Best Farmland Locations?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1082 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello forum, I'm very new to SL and looking for suggestions on best place to purchase farmland. I've been searching the land map and a few realty companies, and have located several plots for sale, but being new I have no idea of which areas would be best. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

@CruelN10tions

I would recommend looking on the mainland continents of Jeogoet, Satori and Corsica, as they're mostly big, wide, flat and have lots of abandoned land parcels.

If you want to add in (terraform) some water irrigation channels, rivers or lakes, get a parcel as near to the water table altitude of 20 metres, as continent's central interiors are usually at a much higher altitude where terraforming down to water level (at 20 metres altitude) is either very difficult or impossible. Alternatively, buy mesh water features to rez out and simulate it instead, as their realism and quality has improved a lot in recent years.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen

@SarahKB7 Koskinen @Rabid CheetahThank you very much for the responses. I will definitely take a look at the continents suggested. I'd been watching some youtube videos and reading up on SL land ownership, and based on your responses here I think I may have misunderstood a few things 🤪. I was under the impression that land was zoned for certain activities; residential, commercial, etc and that zoning also included agricultural/farming land. I thought that I would need to purchase land in a specific area(s) in order to build a farm (w/barns, animals, crops, etc.).  It made sense, as I guessed that people living in certain areas wouldn't want a a farm next door, for aesthetic reasons. Thank you both again 😊

3 minutes ago, CruelN10tions said:

@SarahKB7 Koskinen @Rabid CheetahThank you very much for the responses. I will definitely take a look at the continents suggested. I'd been watching some youtube videos and reading up on SL land ownership, and based on your responses here I think I may have misunderstood a few things 🤪. I was under the impression that land was zoned for certain activities; residential, commercial, etc and that zoning also included agricultural/farming land. I thought that I would need to purchase land in a specific area(s) in order to build a farm (w/barns, animals, crops, etc.).  It made sense, as I guessed that people living in certain areas wouldn't want a a farm next door, for aesthetic reasons. Thank you both again 😊

MAINLAND (land that is owned by Linden Lab and that you pay tier directly to them) has no rules (except a few special places like Linden Homes lands).   PRIVATE lands may indeed have rules such as "no clubs" "no breedables" etc.  I am guessing that farming might get lumped in with breedables because of the scripts. So yes, mainland would likely be best. Just look at the BIG continents on the map :D 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 5:07 AM, CruelN10tions said:

Hello forum, I'm very new to SL and looking for suggestions on best place to purchase farmland. I've been searching the land map and a few realty companies, and have located several plots for sale, but being new I have no idea of which areas would be best. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Find abandoned land which is everywhere and cheaper than what companies sell often. It may not be waterfront or a prim location but think of it is as your starter lot until you get a better feeling for land and location. Fly around and find huge open areas with lots of abandoned land. Pick out 1024 or 4096 and send a ticket to the Lindens, they will sell it for $1/m.

11 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Find abandoned land which is everywhere and cheaper than what companies sell often. It may not be waterfront or a prim location but think of it is as your starter lot until you get a better feeling for land and location. Fly around and find huge open areas with lots of abandoned land. Pick out 1024 or 4096 and send a ticket to the Lindens, they will sell it for $1/m.

This has the benefit of certainty, and I have found the Linden land team very responsive and helpful when they get to your ticket. Another alternate, though a gamble, is to ask Linden Lab to set the land for auction. If you are the only bidder you will get it for 0.5L$/m but clearly it could attract other interest and so you may regret not paying 1L$/m.

14 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I've done this and it's SO much better than those auctions. At least you know you are getting the land.  You pay the same in Tier fees so the price is worth it.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1082 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.