Click-through glass

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1077 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hi everyone....

i have a cafe display counter that i'd like to put my items for sale on. but, i can't click through the glass. is there a way to modify the existing glass or create click-through glass without making it 100% transparent? i tried making it phantom and it didn't work.

thanks!

8 hours ago, Ceilidh Noel said:

hi everyone....

i have a cafe display counter that i'd like to put my items for sale on. but, i can't click through the glass. is there a way to modify the existing glass or create click-through glass without making it 100% transparent? i tried making it phantom and it didn't work.

thanks!

If you simply want to be able to reach through the glass, to click on particular items inside, then assuming that the glass faces are on a child link rather than the root prim, I would suggest simply setting the link containing glass faces to prim physics type none (and if they were part of the root, I would relink the object to make the glass face link a child in the set). 

I'm not sure pass touches is the way to go -- that affects whether touches to child prims are passed on to scripts in the root prim, which doesn't sound like the problem here.

An alternative approach might be to have a menu linked to your cafe display counter, and use llDetectedTouchFace and llDetectedTouchSV or llDetectedTouchUV to tell which item on the menu the cafe customer touches (any experienced scripter could help you with this, or you could ask for help in the scripting forum -- once someone has explained the method, it's pretty straightforward to implement).

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

If you simply want to be able to reach through the glass, to click on particular items inside, then assuming that the glass faces are on a child link rather than the root prim, I would suggest simply setting the link containing glass faces to prim physics type none (and if they were part of the root, I would relink the object to make the glass face link a child in the set). 

I'm not sure pass touches is the way to go -- that affects whether touches to child prims are passed on to scripts in the root prim, which doesn't sound like the problem here.

An alternative approach might be to have a menu linked to your cafe display counter, and use llDetectedTouchFace and llDetectedTouchSV or llDetectedTouchUV to tell which item on the menu the cafe customer touches (any experienced scripter could help you with this, or you could ask for help in the scripting forum -- once someone has explained the method, it's pretty straightforward to implement).

hi! upon further research, it does appear that the pass touch function wouldn't necessarily apply to what i'm trying to do. but, i did learn about a new LSL function so that was helpful!

previously i had unlinked the display glass so i could work on it alone, so it became its own root prim. i have now relinked it to the rest of the counter (like it was before with the glass as a child link) and i edit linked the glass only to make that prim's physics shape "none". unfortunately, i still can't click through the glass.  :(

also, thanks for the suggestion about the menu!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ceilidh Noel said:

previously i had unlinked the display glass so i could work on it alone, so it became its own root prim. i have now relinked it to the rest of the counter (like it was before with the glass as a child link) and i edit linked the glass only to make that prim's physics shape "none". unfortunately, i still can't click through the glass.  :(

That makes me wonder about the physics of the case itself.    I can't really comment without seeing the build but I suspect the frame itself is (as far as the simulator is concerned, that is) a solid object rather than a frame surrounding empty space.

That being the case, you might have better luck with a menu (or a different counter, of course).

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

That makes me wonder about the physics of the case itself.    I can't really comment without seeing the build but I suspect the frame itself is (as far as the simulator is concerned, that is) a solid object rather than a frame surrounding empty space.

That being the case, you might have better luck with a menu (or a different counter, of course).

i checked the counter and at first it was convex hull physics shape type. then i changed it to "prim' and neither made a difference. i'm not sure if it is a solid object or a frame surrounded by empty space. i did try to unlink the display and link it to a simple cube i created so see if that would somehow make it click-through, but it didn't either.

i really appreciate you trying to help me. i suppose i could get a different counter, but i have a tight prim allotment where the cafe is going and this one is pretty low prim (while looking nice). i'm just not sure why it's not working. i've clicked through other display glass before, so i know it's possible,  i just have to get to the bottom of this lol

thank you so much for your help and suggestions!

55 minutes ago, Ceilidh Noel said:

i checked the counter and at first it was convex hull physics shape type. then i changed it to "prim' and neither made a difference. i'm not sure if it is a solid object or a frame surrounded by empty space. i did try to unlink the display and link it to a simple cube i created so see if that would somehow make it click-through, but it didn't either.

i really appreciate you trying to help me. i suppose i could get a different counter, but i have a tight prim allotment where the cafe is going and this one is pretty low prim (while looking nice). i'm just not sure why it's not working. i've clicked through other display glass before, so i know it's possible,  i just have to get to the bottom of this lol

thank you so much for your help and suggestions!

The reason it's not working is that the counter is clearly a solid object as far as the simulator is concerned (for these purposes, the simulator sees things in wireframe, and doesn't know what's transparent and what isn't).   The simulator knows you've got a big box called "counter" superimposed on a lot of little boxes called "cookies" and "donuts".   It doesn't know whether you can see the donuts or not -- it just registers that you're touching the counter.

