The Cost of Linden

Masterslilsecret

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

As with any RL currency exchange, the rates for buying and selling L$ will vary depending on supply and demand. Linden Lab does occasionally add or remove money from the exchange as a way of keeping the rates from fluctuating too rapidly.  That's what national banks do in RL as well. In the end, though, individual residents control trends in the market by whether they are selling more than buying, or vice-versa.

• Like 1

I understand the price raise my concern was the price raise with the lower amount of linden per purchase. A little under 6 months ago I was purchasing around 19000 linden for 71.49 then noticed that it has steadily been decreasing. Now I purchase linden for 75 and some change for 16800 now no offense to anyone but that is a significant change in linden amount.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Masterslilsecret said:

I understand the price raise my concern was the price raise with the lower amount of linden per purchase. A little under 6 months ago I was purchasing around 19000 linden for 71.49 then noticed that it has steadily been decreasing. Now I purchase linden for 75 and some change for 16800 now no offense to anyone but that is a significant change in linden amount.

While the rate does fluctuate, like any money exchange, the fluctuations have been fairly constant over the previous 90 days - though currently in a low swing.

image.png.e361eaa8a6accc23cb450e513d32c641.png

Though I do wish I could get the above data for the last year or two.  In some ways it doesn't seem that long ago that it was running round 250 L$ per US $, but I know that it really was a few years past.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

20 hours ago, Freefrom Rage said:

The problem is that depending on how much you buy now, your fee increases. That's just so unfair. Why did they change the standard fee???

costs of doing business goes up, they pass some of the fee's to us the consumer,  trying to absorb it all will lead to them not making money and that's bad for us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is no such thing as a free lunch.
LL is a company, and that means it has to make money to pay the bills AND make a profit.
All the free homeless accounts don't bring in a cent.
The L$ they take from the Marketplace are only money sinks to them, because they print the L$ themselves.
They only make money on the L$ when there is more demand than offered on de Lindex.
So they make their money from the free accounts (if any at all) with land and with exchange fees.

When RL prices go up (and they do all the time, every year) there is very little LL can do than higher their prices too over time. Just like any other business.
Premium, land and exchange fees. That are the only prices they can fiddle with to get their money.

It is simply inflation.
In my youth I got the amount of 2,5 guilders (= somewhere around 1.10 Euro) to go to the yearly fair in town. And there I had the time of my life. Price for a ride? Around 5 cents. So I could do 20 of them.
Now a simple ride is at least 1 Euro, most are 2 or higher.

LL left in the 14 years that I'm around in SL the prices very long periods untouched. Seems they have reached the point where that is no longer possible.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

LL left in the 14 years that I'm around in SL the prices very long periods untouched.

that's partly... they did touch prices quite some times past years.
If it were for inflation... they should raise prices every year with the inflation rate ... not with hundreds of procents at a time.
This system allienates them from their users...or otherwise round, but it's not making the bond stronger.

The fees went up pretty steep, that is true.
I guess making Tilia's books look good is essential for them too at the moment.

They want that to become (finally after al these years) their second egg in the basket.

and again the lindens drop as I pay more now I am down to 16,730. This is no offense getting crazy. I don't mind the extra (tax persay), but what I do mind is the fact that yet again the Linden flux has taken a dip when the taxes have gone up. At this point I am starting to rethink Second Life.

2 hours ago, Masterslilsecret said:

the fact that yet again the Linden flux has taken a dip when the taxes have gone up.

As far i know both are a "no"... i buy (limit) for 248/1 or 249/1 for a long time, last time on past saturday.
There's also not tax raise, but the buy fee that LL takes has changed a while ago, thats is the extra cost and gives the feeling of a lower exchange rate.

I did not mean taxes as in literal. I understand the buy fee. But when you have the buy fee and you keep lowering the amount of linden that you get when you purchase it, it kind of makes you not want to buy it anymore. As I stated earlier approx. now 7 months ago I was purchasing Linden at 71.49 for close to 19k in linden now I am only receiving 16,730 for 75 and some change USd.

15 minutes ago, Masterslilsecret said:

As I stated earlier approx. now 7 months ago I was purchasing Linden at 71.49 for close to 19k in linden

Extremely unlikely or very much exaggerated --- that comes out to roughly 267 L$ per US $1.00.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

Because as @Rolig Loonsaid, 

39 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

As with any RL currency exchange, the rates for buying and selling L$ will vary depending on supply and demand. Linden Lab does occasionally add or remove money from the exchange as a way of keeping the rates from fluctuating too rapidly.  That's what national banks do in RL as well. In the end, though, individual residents control trends in the market by whether they are selling more than buying, or vice-versa.

That can change from hour to hour.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.