Magazine page turning script - Help Please

AdoriModel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1090 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am unsure if this should go in scripting or in mesh forum, but here goes ...

I am working on a dance routine. On stage, I want a big life sized magazine where the dancer can come out of it, off the page. I would love for it to flip through the pages of the magazine during the routine.  I don't know if something like this exists, or if it would be easy to build.

I am hoping one of you fabulously talented people can provide guidance and point me in the right direction. Thank you in advance!

43 minutes ago, AdoriModel said:

big life sized magazine

I don't know of many RL magazines that are physically big enough to fit a life sized person, so I'm a tad confused as to how you're going to implement that visual effect.

As for page flipping, that's usually done with a special mesh (or potentially multiple mesh objects) that has all of the 'frames' of the page being turned and you turn them visible/invisible in fairly quick succession. If you want it to be really smooth, you either need a lot of 'frames' (high Li) or you need someone who can pull off some animesh wizardry (animating non-humanoid things in SL (and in general) is even more difficult than normal animation)

back to 'jumping off the page' if you mean something like

b7f4ab7c0c8a59f0d75b1d68f9588609.jpg&f=1

you could possibly get something like that to work, especially if you can do some post-processing (i.e. the performance is not live) but you would probably need careful control of not only the book but everything around it.

14 minutes ago, Quistessa said:

As for page flipping, that's usually done with a special mesh (or potentially multiple mesh objects) that has all of the 'frames' of the page being turned and you turn them visible/invisible in fairly quick succession. If you want it to be really smooth, you either need a lot of 'frames' (high Li) or you need someone who can pull off some animesh wizardry (animating non-humanoid things in SL (and in general) is even more difficult than normal animation)

Assuming the magazine is an oversized prop item, and that the page is a mesh separate to the main model, you could probably make use of llSetKeyframedMotion to make the page turn.

Might not look as natural as an animesh solution or the multiple mesh 'frames', but would be a relatively efficient way to achieve a smooth page turn without jerkiness or stupidly high LI. (The negative being that the page wouldn't bend as real paper does as you turn it)

10 minutes ago, Quistessa said:

I don't know of many RL magazines that are physically big enough to fit a life sized person, so I'm a tad confused as to how you're going to implement that visual effect.

back to 'jumping off the page' if you mean something like

b7f4ab7c0c8a59f0d75b1d68f9588609.jpg&f=1

you could possibly get something like that to work, especially if you can do some post-processing (i.e. the performance is not live) but you would probably need careful control of not only the book but everything around it.

Thank you so much for your reply, Quistessa.

Responding in order: When I say life sized, I mean inworld life sized. Very much like the illustration you posted. Picture a magazine opened to a centerfold, the model posed within the photo, also the avatar would be in the exact same pose and move off the page ... if that makes any sense. It works in my head. LOL

I would want the page transition to be smooth. I would be using the Spot On Choreography system, and would hopefully be able to control the page turning this way. I didn't even think about animesh, thank you for mentioning it.

The performance would be live, but if said magazine had to be a video of some sort, I would need to figure out how to stream the video; making the streaming prim big enough to give me that life sized look and then my avatar would come off the page (moving through the phantom prim of the streamer).  I have never done video with SL, so unsure what would be best to use if having to go this route.

Just now, Jenna Huntsman said:

Assuming the magazine is an oversized prop item, and that the page is a mesh separate to the main model, you could probably make use of llSetKeyframedMotion to make the page turn.

Might not look as natural as an animesh solution or the multiple mesh 'frames', but would be a relatively efficient way to achieve a smooth page turn without jerkiness or stupidly high LI. (The negative being that the page wouldn't bend as real paper does as you turn it)

I appreciate your input Jenna. I was thinking about the magazine being an oversized prop item. I didn't consider doing the pages separately but that does sound like it could work. Where would I use the //SetKeyframedMotion ? I am guessing in the Editor/Contents/Script ... would I need any other scripting for it?

4 hours ago, AdoriModel said:

if said magazine had to be a video of some sort, I would need to figure out how to stream the video;

There are a couple ways of getting a moving image on a thing in SL, but I don't think the two that come to my mind would work for your purposes very well. llSetTextureAnim, is fairly lo-resolution. and 'Media On a Prim' cannot be synced across viewers with any degree of accuracy. (people will see different parts of the video at the same time, or not see the video at all if they have media turned off)

2 hours ago, Quistessa said:

There are a couple ways of getting a moving image on a thing in SL, but I don't think the two that come to my mind would work for your purposes very well. llSetTextureAnim, is fairly lo-resolution. and 'Media On a Prim' cannot be synced across viewers with any degree of accuracy. (people will see different parts of the video at the same time, or not see the video at all if they have media turned off)

Thank you, Quistessa, I appreciate your input.

Something like this?

I built it so you can just drop the images in the inventory of the book. Named 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ...

It will just play until it gets to the end of however many pages you dropped in there and then restart.

If you want to try it out, IM me in world and I will send it over.

Edited by Evah Baxton
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Evah Baxton said:

Something like this?

I built it so you can just drop the images in the inventory of the book. Named 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ...

It will just play until it gets to the end of however many pages you dropped in there and then restart.

I could def find a use for this!! 

36 minutes ago, Mowri Panache said:

I could def find a use for this!! 

1 hour ago, Evah Baxton said:

Something like this?

Exactly like this. You are amazing, Evah. I will IM you shortly. Thank you so very much.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1090 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.