So, my suggestion would be to make the whole counter phantom, if you can.   That way the simulator ignores any touches or collisions that occur to the counter.    And if you then want to make sure people don't walk through your counter, then protect it with some ordinary prims set to transparent, protecting the counter top and sides, but not the glass.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

The reason it's not working is that the counter is clearly a solid object as far as the simulator is concerned (for these purposes, the simulator sees things in wireframe, and doesn't know what's transparent and what isn't).   The simulator knows you've got a big box called "counter" superimposed on a lot of little boxes called "cookies" and "donuts".   It doesn't know whether you can see the donuts or not -- it just registers that you're touching the counter.

So, my suggestion would be to make the whole counter phantom, if you can.   That way the simulator ignores any touches or collisions that occur to the counter.    And if you then want to make sure people don't walk through your counter, then protect it with some ordinary prims set to transparent, protecting the counter top and sides, but not the glass.

i am so close to just taking a bat to this display glass, i swear! lol all of your suggestions really, really sound like they should do the trick, but for some reason it's not letting me still. and i'm sure it's just one simple little thing that's stopping it from being click-through. i made the entire linkset phantom, so i can walk through it now, the glass itself is set to physics shape "none" and i still can't click through.

i did send a message to the creator of the glass, maybe he has a solution. if he gets back to me, or i figure out how to get the glass to be click-through, then i'll post my findings here.

thanks for all your help. even though i still can't click through the glass, you taught me some valuable things, so i appreciate that!

The only time I've managed to click "through" something was when the something was 100% alpha in the point of the touch (which rather defeats the porpoise of visible glass cover). Why should phantom setting/physics shape have any effect on this? The script that reacts to the touch is on the server but it's the viewer figuring out which object/face you're touching.

1 hour ago, Candide LeMay said:

The only time I've managed to click "through" something was when the something was 100% alpha in the point of the touch (which rather defeats the porpoise of visible glass cover).

i have used the Saten cafe set by Roiro, and you can click through the glass, and the glass looks like glass (not just completely transparent)... unfortunately that set doesn't work with the aesthetic of the cafe i'm currently building. so i know it can be done and still look like glass, i just haven't figured out why i can't. a friend of mine came by to take a look at it, and she says it has a high LOD which could be making it harder/impossible to click through.

i really have no idea and i'm still learning.

Are you sure that, in this other build, you're not in fact touching a window that is scripted to deliver whatever is behind it?    If it's one window to an item, that's how I'd do it.

You think you're touching the item itself, but in fact you're touching the window in front of it, and the object is simply cosmetic.

1 hour ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Are you sure that, in this other build, you're not in fact touching a window that is scripted to deliver whatever is behind it?    If it's one window to an item, that's how I'd do it.

You think you're touching the item itself, but in fact you're touching the window in front of it, and the object is simply cosmetic.

no, it's not the window in front of it. it passes through to click whatever is behind it. because when you change the transparency or texture, you're no longer able to click what's behind it.

5 hours ago, Ceilidh Noel said:

no, it's not the window in front of it. it passes through to click whatever is behind it. because when you change the transparency or texture, you're no longer able to click what's behind it.

try right-click on the object behind the glass pane. If you get the right-click  menu of the object then the glass surface is 100% transparent. It might not look like it but it is

a way to get this illusion is a pane that has two surfaces. A way to think about it is, a picture with a matte. The matte surface has a hole in it and is textured to be slightly frosted round the outside edge.  The glass surface when 100% transparent allows click thru - when not 100% transparent then no click-thru

can make the matte surface so it has a few tiny fragments of solid across the hole, so when textured helps to make it all look a bit more glassy looking

when a person goes to Touch the object behind then the Touch will work. When it doesn't then they have touched on one of the solid fragments. Typically when this happens people think is a issue with their mouse, so they move their mouse and touch again

22 hours ago, Ceilidh Noel said:

I can't comment any further without inspecting the build, but I'm struggling to understand how what you're describing can be happening, given what I know of how touch events and object properties in SL work,  which suggests to me that there's some important aspects of the build that I don't know about (and can't know about without seeing the build) or that I'm misunderstanding what you're describing.    

Best of luck with it, whatever it is (scripted cabinet doors might be a workaround.   Or the menu).

Edited by Innula Zenovka

Is there any way you can build a transparent bounding box around the object that extends out through the glass which handles the touch action?

You'd want to test to be sure it didn't cause accidental touches from different angles. Depending on how far back your items are behind the glass and if there are shelves, this could become a problem.

Or what about little labels stuck on the glass with the item name which handles the touch?

Just some ideas.

1825874799_container1-Copy(2).jpg.8035590a1d455fa41a2b249bd1e2761a.jpg

Add a transparent prim, linked to the object for sale.  Edit the transparent prim to extend past the face of the glass so that the customer can touch it to purchase.  They don't see the extension, but it's attached.  Then add the item you are selling inside that object, using the original touchable object as a sales box.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1077 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.