Jump to content

Avatar on a budget challenge


colleen Criss
 Share

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, colleen Criss said:

I was reading blogs this morning with coffee and came across this. I thought it might be fun and I came to the forums to see if anyone had done a challenge and found none. Anyone else think this would be fun to do?

I read bout it on this blog: https://www.silentraindrops.com/2020/07/avatar-on-budget-challenge.html

Her set budget was LS100.

 

 

@Chic Aeonrecently did a blog post on setting up a mesh avatar for free or very close to free.  Her gal came out looking pretty nice.  You can likely find that on her blog site:  https://chicatphilsplace.blogspot.com/ 

I can't go find the article because my work seems to think there is something suspicious with that site.  Then again, they tend to think most web sites outside of our work domains are suspicious.

 

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

 

@Chic Aeonrecently did a blog post on setting up a mesh avatar for free or very close to free.  Her gal came out looking pretty nice.  You can likely find that on her blog site:  https://chicatphilsplace.blogspot.com/ 

I can't go find the article because my work seems to think there is something suspicious with that site.  Then again, they tend to think most web sites outside of our work domains are suspicious.

 

The first article was March 1 and here. The others are all with the same title but with 2-3-4 etc.

https://chicatphilsplace.blogspot.com/2021/03/the-newbie-onboarding-experience-part-1.html  The onboarding experience. 

Completely free -- here is the last post in the series. She went on to spend some money (not much) and looks even better now.

 

hilly%2Bbrown.jpg

 

Thanks for remembering :D

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, colleen Criss said:

I was reading blogs this morning with coffee and came across this. I thought it might be fun and I came to the forums to see if anyone had done a challenge and found none. Anyone else think this would be fun to do?

I read bout it on this blog: https://www.silentraindrops.com/2020/07/avatar-on-budget-challenge.html

Her set budget was LS100.

 

I never posted here about it, but back in the pre-mesh days, a friend and I challenged each to create a good looking free avatar with wardrobe. You could accept things from people, but not if they bought them for you and you could not spend any money. I enjoyed the challenge and found it easy. My friend did it all inworld, but I used Marketplace for the most part. I documented the process, including links to the free items, and passed it to new people for a year or so. But, it's harder to do this now as a classic avi. There are some sweet mesh bodies and heads on MP though; $100 challenge? I could do more than allright.

image.png.38a6397f507f7c0db70df3ed3110de4b.png

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I've always loved trying to put together an avatar as cheaply as I can. It's fun. I love fashion. One account I have is for this purpose. Below is Flora whose look cost a total of 1L. She isn't perfect, but I really love how she turned out.

Flora_006.png

Edited by Dafadilia Wayfarer
  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
Em 28/05/2021 às 20:48, Dafadilia Wayfarer disse:

Sempre adorei tentar montar um avatar da forma mais barata possível. É divertido. Eu amo moda. Uma conta que tenho é para esse propósito. Abaixo está Flora cujo visual custou um total de 1L. Ela não é perfeita, mas eu realmente amo como ela acabou.

Flora_006.png

Adorei o seu avatar, meus parabens ficou perfeita. poderia me falar se tem alguma regra, como só usar o mundo para comprar as partes do corpo, ou apenas o marketplace? eu amei a ideia. gostaria fazer esse desafio.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't know about the article the OP is referring to until I came across it here today...  But...  I have done 2 complete female avi under $20L...  I actually made one female avi using Ebody curvy and 1 female avi using  for $20L at that time and a female avi using the Legacy classic body $0L...  And... Last week I decided for the first time ever to film the making of a male avi under $200L...  I was also thinking about making another updated female avi since things change so often.  Either way I enjoy doing it.

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

A quick snapshot of the budget look of the day. The head was a past Christmas gift from Lelutka. Skin, hairbase, eyes, and beard came with the head.  With the way the outfit was made so the hands are permanently in pockets, one could get away without a mesh body.  Only alpha layers are needed to hide the system body.

budgetfashion.thumb.png.1e6b34133ffd5bcb5768e120eb1af7ad.png

Shirt and pants:
Pare.Matthew Dad Ensemble - Megapack (Lucky board prize)
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Oliver/108/126/200

Shoes:
Hoorenbeek Chelsea boots (group gift)
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/JT World VI/133/162/23

[Edited to add: I forgot to mention body skin:  BROX [L'Homme] Readers Gift by DNA. Because how else could you see the rest of his neck? ;) ]

Total cost: L$0

Edited by Eddy Vortex
forgot to mention body skin
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

A quick snapshot of the budget look of the day. The head was a past Christmas gift from Lelutka. Skin, hairbase, eyes, and beard came with the head.  With the way the outfit was made so the hands are permanently in pockets, one could get away without a mesh body.  Only alpha layers are needed to hide the system body.

budgetfashion.thumb.png.1e6b34133ffd5bcb5768e120eb1af7ad.png

Shirt and pants:
Pare.Matthew Dad Ensemble - Megapack (Lucky board prize)
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Oliver/108/126/200

Shoes:
Hoorenbeek Chelsea boots (group gift)
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/JT World VI/133/162/23

Total cost: L$0

This is an awesome avatar on a budget !

