Do you like bom? :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello! ;)

I understand that this is a scream into space, but I just want to give my opinion.
this update has raised my doubts since its inception.
yes, it's cool that "you can now wear your favorite skin on a mesh body", but what's the use if most of them just don't fit?
Now that this novelty has appeared (well, you know what I mean), you will have to wear not one, not two, but four layers, for the body, head, eyebrows and even ears! I can live without the hairbase - 5. call me old fashioned, but why such a setup? not sure if anyone is paying special attention to your ears.
personally in this position I feel like a cabbage or a special forces soldier hung with ammunition. I understand when it's accessories and so on ... but it's just a skin, guys! it could only be one layer! I don't understand what's the point of hundreds of layers. The purpose of the mesh was to apply various effects to it without increasing the number of attachments. it loses its functionality due to the bom.
You say - don't like it, don't use it, just wondering if I'm the only one not very "happy" with the bom?

:)

BoM is awesome. 

If stuff doesn't fit, poke the provider of your mesh butt and ask them to update.

BoM allows you to stack textures and alpha layers, this "cabbage" is then rendered by the servers into a single unique texture.

You're only wearing one texture (per part) and other people only have one texture (per part) to download.

Maximum flexibility. Minimum lag. Awesome.

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 4

BoM is awesome. The ability to layer tattoos, hair, various skin imperfections and shaders, etc. allow for a much more complex avatar - whilst avoiding alpha glitches and lag.

The one thing I wish with BoM is that layers would have specular and bump channels, and a transparency slider. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tattooshop said:

Hello! ;)

I understand that this is a scream into space, but I just want to give my opinion.
this update has raised my doubts since its inception.
yes, it's cool that "you can now wear your favorite skin on a mesh body", but what's the use if most of them just don't fit?
Now that this novelty has appeared (well, you know what I mean), you will have to wear not one, not two, but four layers, for the body, head, eyebrows and even ears! I can live without the hairbase - 5. call me old fashioned, but why such a setup? not sure if anyone is paying special attention to your ears.
personally in this position I feel like a cabbage or a special forces soldier hung with ammunition. I understand when it's accessories and so on ... but it's just a skin, guys! it could only be one layer! I don't understand what's the point of hundreds of layers. The purpose of the mesh was to apply various effects to it without increasing the number of attachments. it loses its functionality due to the bom.
You say - don't like it, don't use it, just wondering if I'm the only one not very "happy" with the bom?

:)

You don't need all of those things, necessarily.

A lot of bom skins are one piece, head and body. Sometimes you can also get an additional body skin that's more detailed, but it's not mandatory, the skin that comes with the head skin will look just fine. The brows usually come in the same package. I think only the new HD heads need separate ear skin. I've never messed with my ears one bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love BoM.  Would it be a stretch to say that I love it more than pizza?

It is so much easier to locate the system layer to add or remove instead of racking my brain trying to remember which applier HUD has the clear button so I could whip out another HUD to apply another tattoo, all the while forgetting I could've used the body HUD to clear everything to square one.

Those body onion layers with the alpha glitch that causes tattoos to disappear?  And be limited to only two onion layers if you want to wear multiple tattoos? I do not want to go back to those days.

Edited by Eddy Vortex
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I love BOM. I wear quite a few tattoo layers most of the time, more than I could if I relied on just appliers, and I also make my own mods. Making a tattoo layer is easy. Making an appier is more headache than it's worth to me.

I love BOM so much that I just delete appliers on sight now. I know I will never use them again, ever. 

But love more than pizza?

Hell, NO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I use a mixture of both.   I do like having a little control over intensity for makeup with appliers, though.  BOM is awesome for eliminating that awful glitching with hair and hairbases or eye shadows.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

BOM is amazing and one of the best things LL brought to creators and residents. No more alpha glitches between my hair and hair bases. No more disappearing tattoos whenever I wear a top with any transparency. You can try skins from one head on a different head and sometimes they fit well. I can wear beauty marks, freckles, blush, tats, breast veins and whatever else all at the same time. I also adore mixing and matching a head skin with a different body skin and using a neck blender to seam them together. BOM was a game changer for me.

Edited by Mercedes Avon
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Tattooshop said:

"you can now wear your favorite skin on a mesh body", but what's the use if most of them just don't fit?

This is true for many and some you just have to experiment with other heads and lots of other shapes.  Some BOM don't fit around the nose or the mouth.  

I prefer the look of the applier skins.  BOM can take a long time to find one you fall in love with.  I haven't - yet.  I like them okay.  I've never been much of a make-up user in SL.  I am a female/female but I like a natural lipstick in SL even though I may wear more make-up in real life.  The heavy BOM lipsticks I cannot stand.  I need sheer color on my lips and with the Catwa HD, I cannot figure out how to sheer the lipstick.  I want sheering BOM lipsticks only.  

I'm not a fan of BOM either but I have some.  

Honestly, I just felt the applier skins were more artistically crafted and prettier and fit better too.

And, I don't use the eyelashes too much...far too big for my liking as I want natural eyelashes, so I just hide them.  I did find a few natural eyelashes that were made for male avatars that look pretty good so I don't need to worry about needing alpha mask for lashes as mostly I don't wear any.

Also, there are far, far more applier skins I'd love to have, especially from Deetalez - her applier Catwa line is my favorite, and there are other applier skins I'd prefer to have over BOM.

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Thanks 1

BoM is the very best change since the introduction of mesh bodies.  I am currently wearing around 12 BoM layers on my face to get a unique look, and yet the server payload is the same as just one.  I could not get that look from an applier unless a creator made exactly that look, and then it wouldn't be unique.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Do I like BOM?  No. 

I find the fit is not as good also and it takes a long time to find a fit on the lips and shadows are off on the nose.  I think the bump maps look too grainy and more like a sandpaper face and the shine looks fake like a doll or greasy and I'd never use it.  I don't plan on spending much money on it as I bought one skin for my free Lilly head thinking I'd buy Izzie's nose fix for it and Izzie's nose fix doesn't fix it.  So I dropped the Lilly head completely.  I don't want shine or bump so I'll pass on the HD stuff, even the lips look greasy and it's just not me.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.