Jump to content

Fedora 34 and voice in Firestorm


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Liv Simondsen said:

Hello guys, was anyone able to get voice to work in Firestorm on Fedora ? It seems i can't find any guide to enable it. Thanks in advance!

You will be needing 32-bit libs, but I did manage to get it to work in KDE Neon (Debian-based, so no idea how well this translates to Fedora).
See the guide at https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_voice and see how far you can get with this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

These are the 32 bit libs needed for voice to work. Some you may already have in your distro. Some you may not. However Vivox for Linux is version 3.2. a lil over 10 years old. Best to use the Windows version 4.6 in wine which included in the FS download. To activate set FSLinuxEnableWin32VoiceProxy to true in Debug Settings and restart your viewer.

marissa@marissa-VirtualBox:~/Downloads/Phoenix_FirestormOS-MarissaCustomBuildCLANGAVX2FMOD_x86_64_6.4.19.63925/bin$ readelf -d SLVoice|grep NEEDED


 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libortp.so]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libsndfile.so.1]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libvivoxsdk.so]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libvivoxplatform.so]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libvivoxoal.so.1]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libz.so.1]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [librt.so.1]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libresolv.so.2]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libdl.so.2]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libidn.so.11]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libuuid.so.1]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libpthread.so.0]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libstdc++.so.6]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libm.so.6]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libgcc_s.so.1]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libc.so.6]

 

Edited by MarissaOrloff
OCD
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

In my build of the viewers LL FS Little penguin Kokua  you have the choice of native 32bit or win64 -> winSL voice that is for 64bit wine. Most of the newer distro's and older distro's that want to go 64bit only. Give you the choice of a pure 64bit wine. I don't understand why FS  or kokua or any of them are pushing a 32bit wine voice. I guess the use of the pie menu  as default to me is the same thing.  I was so happy when LL dropped that and we got a simple right click to everything.

To me this defeats the whole purpose of having a pure 64bit system.  Do not get me wrong I been building wine multi arch for years it is called WoW-wine built it with Mgwin  inside Linux so you can use windows native binaries.

The only program I need wine for is for LLvoice because I want a true 64bit experience. I do have a multi arch system I test the old 32bit native Vivox that isn't no longer supported.

This happened because the Vivox  Developer on it had a bad experience installing Ubuntu. I read his rant that Vivox later went on to delete. Do to real developers  giving feed back.

https://bitbucket.org/Drakeo/3p-voice/src/master/

this is my build for repacking windows vivox 64bit into win64 that is then moved to  viewer-install/bin/winSL.

That said NickyD of FS team proved me wrong because I was to blind to see the use of wine llvoice in the viewer.  Live and learn proved me wrong. so I hoped to improve on it.

The only person that was wrong was Vivox Dev's that lost lot of money to Steam. Steam just made there own. I for see a true 64 bit  Steam Proton as soon as windows actually goes full 64 bit like MacOSX Linux. Windows 11 is and will, hopefully get into this century. 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Drakeo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In order to get voice chat to work on Fedora, you will need to install some 32-bit dependencies that voice chat relies on.

sudo dnf install libstdc++.i686 libidn1.34.i686 libidn2.i686 gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free.i686 gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-extras.i686 gstreamer1-plugins-base.i686 gstreamer1-plugins-good.i686 gstreamer1-plugins-good-extras.i686 gstreamer1-plugins-ugly.i686 gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-free.i686

For notifications, you will need to install Growl for Linux:

sudo dnf copr enable xenithorb/growl-for-linux -y
sudo dnf install growl-for-linux growl-for-linux-display-notify -y

These instructions work as of Fedora 34.

