Why does Blender always export my Collada dae as x transferred to z and visa versa

VirtualKitten

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1082 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is the norm in the world of 3D-apps, 3DCrafter and Sketchup also use a different order of the axes. I think the origin is in maths where typically the X axis is viewed as running left to right along the paper, and so Applications using the maths basis will view the Z axis is going into the paper. Others will view the Y axis as going into the paper and the Z axis as going up the paper.

My blender shows correct axis why when it gets into LSL is z swapped for x?:
ab960bdffcdb092a0878692d445cad12.png
The strange thing is its only reported in scripting that  is wrong  any ideas please? As you saw prof the axis are correct on object. Why does scripting make a mess of them? It happens to all my imports so there must be something. 

Edited by VirtualKitten

What part of your script is telling you Z is swapped for X? Are you perhaps asking for the orientation of one particular attachment relative to its bone instead of the world orientation? Z = UP is the one world direction that is consistent between Blender and SL.

Also, make sure you are using the correct sim coordinates and orientation, especially the angles. These are the angles you will get if you call llGetRot() (and convert from quaternions to Euler form and then convert the Z spin from radians to degrees) to determine which way your avatar is facing.

SLcoords.png

Edited by Quarrel Kukulcan

On 5/4/2021 at 8:34 PM, VirtualKitten said:

Why does Blender always export my Collada dae as x transferred to z and visa versaes blender always export my x axis as z axis in Collada Export ?

There are two schools when it comes to 3D orientation:

• World space: +X is forward, +Y is left, +Z is up (architectural POV, the world is mostly flat, Z only matters if there is some height).
  • Screen space: +X is right, +Y grows up, +Z is forward (screen POV, we don't change X and Y we just add Z).

Neither is inherently wrong, they simply conceptualize 3D space from a different starting point.

Edited by Kyrah Abattoir
Fixed slight mistake

I think its the scripts giving back this as the model is ok . I have found a Collada  output. This normally defaults to y instead of x for some reason :i need x forward faxing for animesh. the forward axis gets set to y why ?

9c9468ee6e9b525bba000f2bf8c85ded.png

Edited by VirtualKitten

On 5/6/2021 at 11:44 AM, VirtualKitten said:

I think its the scripts giving back this as the model is ok . I have found a Collada  output. This normally defaults to y instead of x for some reason :i need x forward faxing for animesh. the forward axis gets set to y why ?

9c9468ee6e9b525bba000f2bf8c85ded.png

The apply checkbox is not checked, so the transforms aren't being applied upon export and most likely would come back into the 3d app with rotations

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1082 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.