit I did some plants for the indoor garden.  I was a few months into Scarlet Creative back then (started it in 2006) and Scope was the one who taught me to build when I added pool water to the house above :)  

• Like 3

On 5/10/2021 at 5:44 PM, Rowan Amore said:

Antonia Marat and Artilleri.  She still has items up on the MP.  Very cute retro stuff.

Oh, yes! I loved Artilleri back in the day, and alsywas hoped that someday she'd make some nice meshy updates to her stuff. Can't get enough of that sort of style.

On 5/15/2021 at 3:53 AM, Madison Talon said:

I also came to Swing Times way back in the day. Loved that place.

I also liked the late, great Nix Sands. He did some marvelous period pieces, as well as sci fi goodies.

Lumae also used to make some really nice skins that were reasonably priced. I was looking for her stuff recently and alas, it seems there is hardly anything left on inworld or MP.

As for places missed, I always had a soft spot for Caledon's Iron Cloud.

I'll toss in Sweetlemon Jewell, the creator of Omega (and Alpha) Point.  I have no idea if she's still in world, but Omega Point was always a stunning build and constantly evolving.  I'm pretty sure everything in those builds were created by her.

The Donna Flora store is still open in memory of Squinternet.

I don't know if anyone remembers this store, but I found this corset a while back on my old account from the store TheAbyss that I bought back in 2010. it was my favorite corset for many years while a mix of system layers and sculpts were a thing, I remember they had a really cute white/pink scifi outfit for sale that I never had the chance to grab, I do wonder what happen to the creator. 

Anyhow, I still love and appreciate the creators who aren't around anymore. 😄

bd17d312fa7f8e25f01b88118a2d340a.png

Edited by PixelBerry
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2021 at 10:32 PM, Rolig Loon said:

I went looking for that gown in my inventory just now and I can't find it. It must have died in some ancient inventory dustbin fire.  I had a couple of those.  I still have a photo that shows the bodice, though.  It's maybe not as elegant as I remembered, by today's standards, but it was great at the time.  The hat wasn't Nonna's, but it went with the dress.

1365819657_ElegantRolig.jpg.ce4fdf49010c512228c189b135504b8e.jpg

On 5/10/2021 at 4:33 PM, Kitty Barnett said:

My first hair was a GuRL 6 hair because you got one for free if you were under 30 days old.

Some I haven't seen mentioned:

* Dazzle  (later rebranded as Last Call) was one of my favourite stores (unfortunately Ginny Talamasca passed away)

* Republic Bay was probably not terribly well known but I got to know the creator (Lika Goodliffe) a little and he made a house I still have wonderful memories of (I later on found he'd also since passed)

* TorridWear (Torrid Midnight) made the post iterations of my AO poses

Starax Statosk was always a mystery name and I'd see it pop up with reference to the "Starax wand's magical abilities" - I don't think I ever got to see one

I found this in a dusty corner of my inventory:

image.png.11f88cadc47f91bebb10b8b579bf4efb.png

It would be interesting to see how these look on a Mesh BOM body. 

On 5/11/2021 at 4:46 AM, Innula Zenovka said:

Mystical Cookie's MystiTool HUD used to be indispensable, as I recall.   And then third-party-viewers came along.

You can still buy it, they have a small parcel set up with vendors. your Mystitool should have a button for updates that will tp you there.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.