I also have instructions in the picks section of my profile page for getting voice chat and notifications to work various other distributions of Linux, including some of the more exotic ones (OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, Solus OS) and of course instructions for the typical standard Debian/Ubuntu based ones, if anyone needs help with any of the other Linux's. Only thing I'm missing I think is the Arch based ones, but I plan to get around to adding a section for that at some point when I get a chance to tinker around with their software packages 🙂

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Xocel said:

In order to get voice chat to work on Fedora, you will need to install some 32-bit dependencies that voice chat relies on.

sudo dnf install libstdc++.i686 libidn1.34.i686 libidn2.i686 gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free.i686 gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-extras.i686 gstreamer1-plugins-base.i686 gstreamer1-plugins-good.i686 gstreamer1-plugins-good-extras.i686 gstreamer1-plugins-ugly.i686 gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-free.i686

For notifications, you will need to install Growl for Linux:

sudo dnf copr enable xenithorb/growl-for-linux -y
sudo dnf install growl-for-linux growl-for-linux-display-notify -y

These instructions work as of Fedora 34.

I also have instructions in the picks section of my profile page for getting voice chat and notifications to work various other distributions of Linux, including some of the more exotic ones (OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, Solus OS) and of course instructions for the typical standard Debian/Ubuntu based ones, if anyone needs help with any of the other Linux's. Only thing I'm missing I think is the Arch based ones, but I plan to get around to adding a section for that at some point when I get a chance to tinker around with their software packages 🙂

Just tried this on my Fedora 34 install and can confirm that the above command works.

Thank you!! ❤️

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/31/2021 at 12:17 PM, Jenna Huntsman said:

sudo dnf copr enable xenithorb/growl-for-linux -y
sudo dnf install growl-for-linux growl-for-linux-display-notify -y

Why would you need to do this.  The prebuilt library is static NickyD.  and would only run inside the  viewer.

This means that  there is something not static about growl FS team.  Must be linked to libnotify .

Well I see it now nickyd.

Your autobuild.xml  doesn't have growel in it for  "Linux64".

This means  linking to the 32bit one . so it is pulling the 32bit growl and using it because on a merge you must have lost 64bit growl.

I will let slacker in your Jira post this.

you should push a hot fix FS team.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Drakeo said:

Why would you need to do this.  The prebuilt library is static NickyD.  and would only run inside the  viewer.

This means that  there is something not static about growl FS team.  Must be linked to libnotify .

Well I see it now nickyd.

Your autobuild.xml  doesn't have growel in it for  "Linux64".

This means  linking to the 32bit one . so it is pulling the 32bit growl and using it because on a merge you must have lost 64bit growl.

I will let slacker in your Jira post this.

you should push a hot fix FS team.

 

In my defense, I didn't actually use that part of the command, only the first sudo command, which is all that was needed.

No idea what the Growl stuff was about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Jenna Huntsman said:

In my defense, I didn't actually use that part of the command, only the first sudo command, which is all that was needed.

No idea what the Growl stuff was about.

 Your using 64bit Firestorm  but your installing 32bit libraries that's fine if you want to use 32bit native voice. When you do that  Tumbleweed will install the complete 32bit stack. but the Growl issue was a big find. And already posted it in jira. If FS enable growl that is a crash logger for them then it is linking against a 32bit library  that is bad.

During a build of Linux64  it looks for linux64 and common  if no linux64 it will pull linux. Not good! Been there done that.  This will cause the viewer to crash on startup.

I do not enable growl on my builds of FS but I am sure they do.

I am glad you all brought this up this helps FS

Edited by Drakeo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if my section about growl caused confusion or not. But just in case, I'm not talking about the in-viewer notifications you received when someone IM's or pays you or whatnot. I'm specifically talking about the feature shown in this screenshot:

 

Screenshot_20210802_081322.png

 

If the above option is enabled and you have growl installed you will get notifications from IM's and stuff on your native desktop notification system when you have Firestorm minimized. I find this helps me see when I get IM's if I have my viewer minimized while I'm playing games or doing other things.

I don't know if "growl" itself is 32-bit or not. I do know that it's an older notification thing that doesn't come in some of the newer distros, or is not in the default repositories for a number of distros, or in some cases must be built from source since no repository has it for that particular distro (Solus OS falls into this category). As it's not in the default Fedora repos, the need to add the xenithorb copr is there.

 

Edited by Xocel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...