Inventory Spring Cleaning Challenge

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1088 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Years ago, Philip urged people to clean their inventories in the spring. I asked him if thousands of people suddenly deleting lots of stuff would disrupt the servers, and he thought about it and said "no," but then, I'm not sure.

No one suffers from the problem of too many deletions now, it's more like bloated inventories and lost inventories. I've had some really bad patches of lost inventory, once totally 15,000 items, many original gatcha items with no-copy. It got so bad I couldn't even log on. The Lindens had to seize my account for a few days, and run scripts on it to remove corrupted items and then sort stuff hanging off the top layer into folders like "Inventory A-K" and "Notecards 2017". I wouldn't have sorted it that way, but they did, and at least it got me logged on again. This was a year ago. I vowed to stay at 150,000.

Now I'm at 174,000. And like the end of lockdown in some areas make people who have been living in a mumu for a year realize they can't fit into their jeans anymore, Fantasy Faire makes me ashamed -- I made a special folder for all Faire purchases -- by the time you count the gatchas and the unpacked items with HUDS etc it's hundreds of items, and the quest look will add hundreds more, so I could immediately start deploying some of it. I was shocked to find this creator I hadn't seen all year and realize I still had his lovely tinker set in inventory, though I had wanted to put it out in my elf center. And so it goes. Lots of stuff languishing in inventory.

So here's my challenge: to reduce to 150,000 again by June 1. Maybe you will join me. I actually don't think I will make it. If I did 1000 items a day, that's 20 days, and I won't manage that many with RL work and SL chores.

There are some things to do to make you feel virtual, but it's like losing water weight:

o go through your calling cards sorted alphabetically -- the system went on a jag at one point and duplicated all of them dozens of times (and it still does that now and then) so those are easy cuts

o certain things like "nose rings" I will never wear. They come by the boatload at quests, freebies, etc. They can be deleted unexamined as far as I'm concerned.

o then there are things like that Yasum Christmas tree maybe 5-6 years ago? It had like 100s of presents, some of them great. But you don't need a headband with Christmas jingles on it in 8 different colours. One would do. Or none.

o You may have 6 copies of the WRONG beds you individually bought for 30L because they keep reappearing and you can't get your inventory to load and see if you bought it before. I wish more merchants would have that system like DDD and Muniick that instantly return any cash you pay for something you already bought. That's a big help!

o Many merchants put in Unpacker, Give Everything But Scripts, hold animations, and other assorted junk in their boxes you unpack -- out it all goes.

o You could consider deleting every single book mark. Or maybe after your top 100. Most of them are probably abandoned land now or their landing point changed. Some I hang on to for nostalgic reasons as the places don't exist. But really, they could all go.

o Same for all those READ ME, IMPORTANT, DON'T READ THIS (haha fooled you), TOP SECRET notecards that merchants put in their boxes to tell you that...you need to set RenderVolume to 4.125. They deliver this news as if it is the Secret of the Ancients, and claim it helps you see not only sculpties but mesh. It doesn't always. But there is almost nothing in these cards worth having. You can glance at them to be sure. But most put the TOS (if full perm) either on their own web site or on the MP helpfully so you can check it there if you are unsure about their license or how their item functions.

So now you've jogged off the water weight, how to really get at that ugly fat?

o I have several boxes I started inworld with names like 'CLOTHES NEVER TO BE WORN" OR "LEGACY" items that I can't bear to delete, but really should. And that's that game here, getting things into boxes to put inworld. They have just as much chance of being lost out of inworld box on a sim than they do inside of inventory -- maybe less. I've lost lots of things out of inventory, but never an inworld box, even when all the sim's contents  have mysteriously returned after Linden re-sets or whatever. Minachu has a game piece inventory cabinet and What Next has these metal storage boxes where you can put labels on things, so I use those but any box would do you make yourself.

o I try to delete all sound files that were put into a music box because...they're in the music box. On my own computer, too.

o I also try to put all textures in with the folder of either the thing I made, or the thing I bought made by someone else which I modified. At least it makes me feel virtuous. I don't know if getting more stuff filed into deeper levels of folders will actually stop the failure of search of inventory, or the slip of the cursor, but it might help.

o Gatchas are a pain to sell on the MP because of the time required to set up the page for them. They sell a lot better on the MP than inworld, quite frankly, at least that's my experience -- I have quit all my gatcha mall and yard sale booths because they rarely make past the rental fee. Long ago I noticed the tenants I had who are power gatcha sellers would sell them at really low prices -- like half price or less. Like 25L or 10L even. Because then they'd sell them all out and bring back customers, and sell a few more expensive things. Whereas setting them at 50L even if below pull, they never sell. Mieville has gatcha yard sales where you can set up -- one is coming in June. You donate $1/prim but then priced at 25L you still do pretty well. Or they have you donate them for a cause like RFL or whatever. You can find others using yardsales for charity so join them. I also have gatcha gift givers all over. Why not? Again, things like the 10 different colours of headbands, why not give away to someone who wants them?

Still, I'm not there yet. There is a steep road ahead where this has to happen:

o sideboards with flashing textures that might look good at one angle -- no, nobody will look at them from that good angle. Out they go.

o Skyboxes that never rent. Ever. In their lives.

o Old prim houses that no one will live in anymore. Unless made by Desmond Shang.

o If I really had some determination, anything called "Object" would by its very nature be deleted, especially many yards in. Because if I didn't care enough about it to find it and re-name it up til now, even if it's that one part to a build by a builder who has left SL, well, too bad. Make a new one. It's insane. I see there are hundreds and hundreds of "objects". Like "New Folders". And "Notecard".

