Sign in to follow this  
netris

A newbie looking into SLRP. Questions, yammering, etc.

Hey guys!

Okay, so I'm sorry if this has been posted a million times but I really don't know where to start.  I have a history in blog and forum RPing, but nothing on SL.  In fact, I'm pretty new to SL in general.  I've been browsing through the RP lists and there are so many that look incredible.  I'm just not sure which ones would be, I don't know, *patient* with my noobness.  I'm really open to anything!  Especially sci-fi or dark urban settings. 

What do mods look for in RP applications?  How lengthy are history sections usually?  How "prose" do you have to be?  I know a lot of it is action oriented like "/me etc, etc" but how in depth are you all with your responses?  I'm sure it depends on the game but I have absolutely no idea where to start.

So if you guys have any tips or game reccomendations I would be FOREVER indebted to you!  If anybody is launching new games or looking for new players, I'll be up for diving in if you wouldn't mind a noob in your midsts.

Most RP here is simply wearing the avatar and talking the talk.  You are surrounded by the scenery of the RP and your fellow RPers are in character with you -- it's a snap. 

Be advised that the biggest problem society-wise is that we have people who think nothing here is real and it's RPing, and we also have people who insist that SL and real life are the same thing.  So when you mix the two, you have complications.

Here's the best part of SL..It's all of the above.  It is really more the group than the location and often those groups migrate.  I have the same RP friends for some time and though we don't RP much anymore, we tended to move from region to region.

It can be whatever you want.  The most complex are the Gorean sims though not my taste with the Urban Blight and Si-Fi right behind.

Each will have their own rules and there own style.  Second Life is a user generated community. Each group has built their own theme, land and format since in most cases, they also pay for the rental of that sim each month.

Go to search and look up Role Play.  You will get a ton of returns.

Travel to each, obtain a visitor/observer tag and read the notes before you enter. Then enter the region and watch. If you like what you see, join in based on the rule for that sim and see if its what you like. It may take some time but there is something for everyone.

When shopping for a sim, decide on your genre, then wether or not you want to text RP or use a meter (quite a few sims use both).

Read the sim rules. Sometimes you can just jump in, sometimes you need to submit a character sheet. And remember to dress appropiately (i.e no furries in a Gor sim).

Also, half the time, the sim you are in might be empty. In that case, you may need to find other things to do.

Thanks guys!  For the past week I've been spending some L to snazz up my avatar a bit.  It's good to know that the RP community here is friendly and easy-going on the noobs.  SO... do any of you have suggestions for good newbie RPs?  Or light sims?