"old" mesh bodies & clothes

Quarrel Kukulcan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1079 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Do you have a mesh body already? If so, get demos and experiment. I've made a bunch of standard size clothes work if I used a BOM alpha, which often comes with those clothes already. 

Or you can adjust your body to fit with the sliders. The idea of the 5 sizes was that if you set your body to a certain set of measurements, no matter what body it was, it would fit. You can then save that shape to use the next time you want to wear it.

FitMesh was supposed to fit everybody in theory, but in practice doesn't, so again, demo it and see if you like it. (That's for the ones that just say "Fitmesh" with no other info, which I don't see very often. Sometimes it will say Fitmesh and be the 5 sizes, or "Fitmesh for Maitreya" or whatever, in which case it will fit those sizes or bodies.)

7 hours ago, BookishMelinoe said:

Do you have a mesh body already?

Okay. Bad question. Sorry, it was late.

What mesh bodies that have 3D sources available are compatible with the 5 standard sizes or system-AV-targeted "FitMesh" clothing? I know about the Ruth/Roth project and the source files on the SL wiki & machinimatrix, and I'll probably experiment with them either way, but I figured someone here already knew.

Edited by Quarrel Kukulcan

5 hours ago, Quarrel Kukulcan said:

Okay. Bad question. Sorry, it was late.

What mesh bodies that have 3D sources available are compatible with the 5 standard sizes or system-AV-targeted "FitMesh" clothing? I know about the Ruth/Roth project and the source files on the SL wiki & machinimatrix, and I'll probably experiment with them either way, but I figured someone here already knew.

If you are just trying to learn and practice then Ruth 2 is likely your best bet. Honestly standard sizing never really worked (hence the DEMO comment above)  so it really isn't an awfully valid question as far as I can see. SOME standard sizing fit SOME bodies but not others and the underlying shape made a huge difference in the fit -- and then of course there was the skill of the creator.   Maybe you need to explain more what you are trying to do.  I think Shin's bodies are the only CC0 ones out there.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

SOME standard sizing fit SOME bodies but not others and the underlying shape made a huge difference in the fit -- and then of course there was the skill of the creator.   Maybe you need to explain more what you are trying to do.  I think Shin's bodies are the only CC0 ones out there.   

My understanding is that standard sizing was aimed at specific system AV shape presets and predates mesh bodies -- or, at least, comes from when they were still quite rare. (I know standard sizing predates the Fitted Mesh feature by at least two years.) I'm not expecting them to fit anything else.

Basically I'm looking to experiment with heavily modified humanoid shapes, seeing what advantages they might have over the alpha-and-attachments route.

Edited by Quarrel Kukulcan

2 minutes ago, Quarrel Kukulcan said:

I'm not expecting them to fit anything else.

Basically I'm looking to experiment with heavily modified humanoid shapes, seeing what advantages they might have over the alpha-and-attachments route.

What I am trying to explain is that they never really (often) fit the standard avi.   Most any old timer that was there could tell you that :D.  A few things fit now and then but I of course was blogging then too and things SO did not fit.  Fitmesh was a bit better but until we got specific bodies with clothing made FOR those bodies, there was very seldom a realistic look on anything that actually needed to fit. Baggy sweaters and long skirts were fine. Most pants "changed your shape" since you needed to alpha out most of your body. 

I wish you luck with your project. 

I concur that the Ruth 2 mesh body is the best chance to see Standard Sizes and Mesh working, it's very close to the original avatar, but can give you full materials and BOM. It's not perfect, but close enough to be useful. There are several free or near-free versions on the Marketplace.

Some of the names used by merchants can be horribly misleading. "Fitmesh" for mesh bodies other than the classic type, and mesh body brands such as Legacy. It makes searches difficult.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1079 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.