Question for the day! Do you remove friends from your list after you have not heard from them for quite awhile?

Lexie Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4838 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi

Just wondering how many of you simply keep every friendship card you ever got?  I know I do!  :smileyvery-happy:  Or do you clean them out once in awhile for people you have not talked to in a long time? 

Hmm, that makes me wonder what the average number of friendship cards is....:matte-motes-nerdy: 

I don't really every delete a friendship. Interesting that now it lets you know when someone has removed you as a friend. The only time I would remove a friend is after I muted them. No need to keep muted people on my list lol. Rarely mute tho, so I'd count my vote as a no :)

I used to collect friends. Everyone I met I tried to be friends with. Especially if they were alone. Cause I thought they needed a friend. Then I learned about drama. So I choose my friends a bit more wisely now. I wished I had known about calling cards a while back. I was in a phase where if I didn't hear from a friend in like a few days, I figured they didn't want to talk to me, so I deleted them. Then they would IM and be like, why did you delete me? So I dont get rid of friends anymore. I have come to understand that all those little avatars I meet? Yeah, they are people too.

I was thinking of implementing a policy of no friendships accepted from residents less than 30 days old. It seems like the friends that you meet once and thereafter never login again are all under 30 days in SL age. Someone who has been around awhile is not likely to dissappear so suddenly and so soon.

The more troublesome question is what to do with friends that never respond to IMs? I mean friends that you are know are online because their name is displayed in bold at the time of your friends list, but there is no response to your IMs. This is especially irritating with new residents that I helped out. I give them three strikes. If I IM them on three separate questions on different days when they are online and they do not respond, they are removed. 

It is probably not good policy on my part. I have yet to encounter a limit on my friends list so I suppose I should leave everybody listed there even if I have not seen them active in the past year. 

ps: This is what I imagine Lexie's avatar to look like in-world (the one on the left). I was close, she actually looks like the one on the right:

woman.pngthumb_sl_image.png

Yes, I remove friendship from Residents who are away from SL for extended periods of time. The reasons why are variable and decisions are made on a case by case basis.  

I like to keep friendship cards. About half of the calling cards in my Inventory where exchanged by request. I was never friends with those Residents.

I occasionally contact some of the Residents whom I have a calling card for. Some of the Residents are surprised that I have their card and that we last met in june of 2007. Friendship cards are an invaluable resources. A way to look to see where you've been and to help determine where you might want to go in the future.

I think Friendship Cards should include even more information about who, what, where and when.

I have about 100? Friendship Cards.

Um, I used to keep a freinds list. I went through different phases. I just kept them all, if the person was not heard from I would remove them. 

Then I removed all of them and just kept cards! This was odd for some. But people didn't even remember who the heck I was and sent me friend add requests...I think Imust have made zero requests to others....not sure, but I am thinking only once of twice max because they wanted to TP me and I thought I had to...but even then I think I just asked for a LM lol.

Now, zero freinds list. No way, I can't have freinds due to stalking. Yeah, people are that odd and really don't wish to connect when they get contact from a stalker. I mean,they pry or say stuff that lets me know they have talked to them...but besides a gag order I can't see why they would do this? Alas, I don't know and care not as I have to many life destroying happenings occuring to me.

I think the landlord was my last add, and I removed him weeks later and just kept the card. If I need to communicate with someone over something I look them up and IM or notecard send via profile. If they are no in there...well, bye for good then! I think I have like 2 cards in my inventory, I really need to delete those soon as well! I have a different landlord now anyway, he doesn't chat much (to me) and that is good.

Lexie Linden wrote:

Hi

Just wondering how many of you simply keep every friendship card you ever got?  I know I do!  :smileyvery-happy:  Or do you clean them out once in awhile for people you have not talked to in a long time? 

Hmm, that makes me wonder what the average number of friendship cards is....:matte-motes-nerdy: 

It varies. I have an awful lot of friends and calling cards that are 5+ years old who havent logged in for years and I keep them because I have good memories of them. Others, much younger, have been deleted simply because I have no idea who they are. I tried categorising my calling cards first into social and business and then simply into alphabetical folders but for some reason they kept getting duplicated only worsening my inventory bloat.

I do have a clear-out every now and then. My basic rule being whether I can remember who they are and secondly, if so, do I want to remember them.

I find that end up with 2 different types of friends, ones that I actually want to add to my list and those that I have to add.  For example, customers that need help with something & I need to have their edit perms to do it. I also aquire a lot of noobs on my list.

The ones I actually want as friends I never zap, but the others I do clear out now and then, because I have no clue who they are after a while and I am unlikely to ever speak to them again.

I do keep all calling cards though & I was shocked to hear that V2 actually deletes them :o

BTW any chance we will EVER have friends lists that we can sort into categories? It would make rooting out the ones I need to delete soooo much easier. :)

I recently removed a bunch from my list again. Criteria: not seen online for ages / meaningless names / people that offered friendship and never start a conversation afterwards (one month trial :matte-motes-big-grin-squint: ) If it is up to me the friends list was not a friends list but a contacts list with a couple of categories: friends-wannabee friends-business. A lot more names would still be in that list now!

I used to regularly clear out my friends list, because the popup box that said "Missie Crashestoomuch is online/offline" was very distracting, and I'm just not that sociable really. (True friends don't need to be on my friend list anyway.) However, for the past couple of years I have only removed one person from my friend list. Same with calling cards.

I keep people on my list who also use Windows Vista even if we don't speak for ages, because if I see them going online/offline frequently I can blame any issues I'm having at the same time with SL on my rubbish operating system! :matte-motes-silly:

Yes I remove often friends from my friendslist. I even made a topic about it in my pics.

Some people stay on my friendlist, but most I'll delete when I hardly speak them.

What's the use keeping people as friends, when you even don't remember why you became friends? In rl I don't call everybody my friend either.

It would be amazing if we could categorise or friends. Maybe then I would keep them all.

I keep pretty much only people I want as friends on my friends list. Then I rarely have to go through it and remove people I don't remember who are. Other people who might need advice, help or need to be able to contact me for some reason, I give my calling card.

BTW. Will 'Give calling card' that was on the pie menu in viewer 1 be returned to the new viewer?

- Luc -

Heck, I was wondering about it myself... I had to give someone my calling card the other day because I did not want to befriend that person but couldn't find a way to do it with V2.

to the OP:

I'm trying to remove all of my current friends on my list. Keeping cards is another inventory count. I'd like mine free as much as possible. I'm friendlier when I don't keep a list.

Good points calling cards.

A question about this.

Lately I received a calling card. The calling card wasn't from the person I was speaking to, but from someone else.

If I try to do this, it's forbidden.

How can you send calling cards from other people?

Hugs

Justum

Luc Starsider wrote:

BTW. Will 'Give calling card' that was on the pie menu in viewer 1 be returned to the new viewer?

- Luc -

I just checked on Viewer 2 and on Phoenix and found the following:

Viewer 2: I have my own Calling Card in my folder and I can drag it onto other avatars or into their profiles or into an object. (this is also true of every other card in my folder not just my own).

Phoenix: Calling cards cannot be dragged anywhere but Give Card is still on the Pie Menu (I also didn`t have my own Calling card in my inventory, but I do now cos my alt sent me it from V2 lol)

I also read somewhere that on V2 you can still do it the old way if you use Starlight Skin, but I haven`t tested that personally as it seems you can give them on V2 now just like any other inventory item.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4838 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.