Don't forget to put a value in "Object Return" on your parcel.

Rufferta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1059 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was just in Hailmary Pass, and there was an ugly cube in the air. I checked to see if it belonged to the owner of the parcel below - it wasn't; however, the parcel owner had 'object return' set to zero - which I think means anyone could put something in the air over your house.

The cube disappeared right after I made an abuse report, and I sent an IM to the property owner, but I've seen these things move from place to place when they find parcels with object return off.  Sort of like fleas.

Edited by Rufferta
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I kinda wish in Bellisseria that the settings on parcels were made by default so that NOBODY could turn their lot into an unlimited time sandbox.  This is unfortunately causing all sorts of issues like this through Belli.  If there is anyway for LL to set it so that at bare minimum non-owner non-group objects would return in 15 minutes that would end most of these problems

• Like 5

Hi, I'm 5 years since joined SL, I learn many things in SL but I don't know everything. Recently, I found a nice helicopter and started flying but sometimes, I crashed ( all sort of crash, not on a purpose ). Can land owner just return object on their land if they see any foreign object? If they can't return, how I do find any objects that belong to me in SL?

More info: I can find lost object like helicopter if the transponder still on but sometimes it is just invisible on radar map. I assume, that object itself crash and becomes just an object with no script running, an useless box.

It would probably help if the owner of the region is away for an extended time for some reason.

I sail the North Sea when I'm in a sailing mood. Twice, I've been booted off at sim crossings (moody crossings. We know them well). First time I went back to where I was sailing and flew in the direction I was traveling. Got lucky and found my boat (now a ghost boat) chugging along. Landed on it and sailed home to the Fruit Islands.

Second time, same Sea, same circumstances, but when I went back, I could not locate the boat. Figured it was eaten by the powers that be at sim crossings and went home (yes, I looked in my lost and found folder...nada). About a week 1/2 later, I get an IM asking if I had lost a boat. "Yes I did". The person gave me the coordinates of where it was located. I went there and sure enough, still chugging along but up against some rocks next to someones home. A happy sail back to Fruit Islands was in store.

Moral of the story: If the owner had set a return time on their parcel, I probably would have gotten my boat back in minutes after losing it, 'stead of a week 1/2 later.

Ghost boats exist. If you come across one in a part of the sea and seems out of place, IM the owner. They'll be very happy to know and will pay it forward.

Edited by Chassie Rowley
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Stephyii said:

Hi, I'm 5 years since joined SL, I learn many things in SL but I don't know everything. Recently, I found a nice helicopter and started flying but sometimes, I crashed ( all sort of crash, not on a purpose ). Can land owner just return object on their land if they see any foreign object? If they can't return, how I do find any objects that belong to me in SL?

More info: I can find lost object like helicopter if the transponder still on but sometimes it is just invisible on radar map. I assume, that object itself crash and becomes just an object with no script running, an useless box.

The land might be set to auto-return (which is what the OP was talking about) but even if it's not, the land owner can always return it manually, assuming that they log on and visit the land in order to see it (they won't be notified that someone else's object is there). If the land is rented, the tenant may not be able to do it, they might have to wait for the landlord to do so.

If your helicopter is copyable, you don't technically NEED it to be returned, you can just rez a fresh one next time you want to go flying. It's only necessary in the interest of keeping the land tidy.

There is no way to know if you have any objects still out there stuck somewhere on the grid, unless you happened to be in the region and see the blue highlight on the mini-map (I found one of my own lost boats that way, although to be fair I knew it was out there somewhere and I went purposefully looking for it). Your helicopter's transponder won't work if the helicopter has landed on a parcel that disallows scripts to run. It might also be out of range - I don't know what the range is for it. But a vehicle can cross several regions by itself after a crash; it's not necessarily in the same region you were in when you lost it.

Edited by Maitimo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moles

I'm a huge advocate of residents learning how autoreturn works and using it. If you plan on leaving build open at all on your parcel you should always pair it with autoreturn. Here are a few things about land settings many people get confused about:

-Autoreturn always defaults to 0 minutes (off) whenever a parcel is subdivided, joined or changes ownership. That includes deeding or reclaiming land to or from a group. Always check and reset autoreturn after one of these events.
-Autoreturn resets to 0 so that when a parcel changes ownership all of the content on it isn't immediately returned.
-Deeded land is different from Setting land to a group, but autoreturn will not return objects if the object is set to the same group the land is set to or owned by.
-Object entry prevents objects from being moved onto the parcel, but does NOT affect vehicles. Having autoreturn set will take care of those for you. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, Abnor Mole said:

-Autoreturn resets to 0 so that when a parcel changes ownership all of the content on it isn't immediately returned.

Given that Linden Homes parcels cannot contain any content from the previous owner when they change ownership, is it in any way feasible to have parcels in Bellisseria default to a non-zero value? 

• Thanks 1

• Moles
16 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

Given that Linden Homes parcels cannot contain any content from the previous owner when they change ownership, is it in any way feasible to have parcels in Bellisseria default to a non-zero value? 

Linden Homes are a special case in that they work a little differently when abandoned to the ownership of Governor Linden (the parcels are cleared and all objects returned when that happens), but that would be a question for the Lindens that code that system. There are other settings that would also probably benefit from a default setting such as restricting sounds and voice to the parcel. It may be a simple case of the code that resets autoreturn to 0 on ownership change supersedes any value they may attempt to have the system enter as a default.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1059 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.