Dozens of Accounts with All Cap Names & Multiple Vowels

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 994 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I get several avatars each day that are 1-2 months old, empty profiles and all of them have names which are ALL CAPS and contain multiple vowels.

Examples:  AAAAALIS, CAAALIE,  CLEORAAA, DAALVAA, DAAYNAAA, EDANAAA, JOIAAAA, MIHHAAA, etc.

Are these bots?  What the heck?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Julia Blackwood said:

I get several avatars each day that are 1-2 months old, empty profiles and all of them have names which are ALL CAPS and contain multiple vowels.

Examples:  AAAAALIS, CAAALIE,  CLEORAAA, DAALVAA, DAAYNAAA, EDANAAA, JOIAAAA, MIHHAAA, etc.

Are these bots?  What the heck?

Possibly.  Does it matter?  If so, why?

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Most of those types of bots are land survey bots of some sort - tracking how many regions & parcels are owned versus not, or tracking data for maps.

As long as they don't hang around, I ignore them.

Thanks Jewell! Good idea.

They are the most annoying creation on the Second Life grid. Just how many bots is one player allowed to even have? You (general you) just get a feeling that you know they're all owned by the same person because it's the same naming convention over and over. You ignore and ban one; another one comes into your supposedly private island. I get that LL thinks they're okay as long as they don't IM you or whatever, but seriously? The sheer amount alone is nuts! Five or six a day. Heck even a few times one after another. So yeah go ahead and ignore or block, more will take their place. There totally needs to be a limit but will LL do anything. No. They're perfectly fine. (I had to lock my island down to Payment Info on File only; unfortunately, they now rez into the renter's parcel who has no such lock down on their parcel.)

• Thanks 2

I wonder how the bots would react to land access being set to "Buy Pass"?

Does anybody make a "security tool" that uses an interrogation method like a Captcha?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I've also been getting these bots and for why it matters,  they are rezzing in WAY up in the air i just now tp'd over to one that was over one of my tenants skyboxes, so yes it matters to me!  The new bots as of this month all seem to have French names FloreChaufourier,  ManonSubercaseaux if they were just surveying land why not just tp into the landing point on the ground, i wouldn't bother with them if they did that

On 5/4/2021 at 1:26 PM, Ardy Lay said:

Does anybody make a "security tool" that uses an interrogation method like a Captcha?

There are security tools with which a parcel can be set to allow only group member as long as they have the group activated. There are also tools that allow access only to people in a white list.

There are a number of ways to keep those bots out BUT, if the parcel is intentionally open to anyone, then that includes bots, and PIOF, as mentioned earlier, might be the method to use.

However, your captcha idea sound like something I could look at adding to the security devices that I sell. Thank you for that :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 994 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.