Marketplace Restart

JJ Grant

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1063 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I actually didn't have them as I'd purchased a lot of items from one store on my original avatar.  I recently saw she put her old items back up on MP and bought the whole pack of tank/t-shirts for 50L.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/friday-BOM-Tank-Collection/19669432

When BOM was first introduced and i realized i could wear my old Bare Rose outfits again... I did a happy dance. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

When BOM was first introduced and i realized i could wear my old Bare Rose outfits again... I did a happy dance. 

The moment you realise that those outfits had been for sale all along and at the price they were when they first hit the Bare Rose store.... :

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2021 at 7:15 PM, Tazzie Tuque said:

Good grief!  MP is hard enough to get things listed on now as it is,  what with all the frequent maintenance and errors when trying to list.. I cannot imagine the fiasco if they re:booted it and everyone had to start all over again..  as a merchant, there is no way in hell I would have the time to do something like that..  and I am pretty sure I am not alone.

I don't want to see marketplace rebooted and have to see everything relisted. I have a lot of products and there's people who have way, way more than me. I also see the value in old products, I've tried to clean things up personally and I've had people message me requesting things I thought were too old to be useful but they really wanted them.

But the reason why SLMP has so many technical problems is because it's so big. When you make a listing on market place, that number at the end of the URL is the ID. Assuming it works like most database ids, it started at a low number and increments by one every time a new row (listing) is added. Looking at a listing I made a few days ago that number is around 22 million. Obviously it's only an estimate and maybe LL did something like start the number high. But my point is there's very likely 10s of millions of things on SLMP LL has to maintain to keep the SLMP website functioning. It's a pretty huge burden honestly. Granted the size of SLMP and the issues the size causes I think LL is very generous on what it takes to start up a store and start creating listings.

I don't know if it is technical doable but a mechanism like "Merchant not online inworld for a year (2 years?)? > Merchandise offline".
That would help a lot to de-clutter the MP without bothering active merchants IMHO.

Or: "An item not sold for 2 years? > offline it goes"

If the merchants thinks it is worth keeping online, he/she could activate the listing again for 2 more years.
If he/she could not be bothered, than it tells a lot about the merchants faith in the automatically unlisted product.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I don't know if it is technical doable but a mechanism like "Merchant not online inworld for a year (2 years?)? > Merchandise offline".
That would help a lot to de-clutter the MP without bothering active merchants IMHO.

Or: "An item not sold for 2 years? > offline it goes"

If the merchants thinks it is worth keeping online, he/she could activate the listing again for 2 more years.
If he/she could not be bothered, than it tells a lot about the merchants faith in the automatically unlisted product.

I'm ok with the first part, heck i have been asking for a date listed on the MP for years. 

The second, no. They barely notify us of an item being unlisted as it is.. Plus, a lot of people window shop on the MP and then purchase inworld.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1063 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.