My Linden Home is Playing Music

DeanMackenzie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1080 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hiya!

I just moved into my new Linden Home this week. I haven't added a stick of furniture except for a pose stand. Tonight I was at a club, so I had the music turned on. When I teleported back home, there was music playing. I thought that it was a neighbor (I've already had to mute a constantly playing piano.) But the music is actually confined to my house. The minute I step off the porch, the music stops. I step back onto the porch, the music starts again. I can find nothing in the Firestorm Preferences. The only way I can turn it off is to shut off streaming music. Ive had other Linden Homes and this is the first time Ive had this problem. Any one have any suggestions? Thanks!

Find a URL for a music Stream you like and Ctrl+C   Then open About Land>Sound and paste that stream Ctrl+V then Enter and wait a few seconds and it will start playing.  There are Streams of other sounds like nature sounds, forest sounds, weather sounds, and also no sounds at all.  I think you went to a Club and toggled the 🎶 ? And now your viewer has enabled 🎶

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DeanMackenzie said:

Hiya!

I just moved into my new Linden Home this week. I haven't added a stick of furniture except for a pose stand. Tonight I was at a club, so I had the music turned on. When I teleported back home, there was music playing. I thought that it was a neighbor (I've already had to mute a constantly playing piano.) But the music is actually confined to my house. The minute I step off the porch, the music stops. I step back onto the porch, the music starts again. I can find nothing in the Firestorm Preferences. The only way I can turn it off is to shut off streaming music. Ive had other Linden Homes and this is the first time Ive had this problem. Any one have any suggestions? Thanks!

That is a feature, not a bug.  As I'm sure you know, you can toggle music streaming on or off in Firestorm using the little musical note button in the upper right corner of the viewer.  If it is on when you leave a location, it will stay on as you travel around the grid.  If you go to a place with an active stream, which may or may not include your Linden Home, you will hear music automatically.  The reason you haven't noticed this previously is that your homes either have not had a music stream configured, or you had music streaming toggled to off.  

image.png.d0e70e2f508172a412ebb32e77d65295.png

If you want to change the stream that plays when you toggle streaming to on, you can set that in you World\Parcel Details\Sound settings.  In Firestorm, you can keep a list of streams, and chose from it via a dropdown.  You can add or remove streams from your personal list by clicking the +and - buttons.  If you never want music playing at home, you can simply delete the configured stream.  Note that these settings are only available to the land owner, so if an alt owns your Linden Home, only the alt will be able to use these features. 

image.png.37bb237fb23f3bf9aff762ae422c282b.png

Another option is to get a radio or radio script that will allow anyone to change the stream without having to be the owner.  If you go this route, do not get one that requires deed to group, as those won't work properly on Linden Homes.  

Edited by Matthieu Quander
Typing is hard.
  • Like 9

Okay, a couple of things...

The music is in the build of the house. The minute I step off the build, the music stops. When I am on the land outside, I click on "About Land" and the "Music URL" box under the Sound tab is blank. And since this is Linden land, I cannot change anything in that box--the box is grayed out.

Matthieu Quander, I greatly appreciate your detailed answer but I didn't encounter this is the previous Linden Home I had. And I have a hard time believing that the Lindens would force a music stream into their homes that can't be changed.

Since I haven't done any real work on this house yet, I'm going to leave it and switch to another Linden Home and see what happens there. I'll let you all know what I find out.

Thanks!

@DeanMackenzieNuuuuuu don't leave your home!! What they are telling you is that the music is not in your house but on your parcel. So yes, it does stop once you leave your parcel lines (your yard). BUT if you open About Land and go to the sound tab. There is a drop down window there as you can see in the above picture! Just find whatever url is in there and hit the -sign. It will delete it and the music will stop. 

Also when you tp out of a club or a place that is playing music. If you do not turn your player off (the musical note looking symbol) it will auto play to whatever place you go to next because you did not stop it. What likely has happened is that someone who lived there right before you never took out the streams. And you are hearing a music stream from the previous owner. Because Lindens or Moles NEVER add streams to people's homes ♥ 

edited to add: You need to be INSIDE your parcel to change this :)

Edited by JessycaJayne
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, DeanMackenzie said:

Okay, a couple of things...