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Head ak M09 - free gift

body TMP/Legacy classic 1L$

clothes - free - (ajuda brasil)

hair - Jaxon - sl avatar

skin - head from jaxon (BoM)

skin body - nr 33 from body hud ( use nr 33 neck fadders for best results - )

tattoo - for tmp/legacy gift from marketplace- 1 L$ , cant remember where)

pal 1_001.png

pal 2_001.png

pal 3_001.png

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Paladin Tyran said:

Head ak M09 - free gift

body TMP/Legacy classic 1L$

clothes - free - (ajuda brasil)

hair - Jaxon - sl avatar

skin - head from jaxon (BoM)

skin body - nr 33 from body hud ( use nr 33 neck fadders for best results - )

tattoo - for tmp/legacy gift from marketplace- 1 L$ , cant remember where)

pal 1_001.png

pal 2_001.png

pal 3_001.png

He looks pretty good with the AK head and Linden Library skin combo. Very nice!

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Genus Strong head
Lucybody ATENEA
Artizana Adere II sundress
*V* yanna slink high shoes
BS:Lara Hair
CG Facelight 4.1 with HUD
Sweet Victoria earrings (taken from a Caledon avatar)
random dark brown hairbase
#11 Ruth BOM skin from Vlad Blackburns's 30 Skins for Ruth BOM Avatars

Total cost: L$21

The Lucybody Atenea is freaking awesome! I use the free body shaper that's supposed to work with Catwa heads. That gives my main avi nearly 100% Maitreya compatibility, and adds some extra jaw definition to the Strong head. The L$21 was spent on the skin pack, and the facelight from a L$1 avatar.

TheCathedral-AngelsRest-211-34-25_1252am_Aug032021_split.jpg

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love seeing all these efforts, so many well done for not many L! I'm not seeing any(?) though that have a non-default AO so they don't strut around like poorly rigged robots.

What the best cheap AO do you think to add to some of these?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Love seeing all these efforts, so many well done for not many L! I'm not seeing any(?) though that have a non-default AO so they don't strut around like poorly rigged robots.

What the best cheap AO do you think to add to some of these?

I use the New Resident Island AO for my main avi. It comes with the starter BoM avis from NRI. That's how I was able to capture the pose in my photo. Angled view courtesy of Black Dragon, of course!

(For the Linux users... I run Black Dragon using WiNE from the staging branch. I also have the older DirectX runtime pack installed, the one that contains versions 9-11, otherwise Windows SL viewers won't work. I do use Firestorm and Kokua natively.)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/3/2021 at 12:57 PM, Katherine Heartsong said:

Love seeing all these efforts, so many well done for not many L! I'm not seeing any(?) though that have a non-default AO so they don't strut around like poorly rigged robots.

What the best cheap AO do you think to add to some of these?

My usual top four for free AOs are the Vista ones at Ajuda Brasil, the AX-001 and AX-002 at Free Dove, Sweets, and Vows Randomizer.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is my avatar on a budget - actually more than on a budget it's totally FREE!!

 

 I only used what is available right now for someone who was just starting in world an didn't have access to past gifts. I made a new avatar for this and was cheap and didn't even allow 1L.

 

I'm using the Genus Strong Gift head and the default shape that I modified the body (but not the face)- I had to modify the hips to get them to fit the jeans correctly and then I had to make the feet a size 0 to fit the shoes.

G&D Ruth 3.5 body, it's on the marketplace, I found it through Fabfree website and the alpha hud is really nice, it has tons of alpha cuts on it.  And I used Maitreya clothes.

The skin is from Free Dove- 7 Deadly Skins Payton Freckles (it's made for the Genus head)

Hair is  Exile Jordan Fun Color gift.

Shoes- Well Made Jade Sneakers  with color change hud

Top-Scandalize Paty from the Scandals outlet

Jeans- Scandalize Ametails from the Scandals outlet

 

Tuty's free Ao -some of the movements do cause the body to clip through the top.

 

Snapshot_081.jpg

Snapshot_083.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Movie night... 

BROX RIAX!K ZEN body
Caledon bowler hat from a Caledon avi
Attack of the DOC shirt from Film Threat Swag Bag
1/2 of a L$2 mesh outfit from Josse Munro's Trendy Fashion Outlet (Marketplace)
Ir Facelight with 4 setting HUD
Male AO HUD

Total cost: L$3

FilmThreatD-63_250_23-550pm-08052021_crop.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

This is Indra on a budget.

Body is the free Ebody Classic (free instore), head is the Lady head with Aquiline nose from Ca'lum (L$1 marketplace), dress is from Rebels Spirit (L$1 Marketplace), shoes are a group gift from KC (free instore, group is currently free to join). Skin is from 7 Deadly Skins (L$1 sale board in store - the actual skin on offer changes daily, no need to belong to the group to get this). Hair is from the "Amy" starter avatar and eyes are from the "Monique" starter avatar. Total cost; L$3.

I21_011.thumb.jpg.062ab747cc15c69247435e903c0b3f81.jpg I21_012.thumb.jpg.8917034e12b75a26df3890c048a12257.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...