Metahuman Creator is now available in early access

Frisur-16477_PIC1.jpg

Epic's Metahuman Creator is now out, in pre-release form. "MetaHuman Creator is a cloud-based app that empowers anyone to create photorealistic digital humans, fully rigged and complete with hair and clothing, in minutes."  You can apply for a free account. I'm in the queue.

This tool is browser-based. The heavy work is being done on Epic's server farm. The output is a file that can be read into Unreal Engine or Maya. So it ought to be possible to get  these characters into Second Life, with enough work. Unreal uses a different skeleton than SL does, but it's close enough to the bento skeleton that translation should be possible. Not easy, but possible.

Here's a technical overview. The system has automatic LOD generation, with up to 8 levels of detail. Vertex counts are tolerable by SL standards. Highest, for face closeups. is around 150,000, and lowest is around 125.

You can also take selfie videos with an iPhone and use them to generate facial animations.

Probably the biggest incompatibility is that UE4 has a real hair system, something SL lacks. So the "grooming" assets Metahuman Creator creates may not be usable..

Rendering this in SL properly needs a PBR renderer with subsurface scattering to make the skin look right. Some of the younger graphics Lindens seem to be interested in making that happen.

Game characters are about to climb out of the Uncanny Valley.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, animats said:

Vertex counts are tolerable by SL standards.

2 hours ago, animats said:

Highest, for face closeups. is around 150,000

.... SL standards.  I wonder in what reality somebody think this is a standard for a 18 year old plattform.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been trying MetaHuman Creator. It lets me generate variants on the stock human models, but I can't do much with them. Exporting to Maya is supposed to work, but doesn't. Sent in a bug report. There's a licensing restriction on the Early Access version - for now, you have to render in-game with Unreal Engine to use it for free.

It's really, really slow. It's running mostly on some server farm, takes several minutes to start, and about 15 minutes to generate a character once the settings are set. Making changes takes about 10 seconds. It requires a current generation graphics card to use all the features, but you don't have to turn on real time ray tracing. Runs in the browser. Complains that Firefox is not a supported browser but runs fine. This is on Linux; it also is supported on Windows 10 and MacOS.metahumanhi.thumb.jpg.2e4b584d23438456e38347679c178b7b.jpg

Highest LOD (0 of 0..7, smaller numbers are higher detail) You can zoom in on the eyes and all the detail is there.

metahumanlo5.jpg.fad99e01d19328a4ee698fb26987e896.jpg

LOD 5 (of 0..7) Just to see what a lower LOD is like. Below LOD 2, the hair drops to a simplified system.

No vertex counts; I haven't been able to download anything useful yet. However, published numbers are in the ranges we see for SL avatars. Don't yet know how compatible the assets will be with SL. The body bones are about the same, but I'm not sure about facial structure.

Anyway, that gives you an idea of what the latest generation of tools looks like.

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, animats said:

However, published numbers are in the ranges we see for SL avatars.

So, published numbers show that this does NOT belong into SL nor into any other multiplayer 'game', same as 90% of the current mesh content in SL, that is nothing more than a lag producing high-poly ddos-like attack to every SL user.

Edited by Tonk Tomcat
  • Thanks 1
59 minutes ago, Tonk Tomcat said:

So, published numbers show that this does NOT belong into SL nor into any other multiplayer 'game', same as 90% of the current mesh content in SL, that is nothing more than a lag producing high-poly ddos-like attack to every SL user.

It's more 30% bad content, 70% how we use it. (not saying the content isn't bad, just that we're so far past that being the main problem).

Avatars meshes are bad. Avatars being made from a dozen overlapping independently rigged meshes is what's stealing your lunch money.

30% bad mesh is like, very unrealistic. I never see anybody who's wearing optimized mesh. You can go to every event you want and check the meshes there. Or go to all "famous" stores and inspect their meshes. There are a handful of the more known creators who really create optimized meshes, but the majority rushes out highpoly sh*t only. And you can inspect all the avatars running around to see the polycount: 100-300k tris in the shoes, 100k+ tris pants, 150k+ tris tops, + avatar + hair + a ton of accessories. It's easy to see avatars with over a million polygons and way over 500mb of textures. And to just have a clue: A current triple A multiplayer game character has close arround 100k tri count, per character. So yes, the meshes are lagging down everybody, and thats something LL can't fix with "improving" anything in the background, because every single thing we see has to be rendered by the graphics card. The majority of SL meshes does not belong in here or anywhere else. It's a nice to see thing for taking some pictures and take off after, but def nothing to run around and forcing others to have to render all that sh*t on their machines. And yes, in my eyes that's the main problem. Compared to the earlier days of SL we was able to move and walk around, even if there was more than 10 ppl around. The only thing besides some rubber-banding was the grey avatars. Nowadays my computer sounds like a starting aircraft when i go to some events, and thats all because of highpoly meshes.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Tonk Tomcat said:

30% bad mesh is like, very unrealistic.

In terms of the impact it has on performance .. bad high poly mesh is just plain bad - it's bad, don't get me wrong. animating a dozen meshes on an avatar is something else entirely.

I work on the Catznip viewer with kitty, profiling viewer performance (with external tools) has consumed a significant amount of our lives lately.

Yeah, it all adds. But, let's say, you layer optimized rigged meshes, the impact should be way less, no? Because the rigging in the end is the weighted paints on all vertices. Less vertices = less weights = less impact on performance. If you wear high-poly rigged meshes, there's a ton of rigging information for that mesh, so in the end, the polycount is a significant source of lag for the rigging again.