The music is in the build of the house. The minute I step off the build, the music stops. When I am on the land outside, I click on "About Land" and the "Music URL" box under the Sound tab is blank. And since this is Linden land, I cannot change anything in that box--the box is grayed out.

Matthieu Quander, I greatly appreciate your detailed answer but I didn't encounter this is the previous Linden Home I had. And I have a hard time believing that the Lindens would force a music stream into their homes that can't be changed.

Since I haven't done any real work on this house yet, I'm going to leave it and switch to another Linden Home and see what happens there. I'll let you all know what I find out.

Thanks!

I assume your new home is meeting your needs, but to clarify one thing, the Lindens weren't the ones forcing a music stream into your home.  The previous owner left it that way.  There are a few settings that do not get reset when  Linden Home changes hands.  One is the music stream.  The image for the parcel that shows up in landmarks is another.  

• Like 2

Well, like I said, I got myself a different house and no music.

There must have been something broken in that other Linden Home. As I said before, when I opened up the "Sounds" tab on "About Land" the "Music URL" box was blank and grayed out. There was no URL and I couldn't add one of my own.  But somehow, music was being streamed into the house.

I've already added a couple of sources into the "Music URL" box in my new house and they work fine. I'll probably shop around for one of those stereo units that perform the same function but are more convenient to use with clicks on a menu.

Thanks for everyone's help! 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DeanMackenzie said:

There must have been something broken in that other Linden Home. As I said before, when I opened up the "Sounds" tab on "About Land" the "Music URL" box was blank and grayed out. There was no URL and I couldn't add one of my own.  But somehow, music was being streamed into the house.

I've already added a couple of sources into the "Music URL" box in my new house and they work fine. I'll probably shop around for one of those stereo units that perform the same function but are more convenient to use with clicks on a menu.

For future reference and to put it very simply..... when you add a music stream to your linden home parcel it stays on that parcel when you abandon the home.  The reason your parcel had music is because the person who had it before you had that stream on your parcel.  All you needed to do was change the music stream in your ABOUT LAND page or delete the old one.  There was nothing broken about your home.

• Like 2

It was greyed out because you were clicking the land that was not owned by you and didn't have that stream set anyway. You needed to be where you could hear the music. To bring up the details for where you're standing (rather than where you're clicking the ground), go into the "World" menu and then select "Parcel Details" or "About Land" or whatever you viewer likes to call it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Storii Bellisserian said:

I’m honestly surprised at how many people don’t have a music stream going on their land, always weird to take over a plot and it’s just... silence 😄

I never have music playing.  I would rather hear the birds, bugs and water flowing.  If I want music, I'll go to a club.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Moles
7 hours ago, DeanMackenzie said:

I believe you. It's not a problem with that house though. The house doesn't have the ability to change the parcel music stream. If one is left on a parcel settings it is from a previous owner of the parcel. Also make sure you are selecting your parcel. You should be able to change the music url if it is your parcel. Could you have selected the main parcel outside your house by accident?

What I also think it could have been though is not a music stream at all technically... but a nearby media player that was left running and playing music and that is what you were hearing. Once you got far enough away from it, it stopped. If that is what is happening, go into your preferences and find the section for media (Note: media... not music) and make sure Autoplaying of media is disabled. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Storii Bellisserian said:

I’m honestly surprised at how many people don’t have a music stream going on their land, always weird to take over a plot and it’s just... silence 😄

I'm one of those people who clean out everything when I abandon a parcel, even the music stream. I feel like I'm leaving it fresh for the next owner. 

• Like 6

• Moles
1 hour ago, Evah Baxton said:

If you own the parcel and the home then it can technically change the parcel stream.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlSetParcelMusicURL

You don't actually own the home itself in Linden Homes though. You own the parcel. The home is still owned by us moles and set to the LDPW group with its root center not on the parcel. That is how Linden Homes allows for a house that does not count against the parcel LI. The controllers just read who the owner of the parcel it is for is and allows that account to interact with them. Because the house is owned by us and not the owner of the parcel it would be impossible for a script in a Linden Home to change the parcel media url using llSetParcelMusicURL even if we wanted it to. 

Edited by Abnor Mole
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1080 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.