Product groups vs amateur modeling

DeeVious Dagger

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is anyone else tired of seeing amateur modeling in product groups? Im not talking about bloggers I am talking about the thousands of photos of people looking for attention. I want to buy stuff not look at some of these lame photos. I think if a group is gonna promote products and state they are promoting products then get rid of all the ridiculous selfies. Why do product groups allow it?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, DeeVious Dagger said:

Is anyone else tired of seeing amateur modeling in product groups? Im not talking about bloggers I am talking about the thousands of photos of people looking for attention. I want to buy stuff not look at some of these lame photos. I think if a group is gonna promote products and state they are promoting products then get rid of all the ridiculous selfies. Why do product groups allow it?

I'm not sure I understand which photos you're talking about.  Do you have an example?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

I think they are complaining about people posting their "amateur" pictures in store groups Flickr groups?

Ah ok.  Well, some stores have their own private Flickr where they post their new products while having a separate group for customers to post.  Some stores only have one that's open to all.  It doesn't bother me either way.  

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DeeVious Dagger said:

Some stores WANT to see their customers wearing/using their product and think that it is actually good customer relations to have people post such pictures in their group.  Makes the store seem more friendly.

• Like 6

Store groups are not the same as the creators' own profiles. Many will have a Flickr account specifically for their product releases and information that you can 'follow' to keep up to date. The store groups are usually for anyone to post in, showing off the products from the store, which ideally would let people see cool combinations and getups for different pieces, but in reality means that many pictures won't actually be too complimentary to the products they display.

Personally I've cut my way out of most groups on Flickr, keeping only some brand ones that I'll occasionally post in. To avoid having to see all the carp though, I just set my Flickr feed to 'people only'. 

• Like 2

On 5/5/2021 at 11:37 PM, DeeVious Dagger said:

If you are referring to Flickr groups, most of those pics are not organised by or requested by the creator. They are ordinary people taking their own pics and posting them in whatever groups are relevant (and often groups that are not relevant too). Some creators open their flickr groups for anyone to post and others only post their own ads. You just need to unfollow the groups that allow public posting.

Creators don't need to pay models because they can just take photos of their own avatar, or their own alts, for free. It makes no sense to pay anyone else to stand on a pose stand wearing your clothes when you can use your own account for zero cost. So no, modelling will never be a viable career in SL.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not tired of it, I like seeing what people put together and get inspiration. Also I happen to be one of those people who posts their amateur photos on Flickr groups (as I'm not a blogger or a model for any brand). 

It's good for business for creators to let people share their photos in their Flickr groups.  I know I use Flickr to get inspiration and find new products and a lot of times I may see a vendor photo and think an item is ok but then later see how someone else has styled it and decide I HAVE to have it so I'll buy based on that (I know I'm not the only one who does this). 

Photography is a big hobby in SL and there are people of varying abilities and talents. A lot of store owners either open up their group or have groups for people to post because people like sharing what they are wearing and also creators like to see people wearing their stuff and seeing how people put things together. 

There are some things you can do: 

join/follow  Flickr groups where the brand just posts vendor pictures

join/follow groups of certain themes that are heavily moderate/invite only to keep within a certain quality or style

follow specific people you like who do higher quality photos

start your own Flickr group and invite people to add pictures that you like and keep it invite only or heavily moderate it to keep out pictures you don't.

You can also check out stores official blogs or follow their inworld groups to get only the vendor pictures.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.