Blocking and such and posting pictures.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1079 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know when you block someone in SL that person can still see you and what you say, but it just blocks you from seeing them. I assume that the same thing happens when you ignore someone in the forums. On Flickr I can't find any way to block people, which wouldnt really do much good anyway because people can just make a new account if the want to harass you. If you post to the forums from Flickr anyone on the forums who sees the post can get access to your Flickr just by clicking on the picture. Is there another site to post pictures from that offers more privacy, that people cant get on and post annoying things on your pictures? 

There are numerous options for websites you can use to upload images, I mainly use Flickr and ImgBB, the latter when it's something I want to upload temporarily or something I don't necessarily want to put in my Flickr feed. There's also Gyazo, but that I mostly use for direct snaps and gifs, ImgBB allows a higher resolution and can be uploaded either temporarily or permanently - without having any account there.

Though I don't see why the inability to block someone would be reason to not share your Flickr. If they break any rules over there, including harassing you, you can report them there just as you can here. You also can remove comments from your pictures on Flickr.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BiliEyelash said:

I know when you block someone in SL that person can still see you and what you say, but it just blocks you from seeing them. I assume that the same thing happens when you ignore someone in the forums. On Flickr I can't find any way to block people, which wouldnt really do much good anyway because people can just make a new account if the want to harass you. If you post to the forums from Flickr anyone on the forums who sees the post can get access to your Flickr just by clicking on the picture. Is there another site to post pictures from that offers more privacy, that people cant get on and post annoying things on your pictures? 

I think Snapzilla is still a going concern? It's been used a lot for SL in the past, but I'm not sure what safeguards there are. You could ask @Cristiano Midnight about it; it's his baby.

There is a block feature on Flickr.  Go to that person's page and scroll down to the bottom I think.  It say block this user or something like that

Not sure if it's a Pro feature 

Edited by Rowan Amore

9 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

There is a block feature on Flickr.  Go to that person's page and scroll down to the bottom I think.  It say block this user or something like that

Not sure if it's a Pro feature 

Blocking on Fickr unfortunately does not hide your pics from someone -- so far as I know, it merely prevents them from faving them or commenting on them. (I know this because I'm blocked by someone on Flickr. Don't ask.)

Flickr is all about inspiration and positive interactions. If another member is ruining that experience for you, you can block them from adding comments, notes, tags to your profile and stop them from contacting you through FlickrMail. 

Once blocked, they also won't be able to add your photos to galleries or mark them as their Faves.

https://help.flickr.com/en_us/block-or-unblock-someone-in-flickr-HksthQjy7

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra

Try Imgur. I've been very pleased with it.

https://imgur.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think Snapzilla is still a going concern? It's been used a lot for SL in the past, but I'm not sure what safeguards there are. You could ask @Cristiano Midnight about it; it's his baby.

It is. Just pop over to VVO and look for it and the support threads.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Blocking on Fickr unfortunately does not hide your pics from someone -- so far as I know, it merely prevents them from faving them or commenting on them. (I know this because I'm blocked by someone on Flickr. Don't ask.)

I didn't think she was concerned about someone seeing the pics since she's posted some here.  Just blocking them from commenting or faving or messaging.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I didn't think she was concerned about someone seeing the pics since she's posted some here.  Just blocking them from commenting or faving or messaging.

Rereading what she's said, I think you're right.

Personally, I am kind of astonished that Flickr doesn't offer a way to prevent particular people from viewing your pics.

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Rereading what she's said, I think you're right.

Personally, I am kind of astonished that Flickr doesn't offer a way to prevent particular people from viewing your pics.

You CAN set your pics so only friends can view if I remember correctly.  Not at my computer so I can't check.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

You CAN set your pics so only friends can view if I remember correctly.  Not at my computer so I can't check.

True, although I've never tried that feature. I guess what I meant is that you can't restrict a single person (or handful of people) from viewing them . . . unless you make everyone else following you "friends" or "family."

It's not a very precise mechanism. Something surgical, rather than involving the use of a sledgehammer, might be a nice addition to the platform.

• Like 1

There is no requirement to post from Flickr. Saving the images on your computer and posting from there works quite well. If your hard drive space is limited, use a cheap thumb drive from the dollar store, or a free online service such as google drive. Then only tell people here what your Flickr address is if you want them to see your photos.That only applies of course, if the comments you are receiving come from someone in the SL community. 

Edited by Bagnu

3 hours ago, Bagnu said:

There is no requirement to post from Flickr. Saving the images on your computer and posting from there works quite well. If your hard drive space is limited, use a cheap thumb drive from the dollar store, or a free online service such as google drive.

The advantage of using Flickr or Imgur or other photo hosting site is that the picture is not actually being uploaded to the SL forums and thus the size limitations aren't applicable.

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It's not a very precise mechanism. Something surgical, rather than involving the use of a sledgehammer, might be a nice addition to the platform.

If your pictures are "safe", then they can be viewed without having to login. And even if they are moderate/restricted, then setting up another account takes roughly a minute. So it would be absolutely useless addition as far as privacy is concerned.

And it's not even a problem with flickr, but with the system/people in general. Even take SL as an example. Either you check "only friends/groups can call or IM me" or you deal with unwanted kind of IMs at times. There's no middle ground, and blocking avatar does not stop them from being able to check your profile/feed/etc, nor does it help with their alts if they have them

Something is very wrong then. I only knew how to post directly from my computer when I started here. I only learned how to post from Flickr a few months ago .Have you tried "choose files"? I just did and it worked for me.

Test.png

33 minutes ago, BiliEyelash said:

I cannot post directly from my computer, maybe because i am new, but the option to post from my computer isn't there

Do you not have this option at the bottom of your posting window?

image.png.3e408b2dbadadc4c19057678810d9e96.png

The last set of forum changes did put in some restrictions for new accounts and I don't know if the 'attach files' option is part of that or not.  Since your forum account is less than a week old, I can see that such restrictions on attaching things might be there.  Another reason to just link the picture from a hosting site.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

6 minutes ago, BiliEyelash said:

Nothing at the bottom of the box except "insert image from URL" on the far right. 

Likely a "new account" restrictions then.  It will likely show up after your forum account is anywhere from 7-30 days old.

18 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The advantage of using Flickr or Imgur or other photo hosting site is that the picture is not actually being uploaded to the SL forums and thus the size limitations aren't applicable.

I don't know if this is a consideration of the OP's or not, but one potential disadvantage of linking from Flickr (or Imgur) is that it leads directly back to one's pages on that platform. It is possible the OP prefers to keep their Flickr account (assuming they even have one) quiet, or at least not easily findable by people on the forums?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1079 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.