Is Second Life too big now?

On 5/5/2021 at 12:09 AM, Tony Giffen said:

I became a Second Life member in 2006.  It was a confusing, complicated learning curve but I was hooked immediately.  I grew from my original 512 plot to moving toward larger plots and closer to water.  Moved to Fruit Islands all around for many years which was great as I love sailboats passing by my island.  Then moved to Blake Sea because I wanted more open water to Sail and Fly.  Lots of fun with sailboats and mermaids and mermen coming up to say Hi.   Now there is no one around.  I rented a Stilt in Bellissaria hoping to see people sailing around or walking the pier.  Nothing for three days.   I miss the days I can just sit on my land and watch boats, planes or avi's walking by.   Feels like COVID in SL

I find SL to be a terribly small world. Everywhere I go, I run into my tenants or people I knew years ago, and I have only a small rentals company on the Mainland. But it's also very sprawling and atomized, which can make you feel it is "big". I can go land on a pile of green dots that aren't bots, and I have no idea who those people are, and why they enjoy, say, dancing to C&W and listening to songs glorifying guns and "these colours don't run" and all that. Not my thing. Occasionally I discover there are people living deep, mysterious dragon lives on obscure sims where everything is still in prims and I have no idea why they can't at least go to 30L Saturday and change their planar flowers that look terrible. Etc. From what we know, SL has at most, 50,000 concurrency and the monthly uniques are obscure to me, people put out figures for that but I'm not sure if they are valid. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Odaks said:

That is not strictly true. The open fly corridor is a blessing for aviation and the waters are ideal for sailing and other water-related activities, free of ban lines and send-home security devices. 

There are the social gathering areas, too, supported by the Bellisseria residents' groups.

You quoted the wrong person btw, I never said they had no zones etc.

I have been a Belli resident since the day it opened in March 2019, with two homes, and been in many of their activities.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I can go land on a pile of green dots that aren't bots, and I have no idea who those people are, and why they enjoy, say, dancing to C&W and listening to songs glorifying guns and "these colours don't run" and all that. Not my thing. Occasionally I discover there are people living deep, mysterious dragon lives on obscure sims where everything is still in prims

Conservatives and "elders" - both hate change.  I still like flexy hair though and I am on the left side of normal.  There were early jokes about Belli being the old SLer's retirement community, where everything was done for them.   Some had just grown tired of 15 years in SL worrying about landscaping, crazy neighbors, crap in the sky, ban lines, and paying monthly tier.

I agree on most of your assessment.  You cannot even use SL Events to list a Belli event.  Why?  Not all events are for profit.  But it does keep the riff-raff from visiting Belli.  Unless you get a private invitation...

ETC.

I am in Belli for the ocean access, and  ban-line free air space (in theory).  I wish there was more nightlife for the US West Coast, but nearly all events start at 10am and last until 4pm, when half the Americans are still working.  For whatever reason, Belli was first "organized" by Europeans, which comprise much of the event crowd even today.  Not much has changed.  Maybe one or two 8pm slt events per week now.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

I think Linden homes lost their luster pretty quick. I got a Boat house and kept it a few days before abandoning it this last week. I just wanted to see if I could actually get one and it wasn't too hard. I didn't abandon because of the lack of population (I needed the tier free) even though not a single other person was on sim in the 2-3 days I made that my new standing spot.

Aren't linden homes just the place you go to when your real home region is restarting? 🤣

On 5/5/2021 at 11:00 AM, Janet Voxel said:

As long as there’s a limit to how many people you can have on a sim, you’re never going to experience a truly crowded place in Second life.

Just visit Zindra the adult area, You will find plenty of crowded sims full of AFK sex people, some to the point you cant even get in because the sim is full 😂

Which really sucks that they let a single parcel owner ruin the sim for all other people that live there.

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

In Zindra everybody can at least take their clothes of, so that a few more people can be crammed in if needed.

Somehow, tiptoeing through the tulips with Tiny Tim (naked) has suddenly become more appealing. 🤔

• Haha 1