Second Life History - what happened to......

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Many of the ones I used for my second time I was in SL for several years just before mesh clothing and as mesh clothing and Slink feet first came out are still here.  

My first avatar, way back in or about 2006 or just prior, maybe late 2005, I can't remember the names of the skin or the hair or much but I do remember Butterfly Hollow...one of my first homes in SL was a treehouse in Butterfly Hollow.  Butterfly Hollow is still here too.   My second hair for my first avatar in SL was when flexi hair just came out or was hitting the grid.  My first avatar had worn one hair for about a year because I thought that's what we were supposed to do, make one character to represent us and just be that and I don't fuss with my hair much in real life.  But when I saw that flexi hair from Damselfly, I loved it!  Damselfly is still here too.

One who isn't here that I do miss is Antique Artistry who started in about 2007 I think - their stuff was gorgeous and super low prim - way before their time.  Antique Artistry has some 1 linden dollarbies on MP now as little remembrances but they are retired and haven't had an inworld shopping sim for a long time.  

But, most of the ones I love from all those years ago are still here.

Oh, to help with your title about "history"...here is Antique Artistry's bio

Antique Artistry was formed in 2006 by two long-time SL creators, Poppet McGimsie and Fatima Ur, who have created literally thousands of SL objects, animations, scripts, textures and soundscapes.

Poppet has been making antique furniture all along, including texturing, mesh modeling, scripting and animations. The pieces we offer have often been developed over the last decade, starting even before sculpted prims were possible. The challenge is always to create something that is beautiful, realistic, well-crafted, and low prim.

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Long Awkward Pose.

I still use Dove's poses!  I remember when she left she thanked us all for putting her kids though college.  Not a bad exit.  I also use aDORKable's poses often. The poses were on the Marketplace still for a long while but now the page is empty.  

Also Fallingwater Cedardoor's shoe store!  Not sure I got the last name correct. She was one of the "founders" but not listed any longer in search even if I just check for "fallingwater" :D.    

TO BED!!!!!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Also Fallingwater Cedardoor's shoe store!  Not sure I got the last name correct. She was one of the "founders" but not listed any longer in search even if I just check for "fallingwater" :D.    

Cellardoor. :)  I spent as much time looking at the shop decor with its curly flowers and vines as I did at the shoes.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My first real encounter with SL fashion was The old "Naughty Designs" skins by Lost Thereian.  I remember he had a partner, but her name escapes me. I was like 2007 I want to say.

I remember being wowed by the build of their in-world store. It looked like a real world mall. It generously made use of sculpts, with was the only way to import custom geometry at the time. This was before mesh.

I got one of his Dante and one of his Gabriel skins. Which probably went on to become some of the most copy-bot'ed male skins in SL.

I also remember they got into a feud with Torrid Midmight over her use of GL Intercept to mod one of their skins.

I often wonder what became of the people behind the avatar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

It certainly has TP history (Places button >Teleport History).

That shows how much I'm interested in the viewer matter.
I use the places button regularly, but I never noticed there was a second tab: The Teleport History tab.
And it goes months back. Cool. Thanks for mentioning it  Innula.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

So many memories, 

Calla hair and Gurl6 (think it was the name) were my first hair stores. 

Pillow talk, I loved that place, and Julia Hathor that I think it was down Pillow Talk store. 

My swimmer is still the one Siggy made, 

Last Call, so many people gone, Ginny would have a ball with mesh

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Orion Pastorelli said:

My first real encounter with SL fashion was The old "Naughty Designs" skins by Lost Thereian.  I remember he had a partner, but her name escapes me. I was like 2007 I want to say.

I remember being wowed by the build of their in-world store. It looked like a real world mall. It generously made use of sculpts, with was the only way to import custom geometry at the time. This was before mesh.

I remember that mall! It's one of the pretty places I used to show off LL's 'Shadow Draft' project (in the early days of shadows LL only did source code drops for it and didn't offer a viewer with it of its own).

Hopefully this doesn't ruin your memory of it :) .

2543894217_c98cc65c23_b.jpg

2544721966_6098ac053a_b.jpg

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Kitty Barnett said:

I remember that mall! It's one of the pretty places I used to show off LL's 'Shadow Draft' project (in the early days of shadows LL only did source code drops for it and didn't offer a viewer with it of its own).

Hopefully this doesn't ruin your memory of it :) .

WOW, not at all! I love them! Talk about a blast from the past. Do you have more?

10 hours ago, Orion Pastorelli said:

WOW, not at all! I love them! Talk about a blast from the past. Do you have more?

Those are the only ones I uploaded to Flickr; if I took any more they're not in my inventory and any extras from that far back will have fallen victim to the hard dive failure monster, sorry :( .

• Like 1

I miss a bunch of prim creators but the names elude me, I miss all the art malls and art sidewalks sales on the mainlands. those little shops you would find hidden away were everything was made with love.

Was a sim called Pillars of Hercules (it really should have got landmark status) the creator Scotty had some of the finest greek and roman garden stuff.

The Curious Prim by Grey Kurka he left due to his things being stolen often then when mesh came in it took his income away, could not pay for his region so he logged out one day never to be heard again(still on my friends list) but he was really one of the must talened prim twisters and his texture skills was none above.

• Like 4

seeing people reminisce on the old times in second life is very nice to see. considering i have only been on second life for three years, it's interesting to see some of the old, old history of this virtual world.

• Like 2

I remember spending many pleasurable hours browsing the lovely gowns at Nonna Hodges! These garments have a new life with Bakes on Mesh, by the way.

Also I remember the Gurl Six hair store, just a massive place with so many hairstyles it made your head spin! It was all prim/flexiprim hair that makes your avatar look so dated, however. 

Pixeldolls used to have some great system-layer clothing; I still make regular use of a empire-waist dress AO that keeps the hands away from the waist that came with one of her dresses. They stopped making clothes just as we transitioned from system layers to mesh clothing. Nicky Ree Designs also had some stunning system-layers-and-flexiprims dresses. They're still around, last I checked.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Vanity Fair said:

Pixeldolls used to have some great system-layer clothing; I still make regular use of a empire-waist dress AO that keeps the hands away from the waist that came with one of her dresses. They stopped making clothes just as we transitioned from system layers to mesh clothing. Nicky Ree Designs also had some stunning system-layers-and-flexiprims dresses. They're still around, last I checked.

Nicky is still around last I checked. Pixeldolls has been gone for what... 5 years now? maybe just 2 or 3. I was able to get the dresses I had been coveting for a long time right before she closed up shop.

*=Hybrid=* - They specialized in ... well, Hybrid parts! Wanted to be a Dog boy/girl? Cute Mouse? Perhaps a Cat or Fox? Rabbit? They had a lot of options that held up rather well for years. For a bit, Urban Dare grabbed the Neko market and later folded.

The Werehouse - Still around but functionally defunct. Got my first few Anthro avatars there!

Lost Furrest Creatures - Tried to rebrand as AnthroVision and ... Well, didn't go far. Another place that had good Avatars.

Gads .... oh so many places!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.