Open collar?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1054 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

23 minutes ago, Chaser Zaks said:

As long as the scripts remain full perm, it falls within the GPLv2 license.

You can always get the scripts for free at:  https://github.com/OpenCollarTeam/OpenCollar

if I remember right people that do sell collars using opencollar keep the scripts open and just sell their object.   been a long time since I tinkered with anything rlv.

Yes !

It's pure evil that anyone would have the nerve to charge 999 Linden for something that they worked on for years so it could be given away for free, open source and all, all those wasted hours of development, debugging and support, they should be paying for the privilege of someone wearing their work locked securely around you avatars neck all day every day providing a whole range of complicated permission based features. What right do they have thinking it's some kind of sentimental artifact or central to point of your avatars lifestyle. I for one don't see how a 4 dollar cup of coffee can even compare to this madness, they should be happy to do it for the exposure especially if you're gonna show it off to all your friends, and then have your 3DSM Master send them notecards and request features, he's really important and shouldn't have to suffer the indignity of some programmer begging for their lunch money, they should have a little class, or maybe host a class to people know how all the features work together to give a seamless and thrilling experience thanks to the R-El-BEE (where ever that came from), no one here should be a pushover, or even a little submissive to these demands, not when it's literally freedom at stake.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

The ones who are greedy are the people who make a simple collar and use the work of someone else (open collar) that is given away free and then THEY charge 999L.  Sounds like someone from a recent nuked thread who was complaining about LL being greedy.  Hmm

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The SL market is an almost pure perfect market.  This means that anyone can charge anything they like.  It also means that anyone can enter the market and undercut them.  Nothing in the market is essential to life, so no-one feels pressured to buy at any price.

I am thinking of copying the 999L collar and selling mine for 599L.  Think I'll sell more? 

Of course, it may be a crap-looking collar, in which case we both loose our shirts, unless I cut my price to 5L, in which case...  After all, it's just software, I don't need to buy any raw materials, and by the time I get to that point all my costs are sunk-costs.

The main issue, however, is that SL is an unregulated market, which means that suppliers are free to engage in cartel-forming, and price fixing.  Which, IMHO, is why some things are so damned expensive.

• Like 1

FYI, the "Temple of the Collar" is not associated with the OpenCollar group, and has not been since 2017.  It is owned by a private collar maker using a partly closed source fork of OpenCollar V 6, and in my opinion, can charge what the market will bear.  On the other hand, OpenCollar is an open source, freeware distributor of the OpenCollar scripts; the current version is OpenCollar V8.   Our scripts are covered by the GPL V2.  "No.9" is not a version #.  It is a brand name produced by the same avatar behind VirtualDisgrace, "peanut", and the "Temple of the Collar".  I hope this clarification helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you use your collar with any form of regularity, I don't think it's any more greedy for a creator to charge for their products than it is petty for someone who whines about a one-time fee of $3 for hours worth of fun .. Besides, you can get collars for free, so it's your choice whether you want to spend anything at all on one.

On 4/30/2021 at 2:25 AM, Anna Nova said:

suppliers are free to engage in cartel-forming, and price fixing

Do you have any evidence of that?

It wouldn't surprise me -- it's what happened in the 19th century, when RL capitalism was similarly more-or-less "pure and unfettered" (which is maybe a funny word to use in the context of this thread . . .). But I've neither seen nor heard any actual evidence of these kinds of practices here.

12 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Do you have any evidence of that?

It wouldn't surprise me -- it's what happened in the 19th century, when RL capitalism was similarly more-or-less "pure and unfettered" (which is maybe a funny word to use in the context of this thread . . .). But I've neither seen nor heard any actual evidence of these kinds of practices here.

No, not evidence.  Just a hunch.  It's always happened before in an unregulated market.  If it's not illegal, and increases profit, what motive as anyone not to do it?

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 7:25 AM, Anna Nova said:

The main issue, however, is that SL is an unregulated market, which means that suppliers are free to engage in cartel-forming, and price fixing.  Which, IMHO, is why some things are so damned expensive.

How do they do that?   The OC scripts are free and open source, or you can pay a bit extra for the forked project if you want to.    There are plenty of people who make animations and collars both, to which it's easy to apply the OC scripts.

Where's the opportunity for a cartel to form?   

• Like 2

Latent patriarchal power structures or not, collars are absolutely fascinating if you're a scripter, since they combine so many important aspects of scripting --  typically, complex menu structures and complex and hierarchical structures of menu permissions, animations, animation overrides, particles and physical movement for chains and leashes, and then RLV takes it all to a whole new level of complexity.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

How do they do that?   The OC scripts are free and open source, or you can pay a bit extra for the forked project if you want to.    There are plenty of people who make animations and collars both, to which it's easy to apply the OC scripts.

Where's the opportunity for a cartel to form?   

I'd moved from the specific example of the collar described in the thread's topic, to the general consideration of SL market economics.  My bad.

And we are not really discussing the scripts, but the package they come in, which is no different from any other item in  the market.

I hope cartels don't form, but I suspect, and it is only a suspicion, that they do.

1 hour ago, Anna Nova said:

I'd moved from the specific example of the collar described in the thread's topic, to the general consideration of SL market economics.  My bad.

And we are not really discussing the scripts, but the package they come in, which is no different from any other item in  the market.

I hope cartels don't form, but I suspect, and it is only a suspicion, that they do.

Thanks, but I still don't see how cartels can form in SL, since there are no natural resources for anyone to monopolise, and no investment or raw materials needed to produce anything, and no barriers to anyone entering any particular market save for their creative and technical skills in a particular aspect of content creation.

You say, 

and I agree, but that seems only to prove my point, since there's hardly any shortage of competent mesh modellers in SL who can make attractive collars in various styles, and it's not now difficult to find scripts and animations to put in them, or people to make animations and scripts for you if you're not satisfied with the existing ones on the market.

SL has been going for almost 18 years now.    Has anyone ever heard of a successful cartel being formed during that time that lasted much longer than it took a few other people to organise themselves to compete with it?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Latent patriarchal power structures or not, collars are absolutely fascinating if you're a scripter, since they combine so many important aspects of scripting

They're great little projects if you need an LSL refresher, especially as they can get complex fast and really reward time spent planning.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry for necroing but I have to just say this,

I don't think it's greedy at all, you're not only supporting a creator, who has worked her butt off to bring you another RLV script into the world of bdsm, but also worked on bringing you collars and giving creators the means to use her scripts she has worked on, herself, just so you can have more collars, more options for your bdsm life and is just trying to give more to the bdsm lifestyle.

You really don't need to buy the premium collars at all, there are free N °9 collars that you can get, however 999L$ isn't that expensive. It's just 5.67$ USD. You are also supporting a creator, you're supporting her by purchasing her collar and giving her the means of working on better scripts and updating her stuff, so you can have more and more enjoyability with your collar.

I don't see what's wrong with spending a little bit of money to support a creator and no one wants to just work on something for months on end only to go unappreciated and talked about as if they were obligated to give you something for free, when they put a lot of hard work into their product.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Emily Nova said:

I don't see what's wrong with spending a little bit of money to support a creator and no one wants to just work on something for months on end only to go unappreciated and talked about as if they were obligated to give you something for free, when they put a lot of hard work into their product.

Nothing wrong with it at all in theory.  In practice, the OpenCollar group doesn't have a tip jar out.  I asked of of the leaders how to donate, and they said they don't take donations. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1054 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.