The question is not going to be: does it spark joy? We're way past that. Most of this stuff doesn't spark anything but lag and grey squares. There ought to be a rule: if I can't see it after 15 minutes, delete it unless it's a surprise egg made by Alia Baroque or 3rd_Eye_Perception, you know? 

• Like 3

The scripted unpacker box that gives you a folder of items is really starting to get old. I liked it a few years back when it was first used but currently it's  feels like wasted clicking on buttons. One box is fine but I regularly get many boxes from demos to gifts and the whole process becomes tedious. It feels like a process that was created to help a store owner but does not help the customer. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

The scripted unpacker box that gives you a folder of items is really starting to get old. I liked it a few years back when it was first used but currently it's  feels like wasted clicking on buttons. One box is fine but I regularly get many boxes from demos to gifts and the whole process becomes tedious. It feels like a process that was created to help a store owner but does not help the customer. 

Not to mention it's extremely, EXTREMELY easy to make a script that doesn't give itself or holding animations, but almost every merchant uses something they got for free 10 years ago...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cinos Field said:

Not to mention it's extremely, EXTREMELY easy to make a script that doesn't give itself or holding animations, but almost every merchant uses something they got for free 10 years ago...

And the holding animations are one thing, but some merchants have you do a whole goofy dance when you unpack, and if you were on a posestand, you have to re-sit on it afterward because the dance overrode it.

Double packaged stuff is so annoying, especially if its a demo, and the scripts it leaves behind. I have around 70.000 items in my inventory, and I feel like it's already too much, a lot of it I don't use because I have moved on to a different body, but I probably also have stuff I will never use, I feel like Second life is such a shopaholic world, you feel like you need something every time there is a event which is all the time, so I buy stuff without a second thought at times, however I have for the most part stopped playing gachas at least and I try to think over if I really need something or if I will end up using whatever it is.

• Like 1

I seldom stray over 10,000 objects in any of my avies' inventories. Neph's been over that for a little while now as I've been lazy .. Might be time for a spring cleaning there. Mina's inventory was recently reorganised which both helped with navigation, and getting rid of some trash. Generally I try to always sort things as I buy them to avoid build-up of stuff that needs to be sorted, but sometimes that fails and I end up with folders named 'SORT ME'. Still haven't finished unpacking some of the Christmas gifts, for example ..

3 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I could never do that, Aeth. Not in a million years.

My inventory has never even reached 20,000.

I'm currently at 9,800.

I am going to do some spring cleaning over the course of the next week. I hope to get back below 200,000

I keep telling myself that I'm going to, but I just can't seem to make myself actually do it.  When I was approaching 150k before this past holiday advent season, I swore to myself that I'd take time to clear some stuff out, but I think I've only done 2-3 inventory session since then and only cleared out a thousand or so items.  I'm over the 150k now, but still find all sorts of excuses to not do any cleaning.

12 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

Last time I sorted my inventory I cleared 20,000 items just pruning outfit folders. 

Same, but I climbed back up.  When I buy items, I delete all but my size, and when I make stuff I try to make sure I don't have double or tripple or more, such as each original plus the boxed item and the demo too.  It's work to delete stuff every day but I do my best.  I also delete all notecards I don't need now.

I did do half or more of my Spring cleaning in real life though.  That was great!  It's a good feeling to clean out what isn't needed but it's work.  

Some old items I had for a few years and actually wore a heck of a lot, I put all of those in a box and then took the box back to my inventory as I want to use the new items I have now.

Edited by FairreLilette

I regularly work on my inventory.
At the moment I'm rearranging my texture archive and I trow the real garbage ones I collected over the 14 years out.
So no real spring cleaning needed.

When that project is finished, I will start to overhaul my archive folder.
I expect that sorting that one out, will become a multiple year job.  😱

I try to stay on top of my inventory all the time.  Whenever I log in, I try to unpack and sort at least 5 things before I start doing other stuff.  Last week, I went through my trash folder and purged everything as well as my notecard folder.  I did have an in-world box that I had put a bunch of stuff in but I must have lost it in a move and probably purged it last week.  Owell.....

Just now, Eddy Vortex said:

Sometimes we think, "meh, i'll do it tomorrow", then tomorrow turns into next week, etc., etc.

I have a folder called 'THURSDAY' in one of my inventories, that I was supposed to sort through on a Thursday when I had a clear schedule .. That was 2 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I organise as I go and spending 5-10 mins after a new purchase to do that is worth not having to spend hours/days later.  I have about 66,000 items now which has and continues to grow fairly slowly and I am happy with that.  I can pretty much find anything I have within a minute even if I forget what it is called.  I have had several major purges over the years otherwise I would probably be over 500K by now.  My purges don't need to be done as often as annually though.  There are definitely items I don't want/need any more but I often delete those as I encounter them.

I think I pretty much have it under control.

• Like 3

My inventory is sitting at around 60k and I'm not at all concerned about that. I regularly delete store landmarks, scripts and notecards (though I'm probably due to do that again soon). 

I keep telling myself that one day I am gonna delete all the clothes for mesh bodies I will never own. I've already got rid of most of the standard sizes (though I keep some old favourites if I can make them work somehow). 

On 4/30/2021 at 3:25 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

I keep telling myself that I'm going to, but I just can't seem to make myself actually do it.  When I was approaching 150k before this past holiday advent season, I swore to myself that I'd take time to clear some stuff out, but I think I've only done 2-3 inventory session since then and only cleared out a thousand or so items.  I'm over the 150k now, but still find all sorts of excuses to not do any cleaning.

I really started working at it this last week. But I keep staying at the same level because I get new things or unpack boxes. But I hope to make progress.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1088 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.