Second Life History - what happened to......

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1069 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was looking at some old groups today.  I was in the Gnubie group (GNU Wave Architects) which some older users may remember as one of the original "freebie" stores set up in Second Life.  The group still lives, but I looked at some of the members who haven't logged in (some for 10 years!).  I wonder where they are today, what they are doing, if they are still being creative :)

Who are people you miss in Second Life?   Persons and their creations....

Some names I remember and miss!
Six Kennedy - first hair I ever brought in Second Life - I think her brand was called GuRL.   There was even GurlyWorld if I remember.
Siggy Romulus - Pools (and made the Swimmer HUD from memory) - Waterworks!  I think he still is on SL.
Kim Manilow - made pools and decking areas (I remember her stuff when I first came to SL!) from memory left in 2013 for WOW.
TaP Shepherd - Fleur Skins - I think left in 2014 
Gala Phoenix - Curio Skins

Nyte Caligari - Nyte and Day - again think she didn't do much after 2016.
Nonna Hedges. - Gowns - I think Nonna still may log on I am sure I have seen her active.
The Paper Couture designers (alts - used the family name Lu) from Tableau etc - how I miss their collections which still to be are hands down the most creative clothing ever brought to Second Life.
Scope Cleaver and Maximum Minimum - we did the Bartlett House project together back in I think 2007 or 8 - both extraordinary creative and talented folk.

I need to add my nostalgic regions/areas I miss too.

• Like 10

I remember reading on SLU or VVO that Siggy had passed  2 or 3 years ago.

You'll have to log in to read the thread but Cris made it when Siggy passed suddenly.

https://www.virtualverse.one/forums/threads/in-loving-memory-of-those-we-have-lost-🌹❤.213/

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

Six Kennedy - first hair I ever brought in Second Life - I think her brand was called GuRL.   There was even GurlyWorld if I remember.

Ah yes, I was a regular visitor to her store! Was Gurl6 the store name? I’ll have to raid my original av’s inventory and see if I still have any items from back then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I remember reading on SLU or VVO that Siggy had passed  2 or 3 years ago.

You'll have to log in to read the thread but Cris made it when Siggy passed suddenly.

https://www.virtualverse.one/forums/threads/in-loving-memory-of-those-we-have-lost-🌹❤.213/

Oh he was such a character, larger than life.   How sad for his family and friends thank you for the thread link, I appreciate ❤️
I am now hoping Siggy is up there creating a huge pool party for when we join him when it is our time.   Neph is such a lovely lady.

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I was not exactly a big fan of Gala even before that . . . for other reasons.

I knew of the issue Hush copyright etc.  I still loved her skins back from the day, never interacted personally.

Edited by Charlotte Bartlett
  • Like 2

Natalia kept up that blog for a couple of years after she closed Sirena Hair and moved on to wherever she moved on to.  I learned a lot of my early texturing skills from her tutorials and I bought a ton of her hair.

One of the first gowns I bought in SL, back in 2007, was a lace bodiced dress from Nonna Hedges.  She had a high-class shop and some very elegant clothes.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Natalia kept up that blog for a couple of years after she closed Sirena Hair and moved on to wherever she moved on to.  I learned a lot of my early texturing skills from her tutorials and I bought a ton of her hair.

One of the first gowns I bought in SL, back in 2007, was a lace bodiced dress from Nonna Hedges.  She had a high-class shop and some very elegant clothes.

I loved Nonna’s store it was so glamorous. We need more glamour hah in SL!!

• Like 1

One of the first gowns I bought in SL, back in 2007, was a lace bodiced dress from Nonna Hedges. 

I went looking for that gown in my inventory just now and I can't find it. It must have died in some ancient inventory dustbin fire.  I had a couple of those.  I still have a photo that shows the bodice, though.  It's maybe not as elegant as I remembered, by today's standards, but it was great at the time.  The hat wasn't Nonna's, but it went with the dress.

1365819657_ElegantRolig.jpg.ce4fdf49010c512228c189b135504b8e.jpg

• Like 2

I went looking for that gown in my inventory just now and I can't find it. It must have died in some ancient inventory dustbin fire.  I had a couple of those.  I still have a photo that shows the bodice, though.  It's maybe not as elegant as I remembered, by today's standards, but it was great at the time.  The hat wasn't Nonna's, but it went with the dress.

1365819657_ElegantRolig.jpg.ce4fdf49010c512228c189b135504b8e.jpg

That looks like it may be the one I modeled on the runway waaaay back when modeling agencies were first appearing in SL. Was it floor length with the skirt being the same lace overlay? The one I wore was the variegated one. It was my favorite gown for many years. Seems like that was in 2005/6.  

Cora Lu and Ava Lu still have their collections on the Marketplace. I think my favorite is the "Reclining Feline" earrings.

Edit: Ava Lu sells the gowns and Cora Lu the jewelry. It is heavy stuff to wear, the complexity numbers jump up. But nice for photography and remembering SL "as it was".

feline.jpg?1337185625

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Aemilia Case of Philotic Energy hair. I got to be friends with Aemilia when I was dating Alice who was the support for Discord Designs hair. Aemilia did me a few of her styles in a custom colour for me. This was 2008.

081113_001.thumb.png.24ff5ad674df8cf291417943b029f8ec.png

Speaking of old friends in the hair business, I still see and speak to Kallisti Burns of Discord. Her store is still open but she's not making anything new, she's switched career and is now a DJ. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

That looks like it may be the one I modeled on the runway waaaay back when modeling agencies were first appearing in SL. Was it floor length with the skirt being the same lace overlay?

That's the one. It was gorgeous. 😎

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

I knew of the issue Hush copyright etc.  I still loved her skins back from the day, never interacted personally.

I had a few direct interactions. I followed the Hush episode, but I have no idea who was in the right or wrong about this. Most people seemed to side with Curio, but that's mostly, I think, because they were a very popular and well-known brand, and Hush wasn't. The settlement they came to, for what it's worth (which is probably not much, because . . . "the law") was pretty much a victory for Hush, though.

My first hair was a GuRL 6 hair because you got one for free if you were under 30 days old.

Some I haven't seen mentioned:

* Dazzle  (later rebranded as Last Call) was one of my favourite stores (unfortunately Ginny Talamasca passed away)

* Republic Bay was probably not terribly well known but I got to know the creator (Lika Goodliffe) a little and he made a house I still have wonderful memories of (I later on found he'd also since passed)

* TorridWear (Torrid Midnight) made the post iterations of my AO poses

Starax Statosk was always a mystery name and I'd see it pop up with reference to the "Starax wand's magical abilities" - I don't think I ever got to see one

17 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I found this in a dusty corner of my inventory:

image.png.11f88cadc47f91bebb10b8b579bf4efb.png

• Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1069 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.